Have imitation crab meat can I make crab cakes with it?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Have imitation crab meat can I make crab cakes with it??

Last post Sep 22, 2006 6:43 PM by dangit . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Have imitation crab meat can I make crab cakes with it??
    Hi I purchased a package of imitation crab meat. Does anyone have a recipe to make crab cakes with it. Off to work will check in later
    Thanks
    Linda
    False
  • RE: Have imitation crab meat can I make crab cakes with it??
    I found this recipe in the search. I have made them before using the imitation crab, didn't use a "recipe", just kind of tossed Old Bay, onions, celery, bread crumbs, eggs together to form patties. They came out perfectly fine! Good luck!

Janet

Ingredient of the day - Imitation seafood (called surimi) -please add your recipe
    Posted by: leasa926 Posted on: 1/30/2006 11:04:30 AM
    #R7078954
    Best Ever Imitation Crab Cakes
    Serves: 4
    Hands-On Time: 15 Minutes
    Cooking Time: 12 Minutes
    Total Time: 27 Minutes

What you need:

1 egg
    3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1 tablespoon minced green onions
    8 ounces Imitation crabmeat
    1/2 cup crushed buttery round crackers
    1 tablespoon butter

What you do:
    1 In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, mayonnaise, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, tarragon, and scallions. Gently stir in Imitation crabmeat, being careful not to break up meat. Gradually mix in cracker crumbs, adding until desired consistency is achieved.

2 Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Form crab mixture into 4 patties. Place patties in skillet, and cook until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes on each side.

False
    That sounds really good, I am going to copy that one.
    Bakerfreek
    False
    I have found when I use the imitation crab in cooking (heating it)it tends to become sweeter. I don't know if that is a concern for you, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in! LOL!!

Lea
    False
    I have used canned crab (good brand)
    Like Janet I just toss it all together.
    sway
    False
    Thanks so much going up to the kitchen to make now, refrig till it is time to fry up. I think they will hold shape better if a little cold
    Linda
    False
    Please let us know how this turns out.I have a pkg of it hat I don't know what to do with.
    False
    Hi I made the crab cakes tonight, they came out good.I use the crab meat ( imitation) chopped up, 2 eggs, mayo, seasoned bread crumbs, old Bay seasoning,salt and pepper. I don't measure, just enough so they would hold their shape. then made patties and dipped them again in bread crumbs.
    Put in refrig for a couple of hours, then fry them in oil. They were very good, except next time I think I would put a little onion and garlic in them.
    Linda
    False
    I have wondered for years if that would work. I have a fantastic deviled crab recipe and really would like to try it as the fresh crabmeat is soooo expensive.
    Will definitely have to try it.
    Tria
    False
    This is a wonderful treat - for an appetizer or an entree. It is not quick and easy but the product is worth all the work and effort.

Deviled Crab

Pick over 1 lb. crab meat, removing cartilege and any bone - set aside.
    I always use fresh - never tried it with canned.

chop finely: 1 large green pepper
    1 medium onion
    3 or 4 garlic buds

1 can whole tomatoes - medium size - to me that is around 15 oz.

3 eggs
    Bread crumbs - I use the one in the can - the plain ones

Peanut oil

Cover bottom of an electric skillet with olive oil and saute (over low heat) gr. pepper, onion and garlic - until translucent.
    Strain tomatoes, mash and add to onion mixture.

Cook about 1/2 hour on medium high heat. Keep turning mixture constantly, so it won't stick.
    Add crab meat and season w/ salt and pepper - fresh ground - not too much salt! You can taste - no eggs in it yet!
    Keep cooking and turning mixture until bone dry - this is important and you do have to watch - don't burn - just let it get dry.

Cool mixture in refrigerator.

Beat eggs - set aside.

Dampen your hands and shape crab mixture into croquettes, using a heaping teaspoon of mixture.

Dip each croquette - finger shaped, not a patty - in bread crumbs, then in beaten egg, then in bread crumbs again. Set on a wax paper lined platter. You might want to set these in the refrig. - lightly covered with plastic wrap or wax paper for a few minutes if you did not do this quickly and you think they are not still cold.
    When well shaped - and still chilled, drop in deep fat. Fry until golden, remove and drain well. Serve as quickly as possible. These will go fast. Serve with your favorite cocktail sauce - or even a very good salsa. Make sure it has a bite to it. Actually when we used to eat these deviled crab rolls from the restaurants - and from the "carts" in Ybor City (Tampa area) we used to sprinkle Tobasco - or Crystal sauce - on them when we ate them.
    Oh, dear - a blast from the past!!!!

False
    bumping for the next mess of fresh crab I have to pick out. LOL. Thanks ladies, Connie
    False