Green color under potato skins | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Green color under potato skins

Last post Sep 24, 2006 10:02 PM by TexasroseII . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Green color under potato skins
    Many times I have bought bags of potatoes and find they are green just under the peel. I have read that you must peel these and cut off the green. If this is accurate, you can not use for baking potatoes. Is this your understanding? Thanks for your help. Opal
    False
    Photobucket
  • RE: Green color under potato skins
    I was always told to cut off the green portions. I found this on a websearch:

Q. Are potatoes poisonous?
    A. No. The potato tuber, the part we eat, is not poisonous, however the potato plant is toxic. Green portions on the skin of the potato are also toxic.

Q. What is the green coloring on the potato skin?
    A. The green on the skin of a potato is the build-up of a chemical called Solanine. It is a natural reaction to the potato being exposed to too much light. Solanine produces a bitter taste and if eaten in large quantity can cause illness, this is unlikely, however, because of the bitter taste. If there is slight greening, cut away the green portions of the potato skin before cooking and eating.
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Potatoes

America's most popular vegetable, potatoes can be boiled, baked, fried, microwaved, steamed, or roasted, with or without their peels. They're often paired with butter, sour cream, or oil, but left to themselves they're quite low in calories and loaded with nutrients.

Store them in a cool, dark, dry, well-ventilated place. Don't refrigerate them--doing so converts some of the potato's starch to sugar.

And don't expose them to direct sunlight, which turns them green and makes them bitter. Scrape away any sprouts or green spots, since they might contain a mildly toxic compound called solanine.

False
    If I had gotten a bag of potatoes from the grocery store and they had green under the skins, I would take them back! I grew up being told not to eat the green also as it is toxic.
    False
    I picked up a tip to avoid getting "green" potatoes. When choosing single russets for baking or bags of potatoes in the grocery store, dig down to the potatoes that are not directly under the flourescent lights. This helps.
    False
    the green is from the potatoes being exposed to light while they were growing. the green should be cut off before using, it can be toxic.
    False
    There is nothing wrong the the potatoes when they are like that. I get them like that almost all the time here.
    False
    Andrew Weil, MD says,

Solanine is a significant toxin, but you are unlikely to run into trouble with it in our part of the world, because we grow potato varieties that do not produce much of it. That is not the case in Peru, where potatoes originated, and some older varieties can contain high amounts. A 200-pound person would have to eat two pounds of fully green potatoes in a single day to consume a toxic level of solanine. Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, mental confusion, shortness of breath, weak and rapid pulse, and, eventually, respiratory failure.

There hasn't been a single case of solanine poisoning due to eating potatoes in the United States for more than 50 years.

False