How do you cook a tender and moist roast beef? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you cook a tender and moist roast beef?

Last post Oct 05, 2006 1:39 PM by Bosox_MA . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • How do you cook a tender and moist roast beef?
    I have not yet cooked a roast that wasn't tough and dry. If anyone could tell me what kind of a roast to buy and how to prepare and cook it, I would really appreciate it. We hope to have roast for our Thanksgiving dinner on the weekend but I am afraid of another disaster. I don't have a slow cooker or crockpot so I will have to use the oven. Thanks for any help you can give.
    False
  • RE: How do you cook a tender and moist roast beef?
    I take a chuck roast, put it in a crock pot and cover it about 3/4 with water or beef stock, season with salt and pepper. Let it cook on low all day and it will be the juiciest, most tender roast ever. It's just way to easy and way to yummy!!!
    False
    This is DEEEEEE-lish!! :)

To Die For Pot Roast
    1 beef roast, large enough to fit in your crockpot
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
    1 pkg. brown gravy mix
    1 pkg. Italian dressing mix
    1/2 C. warm water

Place roast in crockpot. Mix all three envelopes and sprinkle on top of roast. Pour water in the bottom of the crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours.

Note: Can use half of seasoning packages without jeopardizing the taste. Also you can add more water at end for more gravy.
    False

I just don't think a roast tastes any better than one from the crockpot. I use a couple cans of cream of mushroom/chicken and either a can of french onion or a packet of onion soup. Then I put beer in for the liquid. :) Sometimes season with other herbs.

Hugs,
    ♥Marcia
    False
    The prettiest roasts always turn out the driest for me. I learned about chuck roast and now that's all I use. Is is very forgiving! This type or roast is best cooked with moist heat, hence a crockpot and extra liquid added. But since you don't have one, I found a post of someone trying Cubbybear's To Die For Roast Beef using a regular oven method. You will love chuck roast!
    Posted by: nsbffm Posted on: 8/23/2006 12:32:27 PM
    #R7995197
    I roast at 350 degrees. If you have dry onion soup mix you can add a package of that. Cubby has a recipe on here called To Die For Pot Roast if you have stuff on hand for it. If not, just flavor it the way you usually do for the crockpot and just add extra water-about half way up the roast. I did one yesterday about that size and it took three hours but I probably could have taken it out sooner. I then let it rest thiry minutes before cutting. It was perfection in a pot.

False
    My friends mom told me to bake at 300 for 3 hours with foil as the cover.

I use a shoulder roast. Or, ask the butcher at the store to help you pick out a good meat. I do that too.

Then I mix a can of reg. coke (cannnot be diet)

1 can of cream of celery soup
    1 env lipton onion soup mix (i get the beefy one)

Maybe try out a recipe or two before the big meal day. Good luck.
    False
    It is entirely dependent on the cut of meat. you cannot stick an eye round in a crockpot and cook it for 10 hours and expect it to be fall apart tender. it's too lean. chuck roasts on the other hand are perfect. some roasts need to braised and others don't. the leaner the roast the less time you to cook it. going back to the eye round again as an example, because it is so lean, if you cook it well done, it will be dry and leathery. but if you cook it at most medium then it still retains enough moisture and tenderness.

best advice i can give you is to get yourself a good meat book. i don't necessarily mean cookbook but one that explains the different cuts, with pictures and the various names used for each cut. it also tells you the best way to cook it as well as "acceptable" ways to cook it. the one i have is called Meat & Seafood Guide. I got it at the meat dept at the grocery store.
    False

If you have a roasting pan (with a lid on it), You can use whatever you want for flavoring (smearing prepared mustard all over the roast and a palmfull of salt is a great flavor), and just make sure you have an inch or two of water in the bottom of your pan (after you put the roast in). Slow-bake it for 4-5 hours, and baste it every now and then (maybe every 45 min, maybe) with the juices from the bottom of the pan. If it is a "tall" roast, you may want to flip it (very careully!) about 1/2 way through your baking time.

I think Mom baked her roasts at about 300* for about 5 hours. (very rough guess at the time and temp, I do all of mine in the crock-pot)

I hope you can get it perfected:)
    False
    Check out my blog, www.mycountrycupboard.blogspot.com to see how I do it!
    Here it is, I love this book. Best ten dollars I ever spent.

http://www.tryfoods.com/consumer.asp
    False

This site may have helpful advice for you:

http://www.best-loved-beef-recipes.com/roastbeefrecipes.html
    False
    For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's futures, and we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy Click for Manassas, Virginia Forecast
    This is how I make roast beef.

Put roast in an iron skillet.

drizzle all over with olive oil.
    sprinkle with garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, onion powder.
    slice an onion in 4ths put it around sides. (sometimes I just use a pkt. of dry onion soup mix)
    put in a little water on the bottom but not much. Tent with foil, until half hour before done. Take out when it reaches 155 (f). Put on cutting board and continue to tent loosely with foil for about 15 minutes. Use juices in pan to make a gravy, stirring in some wondera flour or corn starch. (add to taste, salt,& dill weed) and water and beef buillon cubes after you cut your roast use drippings to add to gravy and whisk in.
    False
    Amy
    I agree that a chuck roast is the best and forgiving. I prefer to bake it in the oven in a pan with a lid. I start on top of the stove, browning the roast and onions. Then I will use either a can of cheap beer or a single serve size of red wine. I also add enough water to nearly cover the roast. The beer or wine is a great tenderizer and you can rarely taste any difference. The seasonings beyond salt and pepper depend on my mood. Lately, I have used bay leaves, garlic and onion soup mix. Baking it in a 300-325 oven will be as tender as the crockpot. The time depends on the size of your roast.
    False
    Here is Paula Deen's version of the rare prime rib roast beef. It really is foolproof and delicious! We have been using this recipe in our family for many years! When we are ready to serve the roast, we only cook it for an additional 15-20 minutes, because we like it rare. You also must let it rest for 15 minutes before carving, so the juices can redistribute. Enjoy!
    :)
    Ellen

Foolproof Rare Roast Beef
    by Paula Dean, Foodtv.com

1 (5-pound) standing rib roast
    1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with House Seasoning; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.

House Seasoning:
    1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    Mix together & store in airtight container. Keeps 6 months.
    False
    And Maddymoo posted this one~

Perfect Prime Rib-Maddymoo

1 prime rib roast (size doesn't matter)
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup rosemary
    1/4 cup horseradish powder
    1/4 cup garlic powder
    1/8 cup cracked black pepper

Combine seasonings, and rub into roast.
    Let sit while oven preheats to 375.
    Place roast in broiling pan, fat side up or bone side up.
    Bake for 45 minutes.
    Turn oven off, DO NOT OPEN OVEN.
    One hour before serving, turn oven back on 45 minutes.
    Take rib out, LET STAND FOR 15 MINUTES.
    This is VERY important, it allows the juices to distribute.
    Do not carve"ahead of time", either.
    Serve with au jus and horseradish sauce.
    False
    Foolproof Rare Roast Beef~
    Okay, I looked up my recipe notes. We cook the roast at 375 for 45-50 minutes in the morning. Then, 1/2 hour before serving, turn the oven on to 375 and cook roast for 15-20 minutes for rare, and 30 minutes for medium.
    Good luck!
    :)
    Ellen
    False