How to thicken spaghetti sauce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to thicken spaghetti sauce

Last post Oct 06, 2006 1:44 AM by Mimosa2 . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • How to thicken spaghetti sauce
    I made some great spaghetti sauce, but I felt it was too thin, I really wanted it to coat the spaghetti.
    Help...how do I thicken my sauce so it sticks?
    False
  • RE: How to thicken spaghetti sauce
    Tomato paste will do the trick!
    False
    I learned from my mother to put a bit of water in cans after emptying foods like tomato sauce or paste, to get all the product left in the can. Then add that to the sauce.

I stopped doing that when making spagetti sauce because even that small bit of water, waters down the sauce.

I now use a spatuala to get all the product out of the can.
    False
    I assume you made a tomato-based sauce? You can simmer to evaporate off the excess water.
    You can add extra ingredients. Italians often add shredded carrots if the sauce is too acidic. That cooks down quite mushy and adds body. You can also add some cream cheese to make a creamy pink sauce, which is decadent. Or add shrimp. Or diced red peppers.
    Make sure your pasta is well drained, so it doesn't add extra liquid.
    Also, I have noticed that BArilla makes a lot of their pastas in a "rigate" style, which is ridges in the spaghetti, rigatoni, linguine. These ridges help the sauce adhere to the noodle, and my husband loves them. It's less messy to eat.
    False
    I always add some Instant Minute Tapioca to my homemade spaghetti sauces. Works like a dream.
    Penny
    False
    Gosh I can't believe my hint of adding about 1/2 cup to a cup of Romano/Parm. cheese to the sauce has not been suggested,I also add that amount to my meatballs .....Shirley
    False
    An elderly Italian Lady now deceased, told me never to add oil to the water when cooking pasta of any kind, it does not keep it from sticking together (stirring when adding pasta to water does that)what it does do is keep the sauce from sticking to the pasta. She was a wonderful cook. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

I use italian flavored bread crumbs to thicken the sauce.
    False
    Tomato paste, works like a charm every time. I also make my own sauce and this thickens it up perfectly.
    False
    allow the pot to simmer, uncovered on low, stirring frequently. This allows the excess water to evaporate and the sauce will thicken. Also the flavors concentrate.

I do the "rinse out the can with water thing too" :)

Kathleen
    False
    One more vote for tomato paste! It's the best.
    False
    Voting to add the parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce and cooking down to evaporate the excess liquid.

If in a hurry I would add tomato paste to thicken.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

The tomato paste is my favorite, unless I want to change the taste for some variety. Cheese. Feta, parm, other goat cheese. cheddar seems to be to stringy. My Greek Grandfather sometimes used a roux and if I'm lazy there is that wondra flour that mixes straight from dry.
    False
    Your sauce will thicken naturally just by letting it simmer for several hours with the pot lid partially on the pan, stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick to the bottom and scorch. If you cover the pot tightly, condensation will keep collecting on the inside of the lid and keep dripping into your sauce and thinning it out. And as others have said, add some tomato paste to the canned tomatoes or tomato sauce. My Italian relatives, all excellent cooks, never added other thickning ingredients - just a lot of slow cooking.
    Anne
    False