My Husband forgot my birthday! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

My Husband forgot my birthday!

Last post Jan 11, 2013 2:28 PM by gommyof5 . 46 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1234
  • My Husband forgot my birthday!
    Sorry just have to get this off my chest. My husband of 7 years COMPLETELY forgot my birthday yesterday! I never forget his..ever! I make him a special cake, get him a nice present and card, make a wonderful meal or we go out. But what did he do for me? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I barely got a "Happy Birthday" out of him. He then proceded to spend all day at work and when he got home..late..all he asked was what's for dinner. (This being 10 at night) I told him whatever you fix, and went to bed. I spent my 33 birthday alone. I am mad and upset and just feel so empty. He is getting his car detailed, serviced and new tires put on it this weekend. He is spending $$ on that d*mn car and what do I get? Zip! Oh he's trying to suck up a bit today...but I don't even want to put up with his play acting crap. I haven't even heard an "I'm Sorry" from him. Sorry the rant...but I just needed to let off some steam.
    Thanks for listening.
    Melanie
    False
  • RE: My Husband forgot my birthday!
    Been there and had that done to me, so yes I do know how you must feel.
    Sorry, My advice would be.. to do the very same thing to him when his birthday comes around. Go out for the day with your friends... come home late after spending a day of shopping buying yourself something that you've been wanting for a long time.
    Maybe the next time your birthday comes around he won't forget it.

Tylo7
    False
    yeah it happened to me but when Dh thought about it made him feel bad. He jusst forgot
    False
    I'm sorry.
    I know the feeling. My 50th birthday was on a thurs. DH didn't say a word but I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he'd been working 16 hours, off for 8 and back on for 16, I figured he was just tired that morning and would remember later. Didn't happen. The next day he got off early to start his vacation. Kinda made me mad that he remembered his vacation but not my birthday but I still kept quiet, waiting for him to say something. Never happened. To add insult to injury, on Tues, he mentioned that his driver's license expired on wed, (which also happened to be his birthday). Needless to say that's when I lost it and chewed him out. To make him feel even worse, on his birthday I made a point every couple hours to say happy birthday. Sorta rubbed it in. I also went to the jewelry store and put a saphire and diamond ring on layaway and didn't even mention it. A couple weeks later he went and spent $400. on fishing gear and I said oh good, now I can get the ring I saw at Marks and Morgan. Then I let the subject drop.

Our 15th anniversay was exactly 2 months after my birthday. Not only did he remember, but he told me to go get the ring I wanted (which I was planning on getting whether he said so or not) and we spent the week on Dauphin Island, lol.

If you haven't already done so, go get yourself a nice new "pretty" and tell him since he couldn't be bothered to get you anything, you got it for him.
    False

Melanie
    Sorry your DH forgot your birthday. I've also had that happen. It sure isn't a very nice feeling.
    For about 5 years my DH didn't bother to get a card for birthday, Valentines or Anniversary. Now-I buy myself something and he brings me home a card. On my birhtday he never remembers in the morning but its interesting to see what time he remembers because he phones on his cell.
    Perhaps your DH will make it up to you today. Is this the first time he forgot?
    Happy Belated Birthday!
    hugs, Wendy
    False
    I've been married 28 years. Have learned that I "HAVE" to remind him starting about a week ahead of time that my birthday is such and such date!!!! I tell him he BETTER get me a card! Then I tell him what "I" want. Men are just that way, they "need" to be reminded, at least mine does!!!

Janet!
    False
    I'm sorry your DH forgot your birthday. I'm sure it hurt a lot. A couple weeks before I give my entire family a warning like they do in the newspaper before Christmas. I say," Oh gee, only 10 more shopping days left before my birthday." Then I repeat it a few times as the days go by, " OH, only 7 more shopping days before my birthday." If it looks like my DH hasn't had the time to buy something, then I help him by picking something very nice out. I even give him a box and wrapping paper. I ask him to wrap it. He always finds me a beautiful card. Then he takes me out for the evening too. I always get to chose the place and activity.

I also warn my extended family about my kids' birthdays because they would never remember on their own. It works for me, and no one is ever sad or disappointed.

Amy
    False
    It's funny because Janet posted the same thoughts just before me as I was writing. I should add that we've been married happily for 20 years. My DH is in his 50's so I go easy on him. We help each other, and he feels good because I care enough to be gentle in areas he isn't so good with.

False
    Hi Melanie, sorry for your DH's memory bleep....It is rough on you being so far away too. Husbands don't always do the "right thing" but just show him how forgiving you are. For his birthday make him a sponge cake...take a round or square piece of foam rubber and frost it with a lot of frosting and if you can decorate it and "surprise" him with his special Birthday cake....I think this is called "not getting mad but getting even" just love him...take care Shirley
    False
    My husband and I have been together for six years, married for three. He has a very hard time remembering the "date" of my birthday. Periodically, we'll all quiz him and make fun with it. Last year, while he was at work, he called me and asked me if I would like to join him for dinner that evening at a very fancy restaurant. I gladly accepted!!! He picked me up, promptly at 6:00, and we headed off to dinner. While drinking our wine and having a wonderful conversation, he slipped me a card. I opened it only to find a beautiful birthday card that made my eyes tear. Not so much because of the words and kindness in the card, but because he was exactly two months too early!!! I NEVER SAID A WORD!!! Just enjoyed the dinner, wine and card.

Two months later, I called him at work and asked him if HE would like to join ME for a glass of wine at a local bar. He accepted and met me at the bar, only to find 20 of my friends joining us for my "birthday party". Imagine the look on his face when he realized what he had done a couple of months before hand.

Needless to say, when we quiz him now, he remembers!

I know it hurts when your birthday is forgotten by your DH. When your birthday, or any special event, is approaching don't hesitate to remind him. And YES, they do need to be reminded.
    False
    Melanie, as you can see, you are not alone. My DH wakes up in the morning and wishes me a happy birthday. That is my celebration. Sometimes he asks if I want to go out with him and the kids to get coffee at a coffee shop. That would be fine if he placed the order, paid for it and brought the coffee and pastry to the table but he just sits down with the kids and I get to serve them all. I wish you luck with trying to get your DH to be more sensitive. Do go out and treat yourself to something special.
    chefly
    False
    Over the years my DH has forgotten mine too, but he forgets his too. Had a party for him one time,table decorated and he didn't notice.
    A little suggestion, a couple of weeks before every family member start reminding him, even his own.
    False
    ]
    Well.. a belated Happy Birthday from me. Believe me when I tell you..most men need a lot of reminding about things such as this. I know mine does and we've been married 42 years, it also helps to really concentrate on his better qualities and why you married him in the first place.
    False

There has been several years DH has said wasn't your birthday last week? I forgot my own birthday.
    If it is important to you that your birthday is remembered then remind people ahead of time it's your birthday coming up and what you expect from them. That will save a lot of stress and being upset about it.
    False
    I'm sorry, Melanie. It was my Birthday yesterday, too. It is my favorite day of the year, and everyone I know KNOWS it! LOL! Like Janet & Amy, I am not subtle about reminding my family!!!

I remind DH that I want a cake, because I LOVE Birthday cake! We only have one son left at home, but I insist on candles on the cake & that they sing HB to me!

I agree with those who said you need to go out and buy yourself a lovely present "from" your DH. Show it to him and thank him!

And next year, do the Birthday countdown!
    ;)
    Ellen
    False