HELP! I ran out of baking powder | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

HELP! I ran out of baking powder

Last post Oct 11, 2006 8:12 PM by Opallu . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • HELP! I ran out of baking powder
    I need 3/4 t of baking powder. Is there anything I can sub for it?

Thanks
    False
  • RE: HELP! I ran out of baking powder
    BAKING POWDER – There are three ways you can substitute for baking powder, depending on the recipe:
    1 teaspoon baking powder equals 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar; or, 1 teaspoon baking powder equals 1/2 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt: and 1 teaspoon baking powder also equals 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/3 cup molasses. When using the substitutions that include liquid, reduce other liquid in recipe accordingly.

False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Those liquid ones are a pain, this one is more simplified.

Substituting for a lack of baking powder is very easy: 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for each teaspoon of baking powder required.

But how would you cut this to equal 3/4 tsp, the above is for 1 tsp. substitution. Now Im confusing myself.

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
    False
    I've used this soda/cream of tartar recipe for baking soda, and it worked just fine. I wouldn't use it in place of stocking the real thing in my pantry, but it's good to know about this last minute trick. CeCe
    False

If I just need 3/4 tsp., I'd mix up the 1 tsp. as directed and measure out 3/4 tsp. to use.
    False
    Photobucket