Rec. Amish Dressing/Stuffing | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec. Amish Dressing/Stuffing

Last post Nov 02, 2006 7:44 PM by imkatiesmom . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Rec. Amish Dressing/Stuffing
    I posted this earlier for someone looking for Amish filling.

This is THE BEST dressing in the world! From the Der Dutchman Restaurant in Walnut Creek, Ohio.

Dressing-Stuffing

1 loaf of bread, diced and toasted
    2 C. boned, diced, cooked chicken
    1 C. diced celery
    1/2 C. diced carrots
    2 C. chicken broth
    2 T. butter
    1 T. chicken base
    1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. salt
    6 eggs, beaten
    5-6 C. milk
    1/2 tsp. seasoned salt.

Mix all ingredients well. Fry in small batches in skillet.

My note:
    •This makes a lot of dressing.
    •The next time I make this, I'm going to try baking it instead of frying.
    •When you fry this, make sure you stir it often.
    •This is a really moist dressing.

Mellissa
    False

• RE: Rec. Amish Dressing/Stuffing
    Bump--It's tried and true. Made it a couple of months ago.
    False

Do you think this recipe would be ok to bake instead of fry? I have too much going on trying to prepare Thanksgiving meal to stand over this but would like to give it a try.

Debbie
    False
    Thanks! Frying? Wow. different!

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Mellissa, thanks so much for the recipe. I will be trying this for Thanksgiving. I'm from Ohio too, I grew up not far from Walnut Creek. I used to live in Newcomerstown, In fact most of my family still does. I remember eating at Der Dutchman with my grandparents lots of times. Its a "real blast from the past" recipe. Where in Ohio do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I would love any other real ohio amish recipes you might have...could you post afew for me? I live in Germany with my DH, (he's in the Army) and we don't get to Ohio to visit much anymore. I miss the food so much. (Especially the trail baloney you can only get in that area!)
    Take care,
    Melanie
    False
    Bumping for imkatiesmom.
    False
    Mellissa,

This sounds so good. May I ask what chicken base is? I'm going to try this for Thanksgiving.
    False
    bumpy-bump-bump!
    False
    Cinnamama, here's another similar dressing recipe I posted. It has directions for baking. I was going to try to use the first recipe, but bake it according to the second one.

This one is from Marcia Adam's Cooking from Quilt Country.

Amish Dressing

2 (1 pound) loaves of high quality bread, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
    2 pounds poached chicken thighs
    1/2 C. minced fresh parsley
    3/4 C. chopped onion
    1 C. chopped celery
    1 C. shredded carrot
    1-1/4 C. finely chopped boiled potatoes
    1 T. rubbed sage
    1 T. celery seed
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. tumeric
    5 eggs
    1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
    2-1/2 C. homemade chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350º. On 2 cookie sheets, toast the bread cubes for 15 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown. Transfer to a very large mixing bowl. Bone the chicken and very finely chop the meat, discarding skin. Add the chopped vegetables and chicken to the bread, along with the seasonings. Toss. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs; add the evaporated milk and broth. Pour over the bread mixture and blend. The mixture will be quite moist. Allow to stand 1 hour. Preheat oven t 350º. Transfer the dressing to an oiled 3-quart casserole that is 10 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep (at this point, dressing can be frozen for future use; thaw before baking). Bake dressing for 2 hours, or until the center of the dressing puffs up and is golden brown on top.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Melanie-I'm from Castalia, which is near Cedar Point, on Lake Erie. We try to make it down to Amish Country 3-4 times a year. I'd love to post some more Amish recipes. The book I bought from Der Dutchman has tons of recipes from the employees. What would you like? Desserts, cookies, meats, casseroles, breads, salads? Just let me know.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    i12cook--Chicken base is similar to boullion; a soup starter. It's in the soup aisle at the store. I like Orrington Farms brand the best. It's really good in soups, dressings, gravy, etc.
    False