Turkey Leftover Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Turkey Leftover Recipes

Last post Nov 27, 2009 12:00 PM by klm525 . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • Turkey Leftover Recipes
    OK Folks...lets start a post for things to do with leftover turkey.

I had one...but I'll have to find it. lol.

My tried and true recipe tho is a Turkey Sandwich! ROFL!!

See why I need help?!
    False
  • RE: Turkey Leftover Recipes
    We have had this soup every year since I can remember and im 41. Its rich and delicious.

Turkey Soup

1 Turkey carcass
    3 qts. water
    1 Tab. salt
    1 Bay leaf
    2 Tabs. worchestershire sauce
    Put the whole carcass in large pot.
    Boil and Simmer all of the above for 1 1/2 hrs.
    Remove carcass, remove all meat and return to pot. ( I strain the whole thing for small bones)

Add and simmer for 15 min:
    2 c. celery
    2 c. carrots
    1 c. onion
    2 c. potatoes
    Before serving add:
    1/4 c. fresh parsley (I used dried)

Karla
    False
    Karla
    This recipecame in an email and was posted by "Sandy". I haven't tried it but it sounds good and would certainly look festive.

Turkey in the Bundt (Leftover Turkey)

This tried-and-true recipe is adapted from the makers of Nordic Ware. Simple and flavorful, the milk, eggs and cheese make this bundt casserole moist. Can be served with vegetables of your choice in the center of the rings, and garnished with apple slices, etc.
    This dish can be "lightened-up" using your favorite ways, and will still retain flavor. To freeze: cook, thaw, remove from pan (or not) then wrap well and freeze. To cook after freezing: thaw completely, then re-heat (covered or wrapped in tin foil) at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. If frozen whole, place frozen food in the bundt pan, covered with foil, with the bundt pan in a larger pan of water, and
    re-heat.

8 servings
    1½ hours 20 min prep

6 cups dry bread, cubed (can use cubed stuffing, if using seasoned stuffing, be careful adding herbs later)
    2 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey
    2 cups good swiss cheese, grated
    1 small onion or 2 leeks, diced and sauted in oil
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons any combination dried herbs (sage, thyme, marjoram, oregano all work well if using fresh herbs, use at least 1 TBS.)

Place 3 cups of bread cubes in the bottom of a greased bundt pan. Place turkey evenly over bread. Spread Swiss cheese over turkey. Sprinkle with sauted onions or leeks. Top with remaining 3 cups of bread cubes.
    Combine beaten eggs with milk and seasonings and pour over the mixture in the pan. Place bundt pan in a pan of water; I use a 9" x 13" pan for this. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Remove from water pan and cook and additional 10 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
    Cool for ten minutes. Use a plastic spatula to carefully lift turkey mixture away from the pan. Invert onto a platter.
    False
    Every year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving I take every single bit of my leftovers which usually include Turkey, gravey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, veg all casserole, mashed potatoes and whatever else is on the Thanksgiving table except the cranberry sauce or relish. I dump it all into a huge dutch oven and heat it all up and let it simmer for about an hour, stirring often. I can not tell you what a good soup it makes. I serve it with hot rolls and butter. Yum Yum!!! It doesen't seem to matter what I had from year to year, it always tastes like the best turkey soup I ever had.

Now you all know what's for dinner here tonight at Jan's house lol. Sorry I can't give a real recipe but that's what I do.
    It's real cold here today so it will sure hit the spot tonight.

~Jan~
    False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

A friend made this and I had not eaten it, but really liked it. Don't have amounts but use how much you want to.
    Make a package of cornbrean, regular not the sweet. You want it thin, I cooked it in a large glass oblong pan. The one that you could use to cook a cake. Turns out about 1/4 inch thick.
    You can put the sauce and turkey on the cornbread in one dish at this time, but my friend wanted single servings. ???

Made a cheese sauce, two or three cups. Sliced turkey, heated in this sauce. You need enoug sauce so it won't be dry.

In individual bowls cover the bottom with cornbread, add some turkey and cheese sauce. Another small piece of cornbread and some sauce. If all of this is hot you want have to heat it, but if it isn't, cover with foil and heat in oven. We put this in those square corning dishes, so we could heat in over if we needed.
    I didn't expect to like this, but I did, had cranberry sauce too, and a small salad.
    False
    ]
    just made this for dinner. It was delicious and so easy. I did modify a little and what I used is in ().

Creamy Turkey Soup

1/4 cup butter
    1 cup chopped green onion (I used regular onions since i didn't have green)
    2 cups frozen sliced carrots, thawed and drained (I used fresh)
    1/4 cup flour
    5 cups turkey broth divided (I used chicken stock not broth)
    2 cups milk or cream
    2 teaspoons salt (I used a lot less, base it on taste)
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    3 cups cooked turkey
    8 oz. noodles (I didn't use noodles at all)

Saute onions and carrots in butter until soft, not brown.
    Add flour and mix well.
    Gradually add 2 cups broth and milk.
    Cook and stir until it thickens.
    Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth, and all remaining ingredients.
    Simmer 10-12 min until noodles are tender stirring occasionally.

I cooked mine on the stove on low for a couple of hours.
    False
    I loooooooooove this with leftover turkey.

Turkey in Curry Sauce
    Originally from Taste of Home Newsletter.
    Serving Size : 4

1/2 cup onion -- chopped
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 can chicken broth, (14 1/2 ounces)
    1 cup half and half cream
    2 teaspoons curry powder (I use 3 tablespoons)
    1 or 2 cups cooked turkey -- diced
    hot cooked rice
    1/2 cup peanuts chopped (I use) OR --
    1 cup sliced almonds

In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.

Shake flour and broth together in a tupperware.

Gradually stir broth mixture into onions & butter; bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. (It will be the texture of a gravy at this point.) Reduce heat. Add cream and curry; mix well. Add turkey; heat through.

Serve over rice; sprinkle with peanuts or almonds.

Turkey in Curry Sauce is a delicious entree with a hint of curry flavor and crunchy nuts.
    False
    Eventhough this is for chicken (& it's so yummy!), I'm going to substitute my leftover turkey.

CHICKEN STUFFED SHELLS

3-4 bone-in chicken breasts, cooked
    1 regular box Stove Top stuffing mix (chicken flavor)
    16 oz. sour cream
    Family-Size can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup
    milk (half of the soup can)
    12 oz. box jumbo pasta shells
    Mozzarella cheese

Boil/simmer your chicken for 1-2 hours or until done. Remove from
    saucepan and let cool a little.

In the meantime, cook the Stove Top
    stuffing according to box directions, set aside.

Cook the box of jumbo pasta shells according to box directions, lay out on waxed paper to cool a little.

Tear up the cooked chicken (approx. 4 C)with your fingers, or cut it up and add to the stuffing along with the 16 oz. container of sour cream.

Mix all together.

Mix the cream of chicken soup and milk together. Put a small amount
    in the bottom of two 3-quart baking dishes.

Stuff the shells with the chicken mixture. Place in baking dishes.

Spoon cream of chicken/milk over top of shells.

Sprinkle mozzarella
    over top.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.

Makes about 37 jumbo stuffed shells - plenty for a family of 4 or 5.
    Or if you have a small family like I do, you'll have plenty leftover
    for supper the next night or for lunches. I'm not sure if this would
    freeze well or not. But that would be another idea.

Stephanie
    False
    Hi,
    I usually will take the leftover turkey and make turkey enchilada casserole.
    Chop turkey up in food chopper or if you don't have one I have also pieced apart the meat.
    1 Pkg of corn tortilas (at least 16)
    1 pkg taco seasoning
    1 lg can 30 oz of green chili or red enchilada sauce.
    1 meadium onion chopped
    approx 2-3 cups of Jack and cheddar mix cheese. Or you can make it with what you like.
    1 sm can diced chilis

Heat turkey meat and add taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil and mixture should thicken some.
    Take a 9X13 Pan and pour some enchilada sauce in to coat the bottom.Put a layer of six tortillas and then a layer of turkey, sprinkle with 1 hand full of cheese and some chopped onion and diced chilis and repeat. Tortillas,sauce,turkey, onion, cheese, chilis. Should be 3 layers then top with remaining sauce and cheese and cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes then take off the foil and melt the cheese for 5-10 minutes. Very good.
    False
    Anymore? Try the one I had with cheese sauce. It is very good.
    False
    ]
    Chop about 3/4 cup of turkey, 1/2 cup stuffing and mix with 1/2 -3/4 cup gravy.Put in the bottom of an individual casserole, layer on leftover veggies, corn, peas or whatever you have then cover with mashed potatoes.Bake in toaster oven at 350F for 30 minutes. Serve with cranberry sauce and any other leftovers you have.Yum!
    I usually make a few of these and freeze them.
    False
    Humm, since this item is available at most grocery stores, was surprised to see no one posted this........turkey chilli! Any spice rack has packages of various spices, get one for chilli. Bet most kitchens have all of the ingredients handy. Tomato sause, beans, n the spice package. I added some hot sause. Remember, turkey has no fat, so you 'may' want to add some oil.
    False
    I make this thru the year, too! It's good.
    cilla/NW FL

Deep Dish Turkey (or Chicken) Pot Pie (T & T)

1 2/3 c. hot water
    1 (6 oz) pkg stuffing mix for chicken or turkey
    3 c. cooked turkey or chicken, chopped
    1 (10 oz) pkg. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
    1 (12 oz) jar turkey gravy

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Add water to stuffing mix; stir just until moistened. Set aside. Place turkey & vegetables in a greased 2 qt. casserole dish. Pour gravy over turkey mix, stir gently then top with prepared stuffing. Bake 30 mins or until heated through. Makes 6 servings.

My notes: I used chicken and a can of Veg-All veggies. I used Heinz chicken gravy in the jar. I mixed the gravy with the chicken and veggies and topped with the stuffing mix. Make sure to use the stuffing mix that has the dried seasonings in it...not just plain bread. This was good and I will make it again. Great way to use leftover meat.
    False

cilla / NW FL               

• Re: RE: Turkey Leftover Recipes

Bump

False

• Re: Turkey Leftover Recipes

This is my absolute favorite for using up leftover turkey or for serving informal company.  It is so good!

Turkey-Chile Casserole Recipe 

This is an old favorite of ours. I use it for ladies' luncheons, and family meals or family gatherings. Very useful and versatile. It is good made with leftover Thanksgiving turkey or with poached or deli chicken meat. I usually like to add a larger can of diced green chilies (7 ounces). I do not butter my tortillas in order to lower the fat content and the resuts are just as satisfactory IMHO. However that step was part of the original recipe so I have left it in, listing it as optional. The recipe came from BH&G.

45 min | 15 min prep | SERVES 12 -16

4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (to taste)
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
    9 corn tortillas
    4 tablespoons softened butter (optional)
    1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    1 cup chicken broth, regular strength
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine turkey (or chicken) meat, chilies, onion, and soup.
    2. If desired, spread tortillas with butter. Cut each tortilla in half and arrange 6 halves over bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
    3. Spread a third of the turkey mixture over tortillas, top with a third of the cheese. Reapeat layers of tortillas, turkey, and cheese two more times. Carefully pour the chicken broth over all.
    4. Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated throughout and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
    5. Cut in squares with sharp knife and use a spatula to remove each serving.

False