How to clean up an old fashioned meat grinder so I can use | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How to clean up an old fashioned meat grinder so I can use

Last post Dec 05, 2006 9:16 AM by BaileyvilleWV . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • How to clean up an old fashioned meat grinder so I can use
    I have one of these & forgot about it until I saw another post on here.
    The grinder needs to be cleaned both inside & out & it has black spots on the outside not really rust?
    How can I clean & restore this so I can use it?
    I do not have a countertop or table that it will clamp onto so I would like to know how & where to secure it.
    Thank You,
    Marie
    False
  • RE: How to clean up an old fashioned meat grinder so I can use
    I don't know about cleaning it, but I clamp mine onto a pull out bread board.
    False
    Thank you. I do not have a pull out bread board or a counter top with an edge or a table with an edge.
    I'm wondering if one of the blocks Pampered Chef sells for their apple peeling machine would work.
    Marie
    False
    I had one and I washed it, wiped it with vegetable oil, poured some oil in the parts I couldn't reach. Then "ground" a lot of bread. Until it clean. Every time I used it I put bread throuogh it. When I stored it I wrapped it in newspaper then put in a paper bag. I wish I still had mine, lost it in a house fire.
    False
    ]
    Last night on the Food Network Alton Brown used a meat grinder and cleaned it. He washed and let it dry, then he put rice in a ziplock bag and the grinder too. Not the big parts,just the inside parts. I did not think of storeing in rice and he used bread too.
    False
    ]
    The black spots on the outside are probably oxidation spots--nothing to worry about. The pampered chef board might work. As an alternative, if your neighborhood hardware stores will cut pieces of plywood, you could get a two foot square piece of 3/4 inch thick piece. Might still nead to put a weight on the back side to hold it steady while you are griending.

Good Luck, Bobbi Jo
    False
    I have a large wood cutting board that we just lay on the counter. The kitchen table would work. Clamp the meat grinder to the cutting board by letting the board extend somewhat over the counter. I usually put a cake pan under it to catch what I'm grinding. I have a food processor but I like the texture you get from the grinder.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey