buttermilk expiration date? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

buttermilk expiration date?

Last post Dec 05, 2006 3:31 PM by two4tea_MN . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • buttermilk expiration date?
    I have some unopened that has passed the expiration date(argghh!!!). I googled to see how long after I could use it. Most places said for a few weeks after expiration date. Your thoughts? It always smells sour so how do you tell? I hate to throw it out, especially since it is unopened, but don't need anyone sick!(and DH wants the rolls I originally bought it for:))Thanks for any help.
    False
  • RE: buttermilk expiration date?
    5-7 days max past the expiration date. We got really sick drinking some expired buttermilk before, the date was wore off/marked on and we didn't know it was expired. Lots of of people say it is only bad when you see the lumps in the buttermilk, but, our buttermilk wasn't lumpy :O(
    False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.
    does it make any difference that I will be baking with it and not drinking it?
    False
    I have used it expired for baking and unless it it moldy I think it should be good. Like you said it is sour anyways.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    mine is 11 days old. (i forgot it was in my downstairs fridge). Normally I wouldn't even question it, just throw it away, but the other sites said ok for a few weeks! Oh...what to do?
    False
    I'd use it. I do it all the time. I find it so hard to use up a quart by the exp date. As long as it flows freely I use it.

Gail
    False