Question about sweetened condensed milk - need help FAST! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about sweetened condensed milk - need help FAST!

Last post Feb 20, 2004 11:06 AM by TriainAtlanta . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Question about sweetened condensed milk - need help FAST!
    What color is sweetened condensed milk supposed to be? I got too long winded!

I just opened two cans of sweetened condensed milk to make the coconut macaroons (recipe in recent magazine flyer). The first I threw out. There is no expiration date - and the color is sort of a lighter butterscotch. The second can is the same, but I decided not to throw it out and ask for help. I have no idea how long they have been in my pantry - but really do not think too long. It has been a long time since I used this product, but I usually try and keep it on hand. I have thrown one out before for the same reason. I always remembered it as being a yellowy white. I will not taste it, so don't tell me to do that. I need advice before I either risk making it - not going to do that, for sure - or throw it out!!! Thanks to you all! HELP!
    Tria
    False
    Tria
  • RE: Question about sweetened condensed milk - need help FAST!
    Waiting for your expert advice!
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Hmmm...mine is always an odd color...never milky white. I just thought it was supposed to be like that because of the sugar content.

CJ38
    False
    When I dumped it out (second can) in a bowl to mix it up, it got creamier, but still butterscotch colored, of course.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    It's probably fine. Feed it to your husband..ha ha ha..just teasing.

CJ38
    False
    I used some a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't white, it was more like yours. I think it's okay!

~~susie.
    False

I hate to say this, but I think you wasted two cans of perfectly good milk. It is supposed to have an off-color. Mine always does, anyway.
    False
    OOPS...wasted one can, I mean.
    False
    Mine is always a taupe color.
    Tastes great too!!!

Gail
    False
    Hi Tria,

I have had sweetened condensed milk the color you are describing. I was leary, but used it. I made the Paula Deen Banana Pudding recipe, and it came out great. I tasted it, and it tasted like it was okay (I am like the taste of sweetened condensed milk). A couple of cans since have also had that odd color? Is it Eagle Brand? The ones with the odd color I had were store brand, don't know if that makes a difference?

Corinna
    False
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I knew I could count on you guys! That is why I didn't throw the second away! I'm off to bake these macaroons and it is an easy recipe - will post if they are good - and I'm not dead from food poisoning! Ha, Ha! Just kidding!
    Have a good day - and I hope things go well for Linda Chicken's dad.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Bebe - you are right - these are Kroger Brands - I will always buy the Eagle Brand from now on. Maybe that is why I noticed the difference!
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    Tria,

Mine were Kroger TOO! It was on sale during Christmas so I bought that instead of the Eagle Brand. Eagle Brand is off white too, the Kroger stuff was definitely a different shade LOL But it tasted fine and worked out great. I even made the Dolce de Leche (caramel in a can) with it and it came out fine. Let us know how your coconut macaroons come out! YUMMY :o)

Corinna
    False
    To Whom it May Concern: Please be advised that I, the undersigned, am hereby absolved and indemnified of any and all matters concerning bad taste, gastric distress, illness (including but not limited to food poisioning) and/or death concerning the above solicited advice concerning the aforementioned question on sweetened condensed milk.

Hadaplan
    False

Tria

I just have to ask, you mentioned my Dad? Did I say something? I really don't know what your talking about.
    *Grin*
    ~~LindaChicken

False

Photobucket