OT: Does the man walk on the outside of the woman now when they are on a sidewalk? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: Does the man walk on the outside of the woman now when they are on a sidewalk?

Last post Dec 12, 2006 11:32 AM by lilamomPR . 29 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 12
  • OT: Does the man walk on the outside of the woman now when they are on a sidewalk?

Does the man walk on the outside of the woman when they are on a sidewalk? ... like he would walk next to hte curb.

papa and I have been discussing this for the longest since last year. we noticed that ususally it is the woman walking next to the curve.

Just a question of curiosity ...
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

• RE: OT: Does the man walk on the outside of the woman now when they are on a sidewalk?
    Still should be the (ever so gallant) man - a throwback to the days when garbage (and worse) was thrown, rather than poured, out of upstairs windows. Would hit the person farther from the building - nearer the street. Also, careless carriages would splash the curb-side person instead of the one next to the building.

Have never heard of any changes in the ettiquette.

Ed
    False
  • RE: OT: Does the man walk on the outside of the woman now when they are on a sidewalk?
    I make him walk by the curb so if he makes me mad I can push him when the bus is coming!!! LOL

OOOPS you didn't hear that from me.
    False
    My DH and I still do.
    But my hubby feels that its just a act of protection and respect for a woman. To be honest I really like it that he is that way but you are right, you don't see it that often any more.
    Guess we are just old school Granny B. :>)

Hugs,
    Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

yep old school ... by the way hi nancy!! .... before the wheel chair papa always walked next to the curb and opened my door first and opened doors for at other places .... tonight we saw a wife pushing a baby carriage next to the curb and her husband was walking beside her next to the building.

ed, i never knew where the manners came from for doing that... just knew i always felt safer. thanks for the input.
    False

Hi Granny good to see you this evening.
    My DH still opens doors to buildings also but I'm afraid that he has become alittle slow with car doors. LOL But still sometimes remembers when his friends are watching.**giggle**
    I always thank him so guess that is why he still does it after the past 30 yrs. :>)

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

A gentleman will always walk on the outside for protection for the woman. DH still does that for me.

TC

False

Sheeeesh!!
    Are there still sidewalks?? LOL

(It is clear that I've been living out in the country toooooo long)!!

False
    I think its an archaic tradition (jmho). I don't think most people even think about who's walking where. Because my husband is deaf in his right ear, I walk on his left side so he can hear me. So sometimes that's curb side and sometimes it's inside.
    False
    Depends on what age you are talking about. For the most part, anyone under 21 isn't going to care either way. The women/girls are 'equal' to the boys/guys and they walk however they end up walking. No one really notices or cares which side they are on.

For 21-40 it could go either way. Most don't care anymore...

False
    My husband I never pay attention to where either of us are walking. Since we have the two kids though we make sure they are on the inside of a sidewalk or away from cars in parking lot etc. My husband doesn't open the car door for me but he does open doors to buildings etc.

It's kind of funny cause sometimes when i have both kids and am trying to carry the baby my daughter will end up on the wrong side. She'll tell me, "Umm, don't you think I'm not very safe over here."
    False
    Cassie ~ Mommy to Hayley and Connor
    We still do.],I feel weird if I'm on the outside.
    Ada
    False
    I still like the man to walk on the outside, open doors,(building, car and house) and take off their hats indoors. Yes, that includes those baseball caps. And lets not forget pulling out the chair.

I am not sure where or when these traditions slowly went away, but I think they should be brought back. I guess it takes the parents or grandparents to do it. I sure hope we get back to gallantry. After all dont all little girls think that they are the Princess.
    False
    It's the man. I learned this as a young many years ago and when I talked to my husband about it a few years ago he said he never heard of it.I guess his mother was too busy to teach him that with all the kids and farm work they had to do. But it has been the mannerly thing for a very long time. I believe even before victorian days.
    False

I love it also as I lke being a lady.
    my dd used to stand and wait for the sil to open the door, etc. now with three little boys she says they are doing good just to get everyone in the van at the same time. haha
    my son was taught this and when we were out with son and his and he didnt do it i would whisper in his ear do it for his wife .... one day he whispered back she doesnt like for me to do that ... said she can do it herself. haha

another thing we used to open the doors for the elderly, those with armfuls of kids, pregrant women, and especially handicapped ... but you would be so surprised that those who will sit and watch us trying to get a wheelchair into those narrow doors. when someone does hold open the door we thank them several times.
    False