???????About Cooking Turkey early | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

???????About Cooking Turkey early

Last post Nov 11, 2011 6:11 AM by enjoynature . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • ???????About Cooking Turkey early
    The other day several people mentioned they cook their Turkey the day before Thanksgiving . I want to do that and just have a couple of ??
    Do I just stuff it with celery, an onion and carrots?
    When it's done, do I slice it and put broth on it before putting it in the fridge or slice it and then put the broth on the next day to reheat?
    False
  • RE: ???????About Cooking Turkey early
    I cook my turkey on Wednesday with stuffing. Once cooked, I take the stuffing out and put that into Tupperware. Then we slice the turkey, pick the bones, put some into Tupperware for Thursday and the rest goes into the freezer.. I buy the largest turkey I can find for lots of left overs ... I have a 24# this year. On Thursday I re-heat the turkey in the microwave with a little broth or gravy. I have one oven; this works great so I have the oven to cook all the side dishes.
    Cathy
    False
    I'm sorry but I really hate reheated turkey--it tastes old to me. I have a friend who does this but she always wonders why it tastes different--dah!To me any meat reheated is not that great!!
    False
    Well Duh--if you do it right you can't tell the difference. I completely cover mine with broth and then put back in the oven covered with foil and reheat while the sides are cooking.
    False
    i am planning on doing my christmas turkey a day ahead of time. i'm going to put the sliced meat into my nesco to warm it up and then it will be ready to be served buffet style.
    False
    This subject has really intrigued me--I love do ahead stuff. When you cover your turkey with the broth, do you remove some for making gravy and keep the turkey in the remaining broth to reheat?
    False
    I put the broth in the pan to cover--if I have some left I refrigerate to use in gravy. I make my gravy last thing so I pour the broth off of the turkey after I take it out of the oven from reheating to make my gravy. Covering the turkey is absolutely neccesary to not have that rewarmed taste. I also immediately freeze whatever I know our family won't eat after I slice it up the night before. This makes the frozen fresher tasting from not setting in the fridge for a couple of days before freezing. The day before method also makes for juicier turkey because you can let it set for 30 or so minutes before slicing,giving the juice time to set in the meat instead of running out when you carve too soon.
    False
    Earlybird,
    So am I understanding that the broth is poured on the turkey after it is sliced and left in the broth all night and then reheated?
    Are you talking about pan drippings or broth?
    False
    Hi Bizeebarbie: I just saw your post, so this comes a little late for this holiday. I don't always do mine ahead of time; however, for a few years in a row, I transported the turkey to my son's house. What I did was cook the turkey the day before and slice it down. I took along my small electric roaster, and when I got to my destination, I added a little water to the bottom, placed the rack with foil over it so the turkey and stuffing wouldn't fall through. I then stacked the turkey on one side and the stuffing on the other. Set the temperature to the lowest setting, and it should take about 1/2 hr. to 45 minutes to warm everything up. You can sprinkle a little turkey or chicken broth over everything if you wish. It's delicious and moist!

I cooked a turkey breast yesterday and will warm it up that way; however, I also have a small turkey cooking right now. Incidentally BarDu doesn't like reheated turkey, but that's everyone's preference, and our differences are what makes the world go around. In my opinion, the big tom's taste a little gamey when reheated; that's why I go with a breast and a small hen.

God Bless! Don't forget to count your blessings!

Janet
    >^..^<
    False
    Bizbeebarbie:

I didn't read all the posts until I sent my response. For broth you can use chicken broth. However, I always cook the neck and giblets with a piece of celery and some onion. You can use some of that and use the rest to make your gravy. I make my gravy ahead of time using the recipe I posted awhile back.

Janet
    >^..^<
    False
    bump
    False

I have cooked turkey many times the night before, both a whole turkey and turkey breast. Once it has been cooked and cooled (reserve cooking juices), without slicing, I cover tightly with aluminum foil and refrigerate. The next day, before serving, I then slice it and put it in a pan, cover with the reserved juices (or you can use gravy) and reheat in a low oven. You cannot tell it has been prepared in advance and is just as delicious as if made that day.

Arlene
    False
    Do you brine your turkey the nite before cooking? It seems that would make it more juicy. I'm a die hard believer in cooking the turkey the day it's served but my friend always cooks hers the day before. Some people like white meat well done.
    False
    i know this is an old post but it has being bumped up ..... i cook my turkey ahead when i do the church "BANQUETS" ... i'm asked every year how come my turkey is soooooo good

i cook my turkeys to day ahead and let them cool ...

carve it the next day and pour about 3 ins. off chicken broth all over the turkey so... which is about 2- 28 oz. cans of broth ( i have big pans and lots off turkey..... likely 1 28 oz... can would be all u would need for a 20 lb. bird .. ) i cover the pan with foil and reheat just before dinner .... the turkey is really moist and tastes sooo good .. i cook it that way at home as well ... a lot less heat in the kitchen the day off the dinner ...
    False
    Truffles
    I always bake mine the day ahead early in the day. We have some for supper the night before. Then of course for Thanksgiving. I slice mine up after baking(one less thing to do thanksgiving)and put it in my large roaster or sheet cake pan. Put dripping all over it. Cover and refrigerate. Then hour before everyone is suppose to come. Put it in the oven to warm. There is usually always plenty of dripping leftover to make gravy. Which I have stored in another container from the day before and make gravy out it. Less work Whatever occasion with the turkey baking half the day. And enjoyable.
    False