Paraffin wax for Choc. Peanut Butter Balls | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Paraffin wax for Choc. Peanut Butter Balls

Last post Dec 15, 2006 7:22 PM by Skyfire . 24 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 12
  • Paraffin wax for Choc. Peanut Butter Balls
    I am making chocolate covered peanut butter balls and my recipe calls for paraffin wax. Does anyone know where I can find it? I have looked at several stores in the baking section but could not find any. Thanks for your help! This is also posted in Recipes-Desserts.
    False
  • RE: Paraffin wax for Choc. Peanut Butter Balls
    It's been a couple years since I bought any.....but it seems like the last time I bought it.....I found it in with the canning supplies.
    False
    I'm just about to start making mine, butter is softening on the counter as I type. If you lived next door I'd give you some of my paraffin, I've got a whole unopened box. Yes, check where the canning supplies are, and if you can't find it just ask one of the clerks. It's sometimes considered a seasonal item, but most of the grocery stores around here carry it all year round.
    False
    Check a hardware store too, sometimes they have this in their housewares sections. A craft store may also have it.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    i've never added wax to my chocolate. if you use the candy coating it's unnecessary. if you temper the chocolate it's unnecessary.
    False

I would not have thought to look in the canning supplies. I looked in a craft store, but only in the baking section. Which is better, the wax and chocolate or the chocolate candy coating? Thanks for all your help!
    False
    I've never used the chocolate candy coating. My recipe calls for a combination of chocolate chips, hersey bars and the paraffin, and I always make about triple the amount of coating as the recipe calls for although I only triple the chocolates, not the paraffin, because the original recipe doesn't make nearly enough to easily dip th balls in to coat.
    False
    One thing, what does that wax do to your system? Does someone out there know? I can't imagine digesting wax.

Grace
    False
    Apparently not anything if used as directed - I've been making these things for about 20 years.
    False
    Look on the store aisle where they have canning supplies like jars,pectin and such. That's where I locate mine at the store.
    False
    Info from website:

According to the Food Additive Handbook, paraffin is most often an adhesive component, coating, or masticatory substance used in chewing gum base. Food-grade paraffin has also historically been included in recipes for some candies to make them look shiny. Paraffin also stabilizes the final product, preventing fat bloom. Although food-grade paraffin is edible, paraffin is indigestible and has a laxative effect if consumed in high enough amounts! There are no commercial confectionary products which contain paraffin. Special confectionary coatings (chocolate, white or pastel-colored) are sold which can easily be melted and used for dipping or molding a variety of confections

To avoid using paraffin in recipes, consider substituting vegetable shortening instead. Vegetable oil will also substitute for paraffin without the associated safety hazards. Alternately, use a special confectionary coating sold for dipping or molding.
    http://www.wisc.edu/foodsafety/assets/foodfacts_2005/wffFeb2005.htm
    False
    Would you please post your recipe for the peanut butter balls. I used to make them many years ago and have since lost my recipe. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Ellen
    False
    I used to use the wax in my Martha Washington Candy, but I now just use chocolate chips with 1 Tbs. Crisco or Wilton's chocolate wafers. The blocks of chocolate coating works well, too. Wilton's dark chocolate is delicious, and you don't need to add shortening. Hardens very quickly, unlike the chocolate chips. You can find Wilton's in the cake decorating sections at some Wall Mart stores, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. I just finished coating strawberries with the dark chocolate Wilton wafers.
    False
    Photobucket
    PLEASE SHARE YOUR RECIPES FOR THESE.
    THANK YOU. My DH has asked several years for me to make these. I tried once & they were too WAXY so guess I did something wrong.
    Thanks.
    False
    I agree with the people who say to use chocolate discs or waffers from cake and candy decorating stores. You do not have to add parafin...and why would anyone want to eat wax, but also consider that most candies that are mass produced already has parafin in them so you will just add more to the candy if you add it.

If you live in CA SEES candy is wonderful, and one of the reasons is that it does not have parafin in it. The chocolate discs at cake and candy decorating stores runs less than $3.00 per lb. and is extremely easy to use. If you are unaware of how to use them, they will tell you how. They also taste much better than the wiltons candy.
    Denise
    False