where do you buy cinnamon oil? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

where do you buy cinnamon oil?

Last post Dec 17, 2006 6:33 AM by Gram11 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • where do you buy cinnamon oil?
    I wanted to make a hard candy recipe that was posted. I have Goodmans imitation cinnamon oil. I ask at Wal-Mart pharmacy about the oil. they looked at me like I was crazy. I looked around the extracts and none there. I see you can buy it online, but do not really want to do that.

recipe by bakerfreek
    CINAMON ROCK CANDY
    1c water
    3 3/4c sugar
    1-1/4c light corn syrup
    1 tsp red food coloring
    1 tsp cinamon oil-(you can order this at any pharmacy)
    1/3c powdered sugar
    Line a 15x10in baking pan with foil,spray foil and set aside.In a large heavy saucepan,combine the water,sugar,and corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over medium heat,stirring occasionally.Cover and cook 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.Uncover,cook on medium-high heat,without stirring until candy thermometer reads 300 degrees(hard crack stage)about 25 minutes.
    Remove from heat, stir in cinamon oil
    (keep face away as mixture is VERY STRONG)Immediately pour into prepared pan.Cool completely(about 45 minutes)Break into pieces, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
    I usually use a small hammer to bust it up.This makes your whole house smell so very good.

Whoever trys this I really hope you enjoy it, it is a beautiful red, and everyone who I have made it for thought it was the bomb.
    Merry Christmas Bakerfreek
    False
  • RE: where do you buy cinnamon oil?
    Try a real pharmacy. I bought some but it has been years ago.

If/when you make this, be prepared for the fumes of the cinnamon. I wasn't and it was quite a shock. Instant headache.

Might also try a craft store, just in case. Or a health food store.

Good luck with your search.

K
    False
    Thanks! I never thought of the health food store. We have one in our town. Good idea.
    bug
    False
    Our Walmart has it over by the cinnamon oil; it is usually over by the wintergreen alcohol and that sort of thing; however, you may need to ask your Walmart associate at your Walmart, since managers set their stores up differently.
    False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.
    We have a Giant Eagle and they have it by the pharmacy
    False