CAN YOU FREEZE LEFSA? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

CAN YOU FREEZE LEFSA?

Last post Dec 21, 2006 11:52 AM by LibraryLinda . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • CAN YOU FREEZE LEFSA?
    I have found a good lefsa in a groc store and would like to get 2 or 3 packages and freeze them. There are 12, on top of each other and loosly rolled. Would it be OK to freeze them that way? THANKS..........
    False
  • RE: CAN YOU FREEZE LEFSA?
    Sure. I've actually even bought it frozen.
    False
    Thanks to Basketcase!!! Will get some and freeze it............
    False
    The little Lutheran church I used to go to in S.D. makes 100+ dozen every year in September & October and freeze it and then sell it in November. Best lefse in the world. (That "best" might be a slight exaggeration, but not much.)
    False
    We pick up some every summer when we go to MN on vacation & I would always toss a couple in the freezer. Now I can get it here in IA too!
    False
    I freeze them all the time. But I fold them in half, then fold again, put 2 or 3 in a plastic bag, then press out most of the air. They come apart really easy when thawed.
    False
    Hey you guys...I'm missing somthing. What is LEFSA? It must be good.

Barb
    False
    Lefse is a round thin flatbread, pretty much like a tortilla in appearance. It is more tender than a tortilla. It is a Scandanavian tradition at Christmas time. When my Minnesota friend comes to escape the cold weather, she brings me some she has made from this recipe. They eat it just with butter, but I go non-traditional and eat it with butter and cinnamon sugar, or honey, or jam.

Lefse

6 quarts white or russet potatoes
    Salt to taste
    ½ cup butter, no substitutes
    ¼ cup oil
    ½ cup heavy cream
    ½ cup sugar
    Flour

Cook potatoes and mash with all but flour. Sandy prepares the day before and makes the lefse the next morning. You need the potatoes cold but not frozen. Measure 4 cups potatoes and put through potato ricer. Add 1 cup flour to 4 cups riced potatoes. Roll pieces of dough as thin as possible on pastry cloth with cloth sleeve on grooved or plain rolling pin. She says the secret is to roll them as thin as you can. Fry on grill until spotted brownish, kind of like a tortilla. When each is cooked, she stacks it between 2 dish towels with another heavy towel on top so they cool slowly without drying out. The full recipe will make 80-100, depending on how large you roll them. She brings them frozen. cj
    False
    I call lefse norwegian tortillas which used to drive my norwegian mother-in-law up the wall.

Also I made it often and she really liked it-I like it better made from Wis white potatoes but they are hard to come by if you do not live in Wis.

Never refrigerated the mashed taters-not necessary unless you make so many that you cannot do it all in one day.

Good eating!
    False
    This is a wonderful treat but trust me, if you want to make it, you need help the first time or two. You need a good recipe, special equipment and some know how. I do not make this but I do like it. Most grocery store lefse is not good, but if you can find a good source for homemade or store bought, it is good. We like it with butter and a little bit of sugar.
    False
    I have started making lefsa, now that I have a recipe that calls for instant potatoes. DH and I make several batches before Thanksgiving and freeze it. It is still great when we use it at Christmas time. Four year old GD thinks there should be lefsa in the freezer year around. I agree that there is nothing like homemade lefsa.

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Jogie
    False
    Check out the book, Lefse by Gary Legwold (Heart warming stories and recipes too! TLT
    False
    I buy 'in bulk' when we go to Wisconsin for the holidays. One thing that I've learned, is that I can't just toss a package in the freezer and come back later to eat it...it dries out. I learned the hard way, that I need to use my vacuum sealer. When I vacuum pack each package, they keep almost all year until I can get up north 'to the good country of Wisconsin' to stock up or I order from there and have it shipped. It's one of those foods that's just wonderful! Trish
    False
    I have a vacuum sealer too, and wondering just how you do it? Haven't had very long, but when I tried it one time when food wasn't frozen first it completely destroyed it, by squeezing it to nothing. I'am still learning. Thanking you in advance.....rb
    False
    I just looked back, so sorry this was late. My lefsa is purchased in a triangle package. When I vaccum pack it, there is no problem. If it were fresh, I'd fold each sheet into a triangle and then stack 4-5 sheets together. You can Saran wrap these together and when you vaccum pack it, it would be just like the packages I bought. I don't have your problem in vaccuming, so I'm kind of lost in trying to help you. Sorry. Trish
    False