Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas

Last post Dec 22, 2006 2:20 AM by Fishin . 26 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
  • Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas
    I am making prime rib for Christmas Day and to go with it is a corn pudding, asparagus (which if you have a different recipe for asparagus I would love to have it) but I am a stuck on what to do with the potatos. I thought about doing some kind of garlic mashed redskin for something different but I just don't know. Anyone got any ideas?
    False
  • RE: Looking for a potato dish to go with prime rib for Christmas
    We also have prime rib for Christmas dinner. Last year, this is what I served and my family couldn't get enough. In fact, this year I was asked to make it long before I even thought about the menu. Aside from the taste, one of the advantages for me is that it goes together so easily and can sit in the fridge for hours before baking. Happy Holidays! Joy

POTATO GRATIN WITH BOURSIN:
    2 C whipping cream (or half and half)
    1 5-ounce package Boursin cheese w/ herbs
    3 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter 9x13-inch baking dish with 2-inch-high sides. Stir whipping cream and Boursin cheese in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Arrange half of sliced potatoes in baking dish. Generously season potatoes in dish with salt and pepper. Pour half of cheese mixture over. Arrange remaining potatoes atop potatoes in dish. Season again with salt and pepper. Pour remaining cheese mixture over potatoes. Bake until top is golden brown and potatoes are tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Serve 8.
    False
    Thanks... and what is Boursin cheese? Is it easy to find?
    False
    It would be Twice Baked Potatoes for me! Trish
    False
    I agree with Trish. I'd make twice baked potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, chopped chives, a touch of garlic whether it be powder,
    fresh or juice, a litle bit of crumbled cooked bacon and a can or two of the small salad shrimp.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    Would you mind sharing your recipe for Prime Rib? I was thinking I would like to do something other than turkey this year.

Creamy Whipped Potatoes

8 med. Potatoes
    1 tsp. Salt
    2 cups Whipping Cream
    ½ lb. Grated Cheddar Cheese

Boil potatoes with the salt. Mash & mix with 1 cup whipping cream until thick and creamy. Add salt & pepper to taste, and a sprinkle of the grated cheese. Put in a 9x13 casserole. Layer top with 1 cup cream (whipped). Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake @ 300 for 1-1/2 hours.
    False
    Dry Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    See this recipe on air Monday Dec. 25 at 11:00 PM ET/PT.

1 (4-bone-in) standing rib roast, preferably from the loin end
    Canola oil, to coat roast
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to cover entire roast
    1 cup water
    1 cup red wine
    4 fresh sage leaves

Remove any plastic wrapping or butcher's paper from the roast. Place the standing rib roast upright onto a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. The rack is essential for drainage. Place dry towels loosely on top of the roast. This will help to draw moisture away from the meat. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38 degrees F. You can measure both with a refrigerator thermometer. Change the towels daily for 3 days.
    Place a 16-inch round azalea terra cotta planter into a cold oven. Invert the planter to become a lid over a pizza stone or the bottom of the planter. The oven should be cold to start, to avoid any cracking in the terra cotta pieces. Turn the oven to 250 degrees F.

Remove the roast from the refrigerator and rub with canola oil. Remember to rub the bones with oil, as well. Once the roast is completely coated with oil cover the roast with kosher salt, about half a teaspoon per bone. Next, rub with freshly ground pepper to coat the surface. Place the roast over a glass bake-ware dish slightly smaller than the length of the roast. This will catch the drippings needed for the sauce. Finally, place a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and set for 118 degrees. Put the roast and the bake-ware dish onto the pizza stone, cover with the terra cotta pot, and return to the oven. Turn the oven down to 200 degrees F and roast until internal temperature is achieved.
    False
    Remove the roast and turn oven up to 500 degrees F. Remove the terra cotta lid and recover with heavy-duty foil. Allow the roast to rest until an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. is reached. Place the roast back into the preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve.

Degrease the juices in the glass pan. Place the pan over low heat and deglaze with 1 cup of water. Add the wine and reduce by half. Roll the sage leaves in between your fingers to release the flavors and aroma. Add to the sauce and cook for 1 minute. Strain and serve on the side.

False
    I got this recipe from watching the food network and normally Alton Brown drives me crazy but for some reason I watched it and it looked easy and good!! Anyway that is my recipe!!

Cyndi
    False
    Sorry, Cyndicooks, I just saw your question. Boursin cheese is an herb cheese spread that is sold in almost every supermarket, and there is a very similar but less expensive brand also pretty available called Alouette. FYI, I've also got a kopykat recipe for anyone who wants to make it. Joy

Boursin herb cheese spread:
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
    1 tablespoon fresh or frozen minced chives
    cayenne pepper, to taste
    coarsely ground black pepper
    PREPARATION:
    Put softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
    Cook garlic cloves in boiling water for 3 minutes; drain then cool for 5 minutes and put through garlic press. Add minced garlic to cheese. Add parsley, chives, and cayenne and blend well.
    False
    Wow! Thanks for the recipe Cyndi.
    False
    This is my very favorite one

This is my new favorite for scalloped potatoes. I have made it several times and it always turns out great.
    ~~Leisa~~

Posted by: Bosox Posted on: 8/25/2005 3:11:34 PM
    #R6268916
    These are the best scalloped potatoes I have ever had. It is a Jacques Pepin recipe and I think they are so good because you cook the potatoes briefly in the Milk/cream mixture. They are not as complicated as they seem and are sure worth it.

2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled (about 5-6 cups)
    2 cups milk
    1 1/3 cups heavy cream
    1 large garlic clove minced
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 Tbs butter
    1/3 c grated Swiss cheese (about 2 oz)

Wash potatoes well and dry them. Slice then 1/8 inch thick (or a thin as you can) into large saucepan. Add the milk, cream, garlic, salt and pepper, and bring liquid to a boil over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spatula to prevent scorching. Remove pan from heat.

Pour the tomato mixture into awell buttered gratin dish. (I use regular Pyrex 11 x 17. Sprinkle grated cheese over all (I sometimes use more cheese). Bake on baking sheet in preheated 400 degree oven for about 1 hour. They are done when browned and the tip of a knife pierces the potatoe easily. Let the dish stan for 15 minutes before serving.

These are really good. My family insists on them every holiday.

Happy eating BOSOX
    False
    This is one of our favorites, it tastes like twice baked potatoes but without the work or waste.

Baked Potato Casserole
    serves 6-8

3 lbs. Potatoes, peeled & cubed
    1 stick butter
    2 c. Sour Cream (I use lite)
    1/2 Sweet Onion, diced
    Salt & Pepper
    2 c. Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
    paprika

Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water & bring to a boil. Cook until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pot.

Mash potatoes about half way. Add butter and finish mashing potatoes. Stir in sour cream, onion, salt & pepper, and cheese. Transfer to a lightly greased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle paprika on top. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until heated thru & top begins to brown. Let it rest 5 minutes before serving.

dawn
    :-)
    False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

Potatoes Anna

Serves 8; Prep time: 20 minutes; Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
    This classic French dish can be baked up to eight hours ahead. Let it cool completely, then cover loosely with foil, and refrigerate. To serve, reheat in a 350-degree oven.

6 medium russet potatoes (2 3/4 pounds total), peeled

6 tablespoons butter, melted

Coarse salt and ground pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450°. Using a food processor with a slicing blade or a sharp knife, slice potatoes as thinly as possible, 1/4 inch thick or thinner. (Do not place sliced potatoes in water; the starch is needed to bind the layers.).

2. Brush bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Starting in center of pan, arrange potato slices, slightly overlapping, in circular pattern, covering surface. Brush with another 1 1/2 tablespoons butter; season well with salt and pepper. Repeat for two more layers.

3. Place over high heat until butter in pan sizzles, 2 to 4 minutes.

4. Transfer to oven; bake until potatoes are fork-tender, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Run a small spatula around edges of potatoes; slide large spatula underneath potatoes to loosen. Carefully invert onto a plate, and cut into wedges.

Per serving: 192 calories; 9.2 grams fat; 3.1 grams protein; 25.5 grams carbohydrates; 1.9 grams fiber

Note: Brushing each layer with butter and seasoning with salt and pepper creates a delicious buttery flavor throughout.
    False

I have a Nesco Roaster oven. I like to take small whole red skin or new potatoes and toss with olive oil, basil and parsley. Put them in the preheated Nesco at 350 degrees. Toss in some onions the last 15 minutes. Roast until fork tender. This can be done in the oven as well.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey