Scalloped potatoes in Electric Roaster?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Scalloped potatoes in Electric Roaster??

Last post Dec 23, 2006 9:52 AM by trailcookMD . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Scalloped potatoes in Electric Roaster??
    I REALLY want to fix a big batch of scalloped potatoes in my roaster oven, but have never done anything except ham or turkey in it. Has anyone had experience with this? I don't want to burn a big batch or find out they take forever to cook. Who can spare me from any big boo boos? TIA Linda
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

• RE: Scalloped potatoes in Electric Roaster??
    Double this recipe for an 18-qt. roaster:

Cheesy Potatoes

3 pounds hash brown shredded potatoes, frozen
    24-ounces light sour cream
    2 10-3/4 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
    2 pounds mild cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup onions, diced
    1/4 cup red and green peppers, diced

Mix potatoes, sour cream, soup, cheese, onions and peppers. Cook slowly at 200º F. 1-1/2 hours.

If using thawed hash browns, cut cooking time down. If unthawed, cook 1-1/2 hours at 150º F.

Serves 10 to 12.

The recipe comes from Nesco.
    False
    Thanks so much. My family will expect my traditional recipe (with the sliced raw potatoes). I'm just wondering about adjusting the time and temp. Guess I should have explained better. Your recipe does sound good though. Hope someone has had some experience with this.

My recipe is baked with foil covering for 1 hr. at 350 degrees and then without the foil for another 30 minutes in a regular oven.
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

Lisa
    lherman@dejazzd.com
    12/12/05 I would like to use my roaster oven to make scalloped potatoes for a luncheon at work. Can I use my regular oven recipe? In that recipe the potatoes are covered with foil for the first 30 minutes and then cooked uncovered for an hour in a 350 degree oven. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.
    ellen

12/16/05 A crock pot recipe would be safer, time and temp wise.
    Be careful to keep the thickness of the potatoes under 4 inches, and double the cooking time if you triple the recipe. (Or partially boil the potatoes before baking). Nesco has recipes listed.

I have never made scalloped potatoes this way...from this cooking site where someone asked the same question it sounds like a crockpot would be better if you do not want to use the oven or microwave.

Alliea
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

When I bake stuff like this in mine I always put it in a roaster or casserole and put that inside that electric roaster. Easy clean up and it bakes like a regular oven but a bit slower.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    You would have to increase the recipe for a larger amount but this might work for you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Scalloped Potatoes II

Recipe By :n/a
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups water
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup shredded cheese - (to 1 1/2 cups)
    5 medium potatoes -- thinly sliced

Combine water and cream of tartar in large bowl, stir. Add potatoes, stir well. This will help keep potatoes from darkening. Drain. Turn potatoes into slow cooker.

Stir flour, salt and pepper together in saucepan. Whisk in milk gradually until no lumps remain. Heat and stir until boiling and thickened. Stir in cheese to melt.

Pour over potatoes in cooker. Cover. Cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours.

This recipe yields 4 servings.

pegg
    False

pegg

Here's another larger recipe you might try. pegg

* Exported from MasterCook *

CROCKPOT SCALLOPED POTATOES

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cheese Potatoes
    Side Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 Large thinly sliced potatoes -- (6 to 8)
    1 Can cheddar cheese soup
    1 Cup Velveeta cheese -- chunked
    1 1/2 Cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 Can evaporated milk -- (12 oz.)
    Salt and pepper

Onions may be sliced thinly and layered with the potatoes.
    Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Fill crockpot half full of the sliced potatoes.

Layer 1/2 can of soup, 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese, 3/4 cup grated sharp cheese, and 1/2 can of milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Layer remaining ingredients in same order.

Cook on high about 6 hours. You need to check for you may need to add more milk. You can preboil the potatoes for quicker cooking.

pegg
    False

pegg

Thanks everyone, I'll try to experiment with some of these recipes in the roaster. I think for tomorrow's dinner though I'll stay with my old tried and true recipe in 2 9x13 pans in the oven. My crockpots will be full of Swedish meatballs and potato sausage. -Linda
    False

I cook for a large horse club. Serve about 300 when we have a trail ride.

If you have a Cisco Food outlet in your area, their dried scalloped potatoes are delicious. Real potatoes (Dried chips) and the seasonings.

I cook them in roasters or throwaway alum. pans. Have gotten many compliments on them. very easy to make.
    False