Sweedish dessert Ostakaka | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Sweedish dessert Ostakaka

Last post Dec 29, 2006 12:10 AM by lusi . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Sweedish dessert Ostakaka
    I heard that there is a recipe for Cheat Ostakaka, has anyone ever made it ?
    Would love to have it if you do.
    Remember my Mom and Mother in law used to make it at Christmas time, but they said it had to be made with raw milk, before the days of pasterizing the milk.
    Thanking all in advance.
    Donna
    False
  • RE: Sweedish dessert Ostakaka
    My D I L makes Ostakaka and uses cottage cheese, which she calls a "cheater" recipe. I'll try to get it from her while she is off for Christmas break (she is a teacher) and put it on here for you. I'm sorry I didn't see this on here before Christmas, which is probably when you wanted it. When I haven't gotten to be on the BB for a while I start at the back so I can catch as much as possible before it "drops off" : )
    Graysie
    False
    Oh Thank you Graysie, I would just love to have the recipe, makes no differnce when I get it. DH will be thrilled , of course it was always a dessert we used to have at Christmas time, but will be great to have.
    Seen a market here that has ligenberry's,(SP) think I will get some and put in the freezer. Of course my Grandmother used to use warmed grape jelly on the Ostakaka...that was good too.
    Thanks again.
    Happy New Year
    Donna
    False
    Hello. I checked one of my Scandinavian cookbooks (in English) and found this. It is also eaten in Finland, where I am living, but we call it by another name! The real version is done with rennet and takes much longer. lusi

No-Fail or Cheater Ostkaka

12 oz Small Curd Cottage Cheese
    4 eggs, beaten
    ½ C sugar
    3 T Flour
    1 pt Cream
    1 t vanilla or almond extract

Drain and rinse the cottage cheese. While draining, beat together the eggs, sugar, flour, cream and extract to make the custard. Combine in a buttered 2-qt casserole and bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit about 1½ hours or until top is golden brown and edges dark brown.
    False
    Thank you Lusi so much for the recipe you sent, have all the ingredints here except for the cream, which will get today, and my DH will be in 7th Heaven...
    Just love getting in the BB site and getting all the helpfull information about recipe's.
    Where do you live in Finland, we live in Nebraska, USA ?
    Thank you again so much and have a Healthy Happy New Year.
    Donna
    False
    Hello Donna. Glad I could help with that recipe. I'm from Illinois originally, but have lived abroad for 24 years, 13 of those in Finland with my Finnish husband. We live about 20 miles outside of Helsinki. I've got lots of cookbooks from this part of the world, so if you need more recipes, just let me know! lusi
    False