Help - making crockpot applesauce - how can I thicken it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Help - making crockpot applesauce - how can I thicken it?

Last post Dec 24, 2006 3:20 PM by winkyPA . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • Help - making crockpot applesauce - how can I thicken it?
    Just put the apples in the crockpot with sugar, water, a small bit of lemon juice. In just 3 hours on low, apples are very soft. But, sure looks like the mixture will be way too runny. I left peel on because I'm going to run them through the mill. But, should I just drain some water off, or add something like cornstarch to thicken??

TIA

Brenda
    False
  • RE: Help - making crockpot applesauce - how can I thicken it?
    Well, I would think that you should put the apples in a pan on the stove and put the flame on low, keep the lid off, and allow the extra moisture to evaporate. Also, use a potato masher to mash the apples to the desired consistency.

Or how about this...leave the apples in the crock pot, turn it to high and leave the lid off.

I have only ever made apple sauce on the stove, so those are the only ideas I have. Hope it helps

Kathleen
    False
    Thanks, Kathleen - will try leaving the lid off for a little while. They do smell really good!

Merry Christmas to you!

Brenda
    False
    I have never made crockpot applesauce with real apples. I use KY Kates recipe which uses unsweetened applesauce. even that one though you have to leave the lid off for an hour or so. That gets it thicker. I would try that and see if that helps. The lid causes the condensation and kind of keeps it from getting thick. The last time I made it I forgot about that and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't get thick. Leaving the lid off for an hour or so did the trick!
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

By the time I saw Rosiepie's response, then looked at the mixture, it was thicker. I poured some of the water/sauce mixture off, then put the apples into the mill. Turned out decent, very sweet because I'm used to putting in a lot of sugar.

Thanks for your help!!

Brenda
    False
    If if happens again, add some Minute Tapioca.
    Penny
    False
    Thanks - will remember the tapioca. That should really work well!

Brenda
    False