RECIPE: Big Boy Casserole | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

RECIPE: Big Boy Casserole

Last post Dec 31, 2006 11:34 AM by HDMac_in_WA . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • RECIPE: Big Boy Casserole
    Big Boy Casserole

*Not my comments (HDMac) ---- I found this on another site and thought it sounded NUMMY!!! Am going to have to try SOON!!!!

Ingredients:

1 can of bread dough (I actually used crescent rolls in its place-it took 10 crescent rolls to fill the pan)
    1 jar Frisch’s tartar sauce (it has to be Frisch’s)
    2 lbs ground beef
    1 medium sized jar of dill pickle slices
    1 bag shredded lettuce
    2 8 oz package finely shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a 13x9 inch dish, first spray with Pam. Next, spread bread (or crescent rolls) over bottom of dish and bake according to directions.

Once baked, allow to cool a bit and then spread entire jar of tartar sauce over dough.

Cook and drain ground beef. Spread cooked beef over top of the tartar sauce.

Layer pickles over the beef; cover all the beef with pickles, but do not layer pickles on top of themselves.

Layer shredded lettuce over pickles. Use about ½ - ¾ f the bag.

Cover top of lettuce with shredded cheese.

Before serving, cook in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Cut into bite size pieces and serve.
    False
  • RE: RECIPE: Big Boy Casserole
    I worked at Bob's Big Boy (first job in high school and later as second job) for years. Still can't get enough of those Big Boy sandwiches (with extra sauce and extra pickles of course). When I was pregnant with DS some 16 years ago, I craved those darn sandwiches like crazy--I ate them hot, I ate them cold, I added catsup, I ate them with the deep fried mushrooms, etc. ...well, you get the idea.

Thank you so much for posting this. I'll definitely try it.
    False

Charleezangel_OH "My Chocolate Lab Owns My Heart!"

This sounds like heaven. LOL. Lynn in Cabot
    False
    What if you can't find Frische's Tartar Sauce?
    False
    mayo
    sweet relish
    diced onion
    garlic salt

I worked at Big Boys for ten years and the ladies whom I worked with at the last one worked there for many years and used to make many things from scratch prior to them coming into the restaurant ready-made.
    False
    I am hoping to try this this weekend. :)

Hugs,
    ♥Marcia

False
    Bless your heart for finding and posting this. I'm trying this as soon as I eat up the Christmas leftovers. I'll pick up some tartar sauce today.
    Thank YOU!
    False
    **Again, this is not me commenting but thought this might be helpful. Also they are saying 9 oz on the jar of tartar. This was posted on the thread on the craft site where I found the recipe.

The sauce for Big Boy Hamburgers is a Tartar Sauce that is also used on fish sandwiches at Frisch's Big Boy in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Years before McDonald's hit the scene, there was Frisch's. Dave Frisch, who took over a well-established but conventional restaurant business from his dad in Cincinnati, Ohio met a fellow entrepreneur from Glendale, California, who had innovated a new way of cooking hamburgers - two small patties instead of one cooked faster, and made a double-decker called "Big Boy." This was in 1946. The "secret sauce" in the California Big Boy was Thousand Island salad dressing. Dave wasn't too fond of it, so he used his own sauce, which was basically a blend of mayo, catsup, and pickle relish, known as tartar sauce and served in other Frisch's restaurants with fried fish.

2 cups mayonnaise
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 tablespoons horseradish
    2 tablespoons minced onion, scallions, or shallots
    2 tablespoons minced red or green pepper, sweet or hot
    1/4 cup minced dill pickle/gherkins/capers
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 hard cooked eggs, yolks mashed, whites chopped
    1 dash Tabasco Sauce
    1/3 cup catsup

You can also buy it
    Now you can order Frisch's Big Boy Tartar Sauce and have it delivered to your door!
    Call (513) 761-1242, care of Food Specialties, to have Big Boy ship you four one-pint jars of his famous Tartar SaucePrices and shipping charges are available by calling or writing:
    Food Specialties
    12 East Sunnybrook
    Cincinnati, Ohio 45237
    False
    Looks like you can order the tartar sauce here!!!!

http://www.frischs.com/

False
    another comment about the recipe! lol

Re: READ THIS!! Recipe for Big Boy Casserole! (Tastes just like Big Boy cheeseburgers!!) -- Melanie, 23:33:34 12/28/06 Thu [1]

Hey ladies!

Called my husband's cousin who works the drive thru at a local Frisch's, and here is what she said the tarter sauce is, and they have people ask all the time for food allery reasons. LOL!

3 1/3 cup of Mayonnaise
    3 1/2 Tablespoons of Sweet Pickle Relish
    3 1/2 Tablespoons Minced Onions
    1/3 cup of Lemon juice
    Mix and refrigerate

She also said it is sold at many Meier stores throughout the country for something like $5 a jar.
    False
    This sounds great....Thanks
    False
    Can't wait to try this. Do you put the lettuce in the oven too or did I read that wrong? Thanks!
    False
    Thanks for posting this, it sounds great!

Anita
    False
    I did make it this weekend and I did put the lettuce on before putting in the oven. It was very good but that is one reason why I don't think the leftovers would be all that great! lol

hugs,
    ♥Marcia

False
    Yummy Marcia, thank-you!!
    Hope you had a great Christmas and an even greater New Year!
    Hugs,
    Jill
    False