Wet Burrito Sauce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Wet Burrito Sauce

Last post Sep 29, 2010 2:50 PM by sklynstra . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Wet Burrito Sauce
    I love to cook mexican food but my wet burrito sauce is fair at best. I am looking for a good sauce to add to my cookbook.
    False
  • RE: Wet Burrito Sauce
    Posted by: ButterflyMaiden Replies: 16 Posted on: 4/20/2005 7:10:39 PM
    #T506213
    Posted by: ButterflyMaiden Posted on: 6/18/2003 7:54:44 AM
    #R1705256
    Here's a recipe my mother got from a friend at work over 20 years ago and I've been making it ever since. Real easy to convert into a casserole also!

Wet Burritos
    4 lbs ground beef
    large green pepper
    large onion, diced
    2 cans refried beans
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    pkg taco cheese 2-3 cups

sauce (I don't care for this sauce, but some do, I cheat and just use canned enchilada sauce):
    1 can beef broth
    1 can tomato paste
    cumin, garlic powder to taste
    1 cup burrito meat

To make burritos: Saute pepper and onion. Add beef and brown. Drain excess fat. Add seasonings and 2 cans of refried beans. Simmer until beans are cooked through and mixed in thoroughly. Place desired amount on burrito sized tortillas, fold up, and place seam side down in baking pan. Pour sauce over burritos. Sprinkle with cheese and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

To make sauce, combine ingredients and bring to boil. Thicken like gravy, then pour over burritos.

False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.
    MDH John loves this Wet Burrito Casserole and when we made it in layers we liked it even better :O)

Wet Burrito Casserole

RecipeZaar#77414
    recipe by Sue L

Easy to get together, roll up and bake. Great with tacos if you need a bigger meal.

4-5 servings

1 hour 5 minutes 15 mins prep

1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1 (10.75 ounces) can cream of mushroom soup
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 (1.25 ounces) package taco seasoning mix
    1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
    1 (16 ounces) can refried beans
    1 (10 count) package flour tortillas
    4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    sliced black olives (optional)
    sliced jalapenos (optional)

Stir together sour cream and condensed soup.

RE: Wet Burritos
    Posted by: hollyga Posted on: 4/20/2005 7:18:59 PM
    #R5585318
    Pour half of this in the bottom of a large casserole or 9x13-inch baking dish, spreading it evenly across the bottom.
    Brown and cook through the ground beef with the onion and bell pepper; drain any fat.
    Stir in taco seasoning, mushrooms and refried beans, mixing well.
    Spoon mixture onto tortillas, rolling tortillas up and placing them seam-side-down in the casserole dish.
    Top with remaining soup/cream mixture and sprinkle with the cheese.
    Place a few sliced black olives or jalapeno slices on top of the cheese, if desired.
    Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and dish is heated through.

False
    Nutrition Facts
    Calculated for 1 serving
    Recipe makes 4-5 servings
    Nutrition Facts for some measurements or ingredients are not included in data below:
    1 1/4 ounces taco seasoning mix
    16 ounces refried beans

We can often fix this, let us know.

Calories 1321
    Calories from Fat 722 (54%)
    Amount Per Serving %RDA
    Total Fat 80.3g 123%
    Saturated Fat 43.4g 217%
    Polyunsat. Fat 5.9g
    Monounsat. Fat 25.6g
    Cholesterol 259mg 86%
    Sodium 2059mg 85%
    Potassium 1227mg 35%
    Total Carbohydrate 74.7g 24%
    Dietary Fiber 9.9g 39%
    Protein 74.3g 148%
    Vitamin A 3573mcg 71%
    Vitamin B6 0.9mg 42%
    Vitamin B12 4.6mcg 77%
    Vitamin C 66mg 111%
    Vitamin E 3mcg 10%
    Calcium 1093mg 109%
    Magnesium 133mg 33%
    Iron 8mg 49%
    False
    Here are the reviews-I did the layer effect like listed below :O)

Recent Reviews
    Peggy Lynn | my other reviews | e-mail me

Absolutely wonderful. I've tried so many "burrito casserole"recipes and none of them really did the trick before finding this recipe. It came together like a dream and i only made minor changes--left out the bell pepper, the mushrooms and left out 2 cups of the cheese, and it didnt hurt the dish one bit. creamy, flavorful and makes a bunch!!!!!!My DH calls them "comfort burritos"he was very happy with the meal. Big Thanks, PeggyLynn — Apr 13, 2005

Was this review helpful to you? yes no
    Kangastyler in COASTAL, Maine | my other reviews | e-mail me

WOW!! Really good. The thing I did different was instead of making individual burritos I assembled this in layers-cream sauce-4 tortillas-meat sauce-cheese-4 tortillas-meat sauce-cream sauce and than cheese. It cut beautifully. SHH--my DH detests mushroom(or he thinks he does) so I crushed dehydrated mushrooms, and he and our DS's never noticed! — Apr 13, 2005

foxysnana | my other reviews | e-mail me

One bite was all We needed to know this would definitely make to our table again. Was very easy to put together, and smelled so good while cooking. I had some minced jalepenos in the fridge so I spread that over each burrito before I put the sauce on top. Then I sprinkled black olives over the whole top. The only change I will make next time is to use hot taco mix, and put a bit of peppers into the filling for heat. Great easy dinner. Thanks. — Apr 12, 2005

Helpful Reviews
    Andrea in FL | my other reviews | e-mail me

This dish is delicious! It was so easy, super cheap and quick to make! My husband flipped out! I highly recommend this recipe to everyone. — Jan 22, 2004, 1 member found this
    False
    I have been tempted to make this much-raved about version at Allrecipes.com, but, since MDH John loves the one I already make, am afraid to spend the $$$.

Fabulous Wet Burritos

Very easy, yet very good wet burritos. I got this recipe from a friend, and everyone I serve them to asks for the recipe. Serve with guacamole, sour cream and salsa.

Prep Time: approx. 15 Minutes.
    Cook Time: approx. 30 Minutes.
    Ready in: approx. 45 Minutes.
    Makes 6 servings.
    Submitted by Sydney6

1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
    1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
    1 (15 ounce) can chili
    False
    that chilis was WithOUT Beans
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    6 (12 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
    2 cups shredded lettuce
    1 cup chopped tomatoes
    2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
    1/2 cup chopped green onions

Directions

1 Crumble ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Add onion, and cook until translucent. Drain grease, and season with garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir in the green chilies and refried beans until well blended. Turn off heat, but keep warm.

2 In a saucepan, combine the chili without beans, tomato soup and enchilada sauce. Mix well, and cook over medium heat until heated through. Turn off heat and keep warm.

3 Place a warmed tortilla on a plate, and spoon a generous 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto the center. Top with lettuce and tomato to your liking. Roll up tortilla over the filling. Spoon a generous amount of the sauce over the top, and sprinkle with cheese and green onions. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
    False
    Wet Burrito

Created: 6/21/2006 11:46:17 AM
    Updated: 6/21/2006 11:46:54 AM

Yield: 1 Servings Preparation Time:
    4 Super size flour tortillas
    1 1/2 Lb lean chuck, Ground
    1 Tsp Salt
    1 Cup Meat and bean mixture
    1 Tsp Pepper
    1 Can (8-oz) tomato sauce
    1 Tsp Garlic powder
    1 Beef bouillon cube
    1 Tsp Cumin
    1 Tsp Chili powder
    2 Cup (16-oz can) refried beans
    8 Oz Colby cheese

Brown together ground chuck, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.
    Drain grease and refried beans. Simmer 1 cup meat and bean mixture
    with water, tomato sauce, bouillon cube and chili powder for 15
    minutes. On each tortilla, spread meat, add lettuce and tomatoes, if
    desired. Fold sides and roll up. Place in oven proof dish and pour
    sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese. Place in oven at 350
    degrees until cheese melts.

Courtesy of:
    Beltline Bar Famous Mexican Cafe
    www.4gr8food.com
    False
    Wet Burrito Casserole
    Contributed By: angel924
    My high school Foods class

This is a yummy burrito dish. It is very flavorful and and easy to prepare.

Ingredients
    1 1/2 lb Ground chuck
    1 Small can refried beans
    1 (8 oz) can Tomato juice
    1/4 cup Diced green pepper
    1 tsp Cumin
    1 Small chopped onion, dried onion, or minced onion
    1 to 2 tbsp Chili powder (may be omitted if want to)
    1 Small jar brown gravy
    1 (10 oz) can Mild enchilada sauce
    12 oz Grated cheddar cheese
    1 package Large soft burrito shells

Preparation
    Brown meat with cumin and onion. Add green pepper, chili powder, tomato juice, and refried beans. Cut soft burrito shells into fourths and put in 2 piles. Put 1/2 meat mixture on bottom of 9 x 13 in. pan. Lay 1 of the piles of burrito shells over meat. Sprinkle with 1/4 of cheese. Repeat layers (meat, shells, cheese). Mix enchilada sauce and brown gravy. Pour over top of all. Sprinkle the last 1/2 cheese. Bake at 350° until heated through, approximately 30 minutes. Leftovers will keep well.

http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/15007
    False
    HollyMcDonoughGA:
    Thank you for the info, One of the items you sent from Belt Line Bar is a wonderful bar about 45 minutes from me and has awesome burritos. I will try that one ASAP.
    False

False
    TGIL,

You are more than welcome-looking forward to seeing your post on this board for your review on the recipe :O)
    False
    False
  • Re: RE: Wet Burrito Sauce
    Same Here!
    False