Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!!

Last post Feb 02, 2009 7:10 AM by amychris1 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!!
    I've NEVER made a better roast in my life. Melt 2-3 T. bacon grease in cast iron dutch oven. Brown roast, (I used bottom round). Take roast out, saute l clove chopped garlic, and l/2 chopped onion a little. Turn off heat. Add l T. flour. Add roast back in with cut up carrots, and potatoes. Add a little beef boullion, and enough water to ALMOST cover the veggies. Put in 350 degree oven with lid on for l l/2 hr to 2 hr. This makes it's own gravy, and you can cut the meat with a fork. I WILL NEVER MAKE ANOTHER ROAST IN THE CROCKPOT after making this.

Janet
    False
  • RE: Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!!
    bumping, because it is SOOOOO GOOOOOD!!!!

Janet
    False
    It will be a perfect weekend here in Kansas City for a nice roast and I have the dutch oven too. Now all I need is the rest! :) Thanks for sharing.
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    Say no more. I haven't had much meat in 6 months so this is going on the to try list. Glad you show what type of roast you used too. That is fairly lean cut isn't it?
    Thank-you much!!
    Jill
    False
    My cousin has convinced me to always cook roasts in a cast iron Dutch oven. I have a pork loin roast thawed and intend to cook it that way today. We cook it slower and at a lower temperature than 350º. We also do pulled pork and Italian beef in cast iron. Good eating!!
    False
    For some reason food just taste better to us when cooked in a dutch oven. Make the be stews too. I love cooking in a dutch oven. Try baking a chicken or turkey in one. Yum, Yum.
    False
    I prefer a dutch oven to a crock pot;)Thanks for sharing.
    Rosie
    False

Jill, yes, this is a really lean cut of meat. I took it out, sliced it, and then I just tore hunks off with my fingers and added it back to the gravy. You could do either. My uncle Elmer recommends sirloin tip, which is another cut I have never tried. I hope you all try this in your cast iron. The day I did this recipe I had cut the roast into thirds. I did one in the crockpot, stringy as usual. The other third I put slits in, and added garlic, and covered in pepper and rotisseried, this was excellent also, but as far as pot roast is concerned, I will NEVER make another in the crockpot. THis is BY FAR the best I've ever made!

Janet
    False
    Even my VERY picky, not so keen on eating meat, dh LOVED it!!!! Turned out so tender!
    False
    Thank-you Janet. I've been trying to get your screen name correct on another post of Rosie's....lol. I had mentioned I might combine the 2 recipes as I like a roast cooked in wine too. But also like the cast iron method. Thought I'd share hers here too. (hope you don't mind)

Subject: Rec. Red Wine Crockpot Roast
    Posted by: rosiewny Replies: 8 Posted on: 1/10/2007 10:19:04 AM
    #T783448
    Red Wine Crockpot Roast

2 cups red wine
    1/2 cup water
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary or fresh rosemary
    4 lbs. trimmed beef roast
    1-2 teaspoon cornstarch
    Place roast in crock pot and season with pepper. Mix the rest of
    the ingredients together and pour over roast. Cover and cook on low
    6-7 hours. Remove roast to rest on platter. Turn crock pot to high.
    Wisk cornstarch into juices to thicken. This makes a wonderfully
    tasty au jus, or over mashed potatoes. You can easily make additions
    to this: garlic, pearl onions, mushrooms etc.

email
    False
    to make up for overstepping my bounds, thought I'd bump up this recipe. I'm going to try this as soon as I can get a roast. Thanks Janet!
    Jill
    False
    Thank you. Now I have a recipe to try once I ever get the cast iron cleaned up!
    False
    Hi Janet~I don't know if you have read of my roast sagas, but I just can't seem to make a tender one for my poor DH! So, This goes on the list!

Thanks so much!

Amy
    False

• Re: Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!!

Janet

My husband and I are tired of trying roasts in crock pots and every other kind of pot you can think of. I found your receipe last night and figured what have I got to loose? ? I came home from church, your method took only a matter of minutes to prepare, my husband had cut potatoes before I got back, everything was in the oven by 1:15. . . we took it out at 3 pm and it just fell apart. I think the next I will add  little more flour for a thicker gravy. . . but this is now my receipe of choice.

Thank Uncle Elmer

From MeeMaw and Papa Joel

False
  • Re: Rec---Roast In Cast Iron Dutch Oven, (My Uncle Ellmer's Recipe)!!!

I am pretty much a non crockpot user (maybe twice a year) so this is how I always make my roasts as well.

I uses Tones Beef Bouillon and a  deep covered pan in my  oven and I agree- the roast is fork tender.

I generally use Chuck roast or rump roast and I often  use 1-2 fresh cloves of crushed garlic.   Baby carrots and potatoes.  It.Goes great with Yorkshire Pudding.

Delicious.Yes

~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009