Chicken Noodle Soup using Rotisserie Chicken? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Chicken Noodle Soup using Rotisserie Chicken?

Last post Jan 15, 2007 10:22 PM by savorlife_MN . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Chicken Noodle Soup using Rotisserie Chicken?
    A coworker is wondering if she can make "homemade" chicken soup using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. She also wants to use the thick "home style" noodles that you find refrigerated or frozen (Reames?). Be specific with amounts and instructions please, as she doesn't do a lot of cooking.

Thanks!

Pat
    False
  • RE: Chicken Noodle Soup using Rotisserie Chicken?
    CHICKEN AND NOODLES

1 pkg. Reames egg noodles
    2 cans chicken broth
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 cans chicken meat (Sub rotissere)
    1 1/2 tsp. parsley
    1 tsp. celery seed
    3 tsp. chopped onion
    5 chicken bouillon cubes
    Shake of Lawry seasoned salt
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cook noodles using directions on package. After noodles are finished put all ingredients in slow cooker. Slow cook for 3 1/2 or 4 hours on high.
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Chicken Noodle Soup
    All homemade chicken noodle soup recipes are good, but I like this one best because it uses lots of vegetables and my favorite sea salt.
    The Rotisserie chicken breast gives this chicken soup a deeper flavor. Be sure to taste the soup before you season it. I recommend Maldon sea salt, because it has a wonderful flavor and you don't need to use too much of it.

Chicken Noodle Soup

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    4 cups water
    1 large onion, diced
    3 celery ribs, chopped
    1 cup sliced carrots
    3/4 cup sliced parsnips
    6 oz. medium egg noodles
    1-1/2 cups cooked Rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
    salt and pepper to taste (I recommend Maldon sea salt or kosher salt)
    Bring chicken broth and water to a boil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add onion, celery, carrots and parsnips. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes. Add egg noodles and allow to simmer 15 more minutes or until noodles are cooked. Add chicken and heat 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 8.

False
    , make a basic broth
    Fast Chicken Soup Base
    2 quarts chicken broth, plus 1 quart water
    1 store-bought roast chicken
    3 Tbs. vegetable oil
    2 large onions (2 cups), cut into medium dice
    2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds or half rounds, depending on size
    2 large celery stalks, sliced 1/4-inch thick
    1 tsp. dried thyme leaves

Bring broth and water to a simmer over medium-high heat in a large soup kettle. Meanwhile, separate chicken meat from skin and bones; reserve meat. Add skin and bones to the simmering broth. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer until bones release their flavor, 20 to 30 minutes.

Strain broth through a colander into a large container; reserve broth and discard skin and bones. Return kettle to burner set on medium-high.

Add oil, then onions, carrots and celery. Sauté until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken, broth and thyme. Bring to a simmer.

(Can be refrigerated up to 3 days in advance. Return to a simmer before adding the extras of your choice.)

Makes 3 1/2 to 4 quarts.
    Serves 8.

False
    2nd, add your extras

Soup du jour: Add these, then simmer until tender, 10-20 minutes: Before removing from heat, stir in: Final touch:
    Classic Chicken Noodle Soup 3 cups egg noodles 1 cup (5 ounces) frozen green peas and 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add salt and pepper, to taste
    Classic Chicken and Rice Soup 3/4 cup long-grain white rice 1 cup (5 ounces) frozen green peas and 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add salt and pepper, to taste
    Chicken Tortellini Soup With Zucchini and Tomatoes 1 9-ounce package refrigerated small cheese tortellini; 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes; 2 medium zucchini, diced; 1 tsp. dried basil 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add salt and pepper, to taste.
    Curried Chicken Soup With Chickpeas and Cauliflower 2 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained; 2 cups bite-size cauliflower florets; 2 Tbs. curry powder; 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk (optional, but very good) 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese.
    Chicken Soup With Pasta and White Beans 2 16-ounce cans white beans, drained; 1 cup small pasta, such as ditalini; 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes; 2 tsps. minced fresh rosemary 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve soup with grated Parmesan cheese.
    Chicken Soup With Black Beans and Corn 2 16-ounce cans black beans, drained; 1 10-ounce package frozen corn; 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes; 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced; 2 Tbs. ground cumin; 2 tsps. chili powder 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve soup with tortilla chips, grated Monterey Jack cheese and fresh lime wedges.
    False
    Thanks Tink and Tipster!

Anyone else have recipes?

Pat
    False
    This is not a chicken soup recipe, but this is what I do with a Rotisserie Chicken....

Along with the Chicken, I buy a quart of Turkey Gravy at the same store, take the meat off the bones and voila, I have hot Chicken sandwiches. We love them. (Toast the bread a little bit first)

I also have made Chicken pie, thickening up canned chicken broth or homemade broth. If you really are ambitious, you could cook the chicken bones with onion, carrot, etc. and make your own broth.

Barb
    False
    Bosox, thanks for another idea.

Pat
    False
    This is the ONLY way I make chicken and dumplings. I only use a deli rotisserie chicken. So good. It's not soup, but we like it better. Even the little grandchildren ask for this. CeCe

Chicken and Dumplings

Use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli for this. Just get the plain roasted one, or garlic roasted. Do not use the BBQ or lemon-pepper chickens. Using a roasted chicken, rather than raw chicken, adds a big flavor boost. Quite by accident, I grabbed the beef bullion cubes instead of the usual chicken bullion when making this one day. The flavor depth this added was just fantastic!

1 rotisserie chicken
    1 onion, quartered
    2 or 3 carrots, peeled and chunked up
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, stems and all (or ¼ cup dried)
    2 or 3 stalks of celery chunks
    4 beef bullion cubes
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste
    2 bay leaves, optional

Dumplings:
    2 1/4 cups flour
    3 t. baking powder
    1 t. salt
    1 1/4 cup milk
    Remove any twine holding chicken together. Put the chicken in a large (wide) kettle and break apart. Fill pot with water to just cover the chicken. Add the next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 2 hours. Remove from heat; strain broth into a large bowl. Cool the chicken and cooked vegetables until you can easily handle. Pick all the chicken from the bones. Set aside. Discard skin, bones, and vegetables. Optional: When broth cools, refrigerate so fat can be skimmed from the top and discarded. Add chicken to the strained broth and bring to a boil. Combine the dumpling ingredients by gently mixing just enough to hold together. Do not over-mix. Dumplings should be rather moist. Drop by large spoonful into simmering broth. Do not crowd the pan. Cover (use a glass lid if you can) and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid during the cooking time.

False

This is the ONLY way I make chicken and dumplings. I only use a deli rotisserie chicken. So good. It's not soup, but we like it better. Even the little grandchildren ask for this. CeCe

Chicken and Dumplings

Use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli for this. Just get the plain roasted one, or garlic roasted. Do not use the BBQ or lemon-pepper chickens. Using a roasted chicken, rather than raw chicken, adds a big flavor boost. Quite by accident, I grabbed the beef bullion cubes instead of the usual chicken bullion when making this one day. The flavor depth this added was just fantastic!

1 rotisserie chicken
    1 onion, quartered
    2 or 3 carrots, peeled and chunked up
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, stems and all (or ¼ cup dried)
    2 or 3 stalks of celery chunks
    4 beef bullion cubes
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste
    2 bay leaves, optional

Dumplings:
    2 1/4 cups flour
    3 t. baking powder
    1 t. salt
    1 1/4 cup milk
    Remove any twine holding chicken together. Put the chicken in a large (wide) kettle and break apart. Fill pot with water to just cover the chicken. Add the next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil and gently simmer for about 2 hours. Remove from heat; strain broth into a large bowl. Cool the chicken and cooked vegetables until you can easily handle. Pick all the chicken from the bones. Set aside. Discard skin, bones, and vegetables. Optional: When broth cools, refrigerate so fat can be skimmed from the top and discarded. Add chicken to the strained broth and bring to a boil. Combine the dumpling ingredients by gently mixing just enough to hold together. Do not over-mix. Dumplings should be rather moist. Drop by large spoonful into simmering broth. Do not crowd the pan. Cover (use a glass lid if you can) and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Do not lift the lid during the cooking time.

False

Oops! Sorry for the double post. Hit the key twice . . . force of habit with this computer navigating.
    False

PalmSpringsGirl, your recipe sounds good too. Thanks for sharing!

Pat
    False