ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but

Last post Nov 30, 2008 3:07 PM by Alliea . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but
    I have no idea what to serve with an 8 x 8-inch pan of Texas Spoon Bread. I certainly would appreciate any suggestions. I would like to start using up my box of cornmeal and also just saw a recipe for Texas Spoon Bread on a regularly emailed recipe site that I get every week.

Thanks a bunch for any T&T suggestions.

Dottie
    False
  • RE: ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but
    Spoon Bread

Spoon bread is a soft, moist egg-based dish made with cornmeal and sometimes corn kernels. It is baked in a casserole dish. This "bread" is more like a pudding than bread and, as its name indicates, it can be served with a spoon. This Southern favorite is served as a side dish in place of bread, potatoes or rice.

I am such a Total NON conformist about cooking or decorating etc but I would replace bread or rice with it ie chicken or ham for example.I would serve it with Pork as well
    False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• RE: ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but
    Thanks alliea.

I was thinking ham or possibly fried chicken (although we don't eat many "fried" foods any more). I assume that as a side dish type recipe, the cook of the household (me) can try serving it with practically any main dish except pasta and the like.

In any case, this will be a new food experience for both DH and me. I know the last time we traveled south we really enjoyed hush puppies for the first time; another fried food we should probably steer clear of.

Dottie
    False
    I have served Spoon bread a lot with chicken and pork .I would serve it with Ham too if desired.Probably with Ham I would melt a little Cheddar over it.
    False

Well, I have a huge pot of chili on the stove and would love to have some spoon bread on the side. Do you mind sharing your recipe??

TIA

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Spoon Bread
    Recipe #203677
    My Mother used to serve this years ago, I can still taste it. Warm, light, creamy, and yummy.
    by Sweetiebarbaraand
    6 servings 1 casserole spoon bread 1½ hours 20 min prep
    Change to: casserole spoon bread US Metric
    1 cup cornmeal
    3 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 tablespoons butter (melted, or very soft)
    3 eggs (separated)

Grease 2 quart casserole, set oven to 325 degrees.
    Cook corn meal with 2 cups of the milk until thickened.
    Remove from heat and add salt, baking powder, butter, and 1 cup milk.
    Add beaten egg yolks.
    Fold in stiff-beaten egg whites.
    Bake about 1 hour.
    Serve in warm dishes and top with butter.
    False

I have not made this one yet MINE CAME FROM DISNEY WORLD unable to find it at present It is in one of my multiple books

Spoon Bread
    Recipe #203677
    My Mother used to serve this years ago, I can still taste it. Warm, light, creamy, and yummy.
    by Sweetiebarbara
    6 servings 1 casserole spoon bread 1½ hours 20 min prep
    Change to: casserole spoon bread US Metric
    1 cup cornmeal
    3 cups milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 tablespoons butter (melted, or very soft)
    3 eggs (separated)

Not the one? See other Spoon Bread Recipes
    False

Duplicate post sorry
    False

Ham or smoked sausage, cabbage and potatoes cooked together with the spoon bread on the side.

Darlene
    False
    We had spoonbread last night with ham, green beans and potatoes. I think you can serve it with pretty much any meat entree; I wouldn't serve it with pasta.
    False
    Sounds just like the casserole
    "souffle" I make using canned hominy I put through the blender, then add a tad of cornstarch and everything in your recipe except sugar.
    False
    Thanks. The recipe I saw today was just like the one you posted alliea. I then realized it was sent to me because I get the regular TOH Menu Newsletters emailed every week.

I did a little more follow-up research and it only received 3 1/2 "spoons" out of 5. I may still give it a try though. It certainly looked inviting and I know I like cornbread even though spoonbread is going to be much more moist.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Dottie
    False
    Thank you!

Tink~
    False
    I just made this...and it IS good! I'd give it more than 3.5 stars for sure! Thanks for posting!!

Tink~
    False
  • Re: RE: ISO: What entrees do you serve with spoon bread? I'd love to try a recipe recently received but

Thanks Tink- Just looking for a Corn Pudding today~Alliea

False