Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Last post Jul 07, 2009 4:25 PM by carolyk . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
    I hate when this happens. . .

I had a recipe I wanted to try from the latest issue of Bon Appetit.

It called for half a 9 oz. box of chocolate wafers (which, translated, can only mean Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers as there is NO other brand). I think I saw these about Christmas-time. Of course, I go looking for them and none of the stores in my area have them. I knew they would be hard to find - a few stores only carry them at the holidays and the others, for some reason, tend to stock them with the ice cream toppings.

I've now googled them and they don't even come up on the Nabisco site. Are they still being made? I can find them for sale on Amazon by the case (ha!) and Nabisco shows recipes for them, but not the actual product.

It's so maddening when corporations do this crap. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a competitive product, but there isn't. Oreo used to have a box of crumbs they sold in the baking aisle with the graham cracker crumbs, but they've discontinued those as well. I don't like to just grind up Oreo cookies as the filling tends to make the resulting crust "greasy". Even the HoneyMaid graham crumbs are hard to find anymore, I've only been able to find Keebler. I'm a stickler for tradition . . .but at least you can still grind your own graham crackers!

I did make the pie. I wound up buying a pre-made Oreo crust and using 4 1/2 oz. of its total weight (6 oz.), grinding it up with the other ingredients. It did seem like the consistency of the old Oreo crumbs rather than the whole cookies, which was good.

Unfortunately, the pie itself was only "okay". I think maybe my annoyance at not being able to find specific products colored my resulting opinion. The recipe also called for Mexican chocolate, which I'd never used before and have to say I didn't like AT ALL. WAAAY to sugary and had a "fake" cinnamon taste. Not an edible chocolate at all, IMHO.

Just curious if anyone knows anything about this product that I don't. Thanks - Beth
    False
  • RE: Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
    http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Nabisco_Famous_Chocolate_Wafers~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com
    False
    I don't know if this will help at all but I had the same problem. I finally found them in my local store but they are NOT in the cookie aisle. They are at the end of the ice cream aisle with the ice cream toppings and cones. Maybe your store put them there as well. Good luck.
    False
    The stores in my area also stock them with the ice cream toppings and cones.
    False
    My stores have them in the cookie aisle...but I'm shocked and upset that Oreo cookie crumbs have been discontinued. I just thought the stores I went to didn't carry them.

I always used them for my cheesecakes and now I have to bother to crunch up my own cookies, which is such a bother. Plus it doesn't taste the same. I might try crushing chocolate graham crackers, or sprinkling cocoa powder in the graham crumbs.

Well, thanks for letting me know about that. Hope you find the wafers.
    False
    the only place i've ever seen the famous wafers is in the freezer section, usually by ice cream and/or desserts.
    False

hey - just an idea, but maybe you can use the choclate graham crackers in the box, chocolate teddy grahams, or Big Lots carriea another brand of these wafers for $1. I had to use choclate grahams for a recipe before and the crust was very good.
    Bailes
    False
    I second trying the chocolate graham crackers if you can't find the wafers.

patti
    False

photo easterbabiespatti_141.gif

Does anyone remember the old Chocolate Wafer recipe that you used whipped cream and put it between each wafer and then frosted the whole log with whipped cream and refrigerated it for a few hours.

Boy, was that ever good.

Barb
    False
    Bosox,
    Yes! I just made that the other night for the very first time, and it was fantastic! I sweetened the whipped cream, though. They called for plain whipped cream, OR Cool Whip. Cool Whip is very sweet, so I figured I had better sweeten the whipping cream.
    I also put some vanilla in it.

Yum!

False

--DR

Visit me at my foodie website-- http://www.shockinglydelicious.com Twitter: @shockinglydlish Facebook: Shockinglydelicious

Famous Chocolate Refrigerator Roll

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups heavy cream, whipped, or 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed

9-ounce package Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Chocolate curls, for garnish

Stir vanilla into whipped cream or topping. Spread 1/2 tablespoon whipped cream or topping on each wafer. Begin stacking wafers together and stand on edge on serving platter to make a 14-inch log. Frost with remaining whipped cream or topping. Chill for 4 to 6 hours. To serve, garnish with chocolate curls; slice roll at 45-degree angle.

Serves 12

Source: The recipe for this simple but impressive-looking dessert has appeared on the Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers box for more than 50 years
    False

False
  • Re: Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

Nabisco still carries the chocolate wafers.  You can get them on line from  kraft.netgrocer.com

do not use the www.

Some stores still carry them I get mine at Dominicks Foods

False
  • Re: RE: Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
    I have made a slight variation on the Famous Choc. Refrig. Roll using instant Vanilla pudding between the choc. wafers (it doesn't hurt to add a few drops of Cointreau to the pudding!) and then frosting the roll with the whipped cream. Also, if you have a recipe where you need chocolate cookie crumbs, it is possible to use Oreos; just break apart and scrape out the frosting, then crush cookies.
    False
  • Re: RE: Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers

I made the icebox cake once with a mocha icing and have never been able to find the recipe again.  If anyone has it, I would think I'd gone to heaven to get a copy??

Aleida

False