8 Lb. Sirloin Tip Roast--- How do you cook it???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

8 Lb. Sirloin Tip Roast--- How do you cook it????

Last post Jan 24, 2007 11:04 AM by arizonacook . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • 8 Lb. Sirloin Tip Roast--- How do you cook it????
    My mom just bought an 8 lb. tip roast and asked me how she should cook it. Only problem is... I am not sure!!! Help and suggestions needed!

Do we cook it long and slow or should it be one that goes to medium rare?
    False
  • RE: 8 Lb. Sirloin Tip Roast--- How do you cook it????
    Catherine's Sirloin Tip Roast
    SUBMITTED BY: Kate Holmgreen
    Allrecipes.com

"This was my mother's signature recipe. Slice lengthwise, very thinly. Also delicious chilled, with spicy mustard on tiny party rolls."

3 pounds beef sirloin tip roast
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
    1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Secure roast with cooking twine.
    Make 8 (1/2 inch) slits around the roast, and insert 1/2 garlic clove into each slit. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Place on a rack in roasting pan.
    Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and insert meat thermometer into roast. Continue cooking to desired doneness; remove from oven. Loosely cover with foil, and let roast stand 15 minutes before slicing.
    To serve, slice thinly against the grain, and use pan drippings for gravy.

For medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145 degrres, medium 160 and well-done 170.

False
    I cook my sirloin tip roast on top of the stove real slow. Pick a day on the weekend when I will be around. Put a little oil in pot (I use a heavy one) brown roast on all sides. Add one onion (or two if small) sliced and one cup of water w/beef bullion. A few bay leaves. Cover leaving slightly ajar to vent. Slow flame all day. Add more liquid if needed. The last hour I put in my potatoes and carrots and they come out with a nice crispy glaze. The roast is fork tender after 3-4 hours. Good luck,
    Janetplanet
    False
    Here's one I like:

Source: Allrecipes

Herb Rubbed Sirloin Tip Roast
    1 1/4 T paprika
    1 T kosher salt
    1 t garlic powder
    1/2 t ground black pepper
    1/2 t onion powder
    1/2 t ground cayenne pepper
    1/2 t dried oregano
    1/2 t dried thyme
    2 T olive oil
    1 (3-pound) sirloin tip roast

In small bowl, mix seasonings; sir in the olive oil and allow mixture to sit about 15 mins.

Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast in pan and cover on all sides with spice mixture.

Roast 1 hr in preheated oven, or to minimum temperature of 145°. Let sit 15 mins before serving

*I also would start it at a high temperature, 450 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn down to 325 to slow cook.

This is a very large roast, so you have to be careful that the outer most meat doesn't dry out before the inside is done. I, personally, wouldn't cook a roast that large. Anytime I've made roast beef for large groups, I've used two 4-5 lb roasts. You might even want to cut it in half, and save one for another time. Otherwise, cut in half and roast both.

Sirloin tip is a good cut to oven roast, and I don't think you'd really want to pot roast it. Save that for a cheaper cut of meat.

Arlene

Arlene
    False
    If she does not want all of it at one time, I would cut it in half and use one for a roast beef, and put the other one in the freezer for a later time or make a crockpot meal.
    False
    Amy