How do you drain yogurt? (Recipe included) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How do you drain yogurt? (Recipe included)

Last post Feb 29, 2012 9:48 AM by Alliea . 21 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 12
  • How do you drain yogurt? (Recipe included)
    I found this recipe. It all sounds easy, except for the drained yogurt
    Thanks, Lynn in Cabot
    False
  • RE: How do you drain yogurt? (Recipe included)
    Sorry, I forgot the attachment.
    1 cup drained no-fat yogurt
    2 T lemon juice
    2 T corn syrup
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Mix all ingredients. To serve warm, microwave 3 minutes on medium or heat in saucepan over medium low heat until heated through. Pour over cake or vanilla ice cream.
    False
    You will need either cheesecloth or a coffee filter. Put the cloth or filter in a strainer/colander and add yogurt. Let the yogurt drain until it is the consistency you want it to be. I like mine to be almost like cream cheese. If you want it fairly thick, it can take up to 24 hours. If you let it drain this long, I recommend placing in fridge.
    False
    Line a wire mesh strainer with cheesecloth. Put the yogurt into the lined strainer. Cover and refrigerate about 24 hours. CeCe
    False

Thank you. I'll get on that straight away. Lynn
    False
    What I do is buy the cheapest white knee high stockings I can find in a dime store (or dollar store). Wash them, cut in pieces long enough to make a not in an open end (ecept for the toe end), so you have about a 6" length, unsretched.
    That is how I drain it, fill it, put a string around the end, pull out a drawr a bit, hang on a drawr knob and put a bowl under it. The stocking part can be washed at least 5-6 times and its better than cheesecloth or a coffee filter and cheaper.
    False
    Grelo, always to the rescue. Thanks. I'll add stockings to my shopping list. Lynn
    False
    I cut the 'foot' of my old panty hose and use that for draining things. It works great for draining so many things. And as Gr elo says, it's washable and re-usable.
    Clean panty hose....of course LOL
    I also cut the 'legs' of my panty hose and use the strips to tie up plants in the garden. Panty hose have many uses.
    False
    Since I retired, the only thing I use stockings for is to stake things out in the yard. I hadn't thought of using them in the kitchen, but now I will. Thanks! Lynn
    False
    Only yogurt which is thickened with pectin can be drained satisfactorily. The brands that have gelatin in them do not drain hardly at all.

Of the brands sold here, Dannon works best.

Bobbi Jo
    False

Friends are the flowers in the garden of life ~~ Bobbi Jo

It's just as easy to make your own yogurt from powdered, fat free milk. Buy a few tablets of culture from a health food store.
    Mix your milk.(add 1'3 extra milk powder tomake a more "creamy" yogurt). Put into a quart canning jar, put lid on lightly(not too toght)).
    Take a heting pad, fold a bat towel in half, then in half again andlay on heting pad. Tur heatng pad on low, set jar on it and cover with a blanket or folded afghan. In a few hours you will nice, creamy yogurt. And it will drain.
    The nxt batch canbe made with some of what you made. After about 6 times of doing that, use a tablet again. It's a lot cheaper than buying it in a store, especially if you buy powdered milk in bulk in healthfood store or co-op or even order it from somewhere. I get mine from:
    Walton Feed,com
    in a 50 lbs bag, with shipping from Idaho to ND it comes to a bout
    $1.30 p gallon made up.
    False
    I'm glad to get an alternative method. The yogurt I put into my cheesecloth lined strainer late last night hasn't moved. I have it in a bowl in the refrigerator, and it is just sitting there, trying not to laugh at me. I'm not sure I'm going to do all that bath towel stuff, though. In fact, I doubt very seriously if I'll do anything of the sort.
    Thank you Grelo. I do appreciate your advice, and will keep it on file.
    Lynn
    False
    My late MIL, God rest her soul, taught me that the best way to strain yogurt is to get a dishtowel wet - use one of the smooth ones, not a terrycloth one - dump the yogurt in the center, tie up the four corners to make like a hobo pack, and hang it from an upper cabinet knob and let it drip into a bowl beneath. I usually let mine drip several hours. It seems that the wet dishtowel kind of gets the yogurt started dripping. We use this drained yogurt to make a yogurt salad.
    Sharon Arab
    False
    Rezaswife
    All in all, I've decided it's hardly worth the effort. LOL. What's the point in buying fat free dairy if you still have to drain it? I think I'll just use my yogurt as is. LOL. I do appreciate all your input. Lynn
    False

Even a single layer of paper towel works just as well.

False