amish apple dumplings | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

amish apple dumplings

Last post Jan 29, 2007 8:48 PM by mamarule . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • amish apple dumplings
    Hi Every one
    Iam new to the board.I just love reading all the recipes and advice.Iam looking for a amish apple dumpling recipe.I had them up in Amish country in Berlin Ohio.I haven't found any recipe to get that flavor.I have tried a lot of them.They have a certain topping over them.Like a heavy carmel or something.Thanks
    False
  • RE: amish apple dumplings
    ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
    ```)¨(´´´    l±±±±
    ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

It's nice to have you join us, I'm Linda (LindaChicken) -- North East Oklahoma!

Sit back and enjoy. Take advantage of years of recipe collecting and web snooping. **Tee*Hee**

If you are looking for simple but delicious recipes to masterpiece or friendly and helpful people you ARE in the right place --

Welcome Home!

Here are 3 links for you . They will help you find interesting and useful information to help you make the most of your time on this wonderful BB...in just no time I hope you find that you have found a new family here!

Have fun !
    ABBREVIATIONS__

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=206197&catnum=68&headnum=2

HINTS & TIPS__

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=187022&catnum=68&headnum=2

COLLECTION OF RECIPES THREADS BY_ Ann_Marie_PA

http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&threadnum=762261&searchrep=8430463#search

♫ LindaChicken

♡ God Bless our Troops ♡

Hugs to ya! Waving from Oklahoma......

False

Photobucket

Hi mamarule, and welcome to this BB from Alabama! Hope you decide to stay with us and share your favorite recipes.

We love apple dumplings, but I must admit that I cheat and use warmed caramel ice cream topping. LOL

Maybe this one is similar to what you are looking for.

Apple Dumplings with Caramel Sauce

1 sheet frozen puff pastry
    4 Golden Delicious or Jonathan apples
    4 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 egg lightly beaten
    1 tsp water
    1 tsp sugar

On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry into a 16 inch square then cut in 4 squares.

Peel and core apples. Trim the bottoms so the apple sit flat. Place 1 apple in the center of each square. Combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and spoon into apples.

Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Moisten the edge of the pastry with the mixture. Bring the pastry up around the apple, pleating the pastry as needed to form a seal.

Place the dumplings in an ungreased baking dish. Brush with the remaining egg mixture, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes until golden brown.

Caramel Sauce

2/3 cup sugar
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 tsp vanilla

In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat, tilt and swirl sugar until melted and amber-colored, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in whipping cream. Mixture will bubble and sugar will harden. Stir until sugar melts again and sauce boils, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let sauce cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool.

False
    Hello to you from the coast of NC!!!

Debbie
    False
    Thank you for the greeting by all of you.
    I will try the recipe maybe this weekend.This sure sounds like what Iam looking for.I hope to learn to short cut the words.Thanks from N.Y were the snow flies.I have learned a lot already and never to old to learn more.
    False
    Welcome to the board, mamarule.

I'm Margaret, from SE. KS. I'm sure you're going to love this board. I've been here almost 4 years. I'm 68 with 4 adult children, and 9 grandkids.

the apple dumpling recipe sounds good. I have a recipe for apple fritters, if you want to try them.

Margaret (Mapanda)
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.
    False
    Old Fashioned Amish Apple Dumplings

Dough:
    2 cups flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup shortening
    1/2 cup milk

Sauce:
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 cups hot water
    1/4 cup butter
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    6 apples,peeled,and cut in half.

Roll out,cut in squares;place 1 apple
    half on each square.Press dough
    around apple.Set dumplings in pan,
    pour sauce over them and bake.

From an Amish Cookbook.

Barbara:)

Welcome from Georgia.
    False
    Thank you for the other recipe,I will also try this recipe also.I would also love to try apple fritters some day.I just love to try my recipes on the family.Iam married ,57 years old , for 20 years.I have three children and 1 step son.We have 3 grandchildren.The last one at home will get married in June.
    I just love this board.I was so excited when I found it.Like a kid at Christmas.Thank you to all of you for your reply.I will let you know when I make them.I will share my recipes with you'se.
    False