Allergy to hair dye | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Allergy to hair dye

Last post Apr 05, 2011 4:44 PM by sauregurke . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Allergy to hair dye
    I have a severe allergic reaction to permanent hair dye - found out it is the PPD, which is even in the temporary colors that my gal uses. Clairol Loving Care doesn't have it, but it only lasts a short time. Does anyone know of a beauty supply source that I could refer her to for a PPD free hair color? The allergic reaction is the pits!! Am just not ready for the 'gray' hair yet...
    False
  • RE: Allergy to hair dye
    Have checked at Sally's?
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    This is exactly why I am letting my hair go gray. I had a bad reaction to hair conditioner a few weeks ago. I don't want to have one to a dye, I can avoid that. I figure I am old enough to deserve some white hair and DH has been white for years.
    Good luck finding one that you can use.
    False
    There is no such thing as a permanent haircolor that is without para-phenylene-diamine (or derivatives para-toulene-diamine and meta-toulene-diamine).
    By your question, it seems you don't wish to use a color rinse (only in until you shampoo) or a semi-permanent color (like Loving Care). Even at that, if you do choose to use a semi-permanent, most of them contain para-phenylene-diamine. Color rinses (Roux Fanci-ful) don't contain it, but have FDA approved colorings (same as those used in foods).

In short, I have to tell you the cold, hard truth. There is NO permanent option for you. Sorry. You would be risking serious health problems if you used anything permanent again.
    False
  • Re: Allergy to hair dye
    I have also had a severe allergic reaction to PPD. It happened Dec '06. I ended up in Urgent Care getting a shot, meds and an EPI pen to carry! ;( Since that time, I went to an allergist who confirmed I am allergic to to PPD and I was doing "full weaves" on my hair with the foils. I was doing it that way to avoid contact to my scalp. Well, here it is a year later and guess what, I'm still allergic and having problems. Long story short, the doc says even just inhaling the fumes may cause me to react. What hair salon doesn't have fumes??? Anyway, I'm researching what others are doing. I see that there is a lot more info on the net just this past year with people becoming allergic to PPD. (All of it is bad news.) I think I am going to try and set up a forum/support group for people like us. (On network54 forums) In the meantime, I'm seriously considering giving up at the salon and just using Clairol Loving Care and see how it goes. I DO NOT want to be gray either (just yet anyway, I'm not that old). Take care, gogo
    False
    Here is the bulletin board I just started up about PPD and hair color: http://www.network54.com/Forum/603111/ gogo
    False

What is PPD and Why Should I Care If It’s In My Hair Dye?

PPD or p-PHENYLENDIAMINE is a chemical substance widely used in both “do-it-yourself” and salon hair dyes.  Although PPD helps achieve permanent natural hair colour, for many it comes at a cost.  Although PPD has been linked from everything from bladder cancer and renal failure to autism, no research substantiates these assertions.  PPD, however, is a recognized contact allergen and herein lies the problem.  Again the reaction may range from mild dermatitis to anaphylaxis.  Unfortunately, due to a lack of hair care product options, until recently this has meant assuming health risks or going without the benefits that beauty products offer. 

Now, however, there are natural hair care products available, which do not contain PPD, that achieve results similar to salon and “do-it-yourself” hair care products.  With alternatives available, if you know you react negatively to PPD or are in the least predisposed to allergies, why assume the risk?  Consider using organic beauty products that are PPD free when choosing beauty products in general and hair care products specifically.  Sanotint Light Hair Dye offers the benefits of other permanent hair dyes but does not contain PPD. Also, like all of La Vita Nuova natural beauty products, the natural hair care products are designed to be gentle, effective and safe, when achieving the natural match hair colour desired.  For some this option opens up a new world of beauty products.  Restricted by reactions to PPD, Sanotint Light Hair Dye offers an alternative hair care products to sufferers. If you are someone who, because of allergies or health concerns, has shied away from hair care products in general or if you are seeking natural hair care products, investigate Sanotint Light Hair Dye and the entire range of La Vita Nuova natural hair care products, committed to offering the most natural hair care and beauty products available.  

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Alliea - Thanks for the post and the links. I can't find the ingredients listed anywhere on the site. Can you please direct me to a listing of the ingredients. I'm very interested in the product. Thanks! gogo http://www.network54.com/Forum/603111/
    False

Bump.

False

Wattle Paradise

• Re: RE: Allergy to hair dye

There are lots of Permenant PPD FREE hair dyes on the Market. A really nice one I use is "Nature By Palette". Google it. You will be happy!!Smile

False

Thanks for all the information.I am only allergic to Clairol haircolor and i had a very bad reaction to it.It is a nightmare.I used other products for years and I did not break out. How sells the natural rpoducts you all mentioned here? Thanks.

False