Are butter & shortening interchangeable?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Are butter & shortening interchangeable??

Last post Feb 25, 2007 10:23 AM by Ann_Marie_PA . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Are butter & shortening interchangeable??
    I have a recipe for Pumpkin Cookies that calls for 1/2 cup shortening...and I don't care for shortening. Would much rather use the butter.

Would it be ok???

Thanks!
    Ann
    False

• RE: Are butter & shortening interchangeable??
    Ann, for that recipe it should be fine. Butter has more water than shortening so certain cookies will be softer and have other texture differences but a pumpkin cookie is already a soft, moist cookie so you should have no problem.
    chefly
    False
    http://www.preparedpantry.com/printable2.html

Can I Substitute Butter for Shortening?

Speaking of substitutes, the question came up this week, “Can I substitute butter for shortening in my cookie recipes?”

The answer is a qualified “yes”. We have substituted butter in many of our recipes and believe butter makes a tastier, healthier cookie. (Shortening and margarine are made with hydrogenated fat and most of us would like to reduce hydrogenated fat in our diets.)

Your cookies will turn out a little differently if you substitute butter for shortening. Shortening makes a cookie that is crisp on the edges and chewy in the middle. Butter makes a cookie crisper throughout. Because of the moisture in butter, cookies made with butter tend to spread more during baking.

If you need to, you can counteract some of the spread and crispness in the butter cookie with the addition of an extra egg. Whole eggs or egg yolks give cookies a cake-like texture. So try your favorite recipe with butter instead of shortening and bake a few of the cookies. If they turn out too crisp or too flat, add an egg and try again.

We went to great lengths to develop a snickerdoodle cookie that used butter instead of shortening. Check out our Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix. These are the only snickerdoodles that we have found that do not call for shortening. (Snickerdoodles mentioned are on site at top if desired)

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thank you!
    False