ISO Old Fashioned cooked butter mints | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Old Fashioned cooked butter mints

Last post Mar 19, 2007 9:22 AM by BCS . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • ISO Old Fashioned cooked butter mints
    Years ago, probably close to 100, my mother made the best butter mints that she used for teas, etc. I remember she cooked a syrup of sugar and water along with a stich of butter added. I don't know to what temp she cooked this syrup but when it was "done", she poured it out on a cold slab of buttered marble and then we buttered our hands and then started pulling and twisting the syrup (you could handle it gingerly)as it began to cool. Then I remember finally6 after pulling and folding the mixture, she would take scissors and cut into tiny mints. It seems to me that we left them out to "season" for 24 hours but you all know how memories can be! Does anyone have anything like this...or even know of such a thing? It is definitely Southern but cannot figure out how to prepare them. I have been searching for quite a few years without success though there are lots of people who know exactly what I am talking about. Looking forward to hearing. Barb
    False
  • RE: ISO Old Fashioned cooked butter mints
    Butter Mints

3 cups white sugar
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup boiling water
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 drops peppermint oil
    food coloring (optional)

Place sugar and 3 tablespoons butter into a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Pour the boiling water over, and stir to dissolve. Allow the mixture to come to a rolling boil. It will boil up in the pot as if it is going to boil over, but it will settle down. Use some of the remaining butter to butter a marble slab.

When the sugar mixture reaches the soft crack stage of 270 to 280 degrees F (132 to 140 degrees C), remove from the heat immediately. Pour onto the buttered marble slab. Add peppermint oil and food coloring if desired. Butter your hands, and start pulling up pieces of the sugar blob. Keep stretching so that it will not set up. Continue to stretch until it has lost it's shine and is stringier.

Pull the candy out into one long string, and cut into 1 inch segments using scissors. Store candies in an airtight tin.
    False
  • RE: ISO Old Fashioned cooked butter mints
    Merritt, this is wonderful. I had totally forgotten about peppermint oil and do remember Mother used it. Maybe later this week I will give this a try. Thanks so much for your help. Barb
    False