Distilled White Vinegar - Use As A Hair Rinse???? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Distilled White Vinegar - Use As A Hair Rinse????

Last post Mar 27, 2007 6:48 PM by zakons . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Distilled White Vinegar - Use As A Hair Rinse????
    My friend just told me that this makes a great hair rinse - suppose to remove build up. Have any of you heard of this?? Thanks! Charter
    False
  • RE: Distilled White Vinegar - Use As A Hair Rinse????
    I used this in the 1970's occasionally. I also used lemon juice to lighten the color and cut the build-up. The acids cut the grease and build-up from products. Amy
    False
    Sounds pretty stinky to me, and will strip color, naturally occuring oils, and dry your scalp.
    False
    If you don't color your hair and use once weekly to remove styling product build-up, it works great, leaves hair vibrant and shiny. It's not stinky provided you rinse well and apply it between your shampoo and conditioner.

:)Meg
    False
    I just read about this on www.welltellme.com a few weeks ago.

I tried it with apple cider vinegar. It really does work. It made my hair softer and combed easier when wet better than conditioner.

The smell is kind of strong at first, but evaporates as hair dries.

Leat
    False
    Visit my blogs at www.singofhismercies.blogspot.com and www.leatsfavoriterecipes.blogspot.com Visit our web site at www.brookscanoeandkayak.webs.com The WeatherPixie
    I used that way back when I was a teen ager. Does it smeill, not after the hair is dry. Does it work, yes, great. I don't know about stripping the dyed color out of your hair, never done that. But yes it is good.
    The price is right also.

Beth
    False
    My mother always rinsed her hair with apple cider vinegar and she's 84! I've used it for over 30 years, too. We use it as a final rinse, though. It really leaves your hair clean and soft. It doesn't leave your scalp dry, or harm your hair. We've never had an issue with dandruff. If you don't like the smell, just rinse it well after you use it.

Mellissa
    False

I had a woman's salon and day spa in the midwest for years. We always kept a bottle of cider vinegar on the shelf. If we had an adverse chemical reaction from color or perms, it would be used to instantly neutralize the adverse action. We only had to use it once, thank heavens.

I don't know about it making the hair feel good, but it will certainly neutralize the action from shampoo, if that is a concern to you.
    False

Been doing this since the 50's. Removes excess soap and conditioner and makes hair shiny. Does not strip color or oils.
    1/2 cup vinegar- doesn't matter what kind to 1 quart water.
    I read somewhere that you use one kind of vinegar if your body is acidic and one kind if you are basic.
    Apple cider vinegar makes an excellent astringent. It has also been suggested that a tablespoon of vinegar will keep the arteries unclogged. I also clean my coffepot with vinegar. LOL.
    False
    Anyone--Does lemon juice really highlight or enhance blond hair? So you use every day or just once in awhile? Thanks.

Barb
    False
    Apple cider vinegar used to be a common hair rinse in the 1960's. We all used it. Gave your hair great shine.
    False
    It is an excellent hair rinse. It cleans all the gunk off the hair. These are all the wonderful things that our grandparents knew about. Also..... this is a yucky subject but if the school where your child goes has a lice problem, this is truly important to keep your child's hair rinsed with vinegar. Lice like hair that is not clean or has build up on it... rinsing with vinegar gives them nothing to cling to.

Hugs,
    ♥Marcia

False
    Yes, years ago I used it when I was younger..that and rinsing with "beer" works...

But........

DO NOT use it if you dye your hair...It does strip the color out completely...
    I have a scalp problem and read about vinegar on the scalp...I dabbed on the areas I needed it on...

What a shock....my dark hair on one side of my head in the morning was pure WHITE in blotches...I had to call into work...my hair was a mess

so do not use vinegar on your hair/scalp if you now dye your hair...

I had to redye my hair the dark color again....what a mess...
    False
    yeah, i would be afraid it would strip the hair color that i pay so much for...so, don't think it would be worth it! lol (~.~)rettajo
    False
    I do this occasionally with apple cider vinegar and it makes my hair extremely soft. My hubby uses it as a rinse to help his scalp from itching (apple cider vinegar, that is)... can't smell it because he either rinses it really well, or rewashes it right after. :)

April
    False