ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe

Last post Apr 28, 2009 7:27 AM by kc123 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe
    I thought I had posted this but couldn't find anything so I apologize if I am posting again. If someone replied could they please bump. I will check back later today. Thank you.

I have a friend who used to live in OH and loved a date/nut cake she got at a local bakery. She said it had a frosting but not a cream cheese and it wasn't really sweet. I thought maybe it was Amish but can't find anything in my cookbook collection.

Does anyone have a recipe for a date nut cake or know of a bakery in OH that still makes it?

Thank you!
    False
    Michele in NWPA
  • RE: ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe
    Was it Baker's Bakery in or near Cleveland, OH? There are still some Baker's Bakeries around. Also there is a Dick's Bakery in Berea Ohio that is supposed to have a pretty close second to Baker's. I know Fragapannes' sells Date Nut cake also but I've had it and it is not nearly as good as Baker's. Baker's is the best I've ever had, in fact it is my birthday cake almost every year.

I'll look around and see if I can find any from my local cookbooks.

Sue
    False
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I get rave reviews whenever I take it anywhere.

DATE-WALNUT SNACK BARS

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup butter, melted
    2 eggs
    2 cups chopped dates
    2 cups chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 13x9 pan.
    Combine cake mix and brown sugar in large bowl, blend well. Add melted butter and eggs. Beat 2 min. at medium speed. Stir in dates and nuts, blend well (batter will be stiff). Spread evenly in greased pan.
    Bake 35-45 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool 10 min., run knife around edge and cool completely. May use praline glaze (this makes the cake to me).

PRALINE GLAZE

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup Pet milk

Mix all ingredients. Cook over low heat to 235 degrees. Beat lightly. Pour over hot cake. May add nuts to glaze if desired.

Lyn

False
    bump
    False
    Baker's is the best and Dick's Bakery is also very good (PS gavingrma, my mom is friends with the owners of Dick's Bakery). You wouldn’t go wrong with either, if you get to the Cleveland area that is.
    False

Charleezangel_OH "My Chocolate Lab Owns My Heart!"

Charleezangel, I went by Dick's quite few months back hoping they would have just a cupcake or very little bar of date nut to try before my birthday. They did not but I did get a doughnut and oh my was it good!

Newsahm_PA, I could not find a recipe in any of my local cookbooks.

Sue
    False
    This is a very old recipe from my grandmother that my family has made for years. It's called a date "pudding" but it is a cake consistency and very moist but not real sweet. Mom always serves it with just whipped cream.

Date Pudding
    1 c. chopped dates (pour 1 c. boiling water over and let stand)
    Cream together: 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 c. sugar.
    Add 1-1/2 c. flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1 c. chopped walnuts.
    Beat 1 egg, add to dates plus 1 tsp. baking soda. Add date mixture to flour mixture.
    Pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake in slow oven (320-325) until top is browned and toothpick comes clean. NOTE: Sorry, Mom's recipe doesnt' give exact baking time, but I'm guessing about 30 minutes.)
    False
    Thank you all so much. She did mention she used to live around Cleveland and my hubby gets over there for work about every 2 weeks. I'll have him look it up. This year she will be 40 and mentioned she had it every year for her birthday also.

I'm printing this post off and will try the other recipes. They look pretty easy.

Thanks again!
    False
    Michele in NWPA
  • Re: ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe

Yes, I live in Cleveland and a bakery named Bakers Bakery makes this cake. It is their signature cake and they have been making it for many years. One of their locations ( I think the original ) is located on W 105th St. The frosting they use is marvelous. I have a recipe for that frosting or it is the closest thing to it I have ever tried. I would have to dig it out but, I remember that 1st you cook flour & milk together tomake a paste, cool it, and then mix w/ a combo of crisco, butter & granulated sugar and beat a long time. Hope this helps.

False
  • Re: ISO..Date Nut Cake Recipe

Hi Karen,

could you please post the recipe you have for the date nut cake frosting. I remember this cake growing up in Ohio. The best. I may be traveling thru Ohio soon and hopefully it will still taste like  I remember. Thanks

False