I made this just as the recipe stated and boy, is it good stuff. I put it on sandwiches and today dipped a hard cooked egg in it. It is a little spicy, a bit garlicky and oh, so delicious. Thanks CookieCarol.
chefly
Posted by: CookieCarol Posted on: 3/16/2007 10:28:01 PM
#R8863678
"Raising Cane's is an almost exact copy of a small chain called Guthrie's that has been operating in Alabama since the early '80s, down to the Texas toast and, yes, the SAUCE. I have been making 'Guthrie's Sauce' for years using the following recipe, " writes P.J. of New Orleans, who grew up in Auburn, Ala. "Cane's sauce and Guthrie's sauce are dead-on the same thing."

The "very important" ingredients missing from earlier discussions here: Worcestershire sauce and garlic salt.

Then, another northern Alabamian, A.M., called to say the same thing.

"That's hilarious about Cane's dipping sauce, " he said. "I have the original recipe" from Guthrie's, which he said has been in business in Auburn since 1959.

The recipe he shared was for an industrial-size amount: 15 pounds mayonnaise, 7 pounds ketchup, 21 ounces Worcestershire sauce, 6 ounces black pepper and 6 ounces garlic salt.

Here is a more workable recipe for Guthrie's sauce that P.J. makes. He adds, "These measures are approximate. I usually just eyeball it."

His sauce has paprika in it.

Guthrie's sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup ketchup

1/2 tablespoon garlic powder

1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon paprika

Generous amount of black pepper (cover surface two or three times and mix in)

Combine all ingredients. It will start to look and taste right as you blend them together, but it is best to let the sauce sit for a few hours before serving.