What Do you add to a cake mix to make it better, I know this has been posted before but I can't remember what you add. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What Do you add to a cake mix to make it better, I know this has been posted before but I can't remember what you add.

Last post Nov 07, 2010 7:04 PM by pigy_WV . 22 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 12
  • What Do you add to a cake mix to make it better, I know this has been posted before but I can't remember what you add.
    Is it milk and pudding? Please help me to figure this out. Thanks

Debbie
    False
  • RE: What Do you add to a cake mix to make it better, I know this has been posted before but I can't remember what you add.
    Instant pudding usually. But if you go to allrecipes.com & search for "cake mix cakes" you'll find a ton of recipes.
    False
  • RE: What Do you add to a cake mix to make it better, I know this has been posted before but I can't remember what you add.
    Thanks. I know it has been discussed here before that you add a couple ingredients to the mix to make it moister.

Debbie
    False
    I added pudding mix, but you eliminate some of the other stuff that is normally added to the mix. I think it was one box instant pudding mix and four eggs, maybe some milk? No oil? Can someone remind me exactly what it is?
    False
    Debbie, someone said once to add 1 teas. of vanilla extract to a cake mix to make it taste more homemade!
    :)
    Ellen
    False
    Here is a recipe that I have used for years. It is very rich and moist:
    1 pkg chocolate cake mix
    1 small pkg of instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 - 12oz package of chocolate chips
    4 eggs
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 cup water

Pour into greased/floured angel food cake pans. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50-60 min. NOTE: I usually use 2 cake pans, instead of the angel food pan. If you do this, you may have to reduce the amount of time in the oven.

False
    I think this is what you're looking for...
    1 box instant pudding
    2 eggs
    2 cups of milk

Thanks again to enjoynature_PA for sharing it with us. I use it ALL the time now.

Posted by: enjoynature_PA Replies: 17 Posted on: 2/28/2005 5:15:57 AM
    #T482131
    I was searching yesterday to add something to a cake mix on the internet. I get tired of the same old same old. I use to professionally cake decorate. So I know how to make moist cakes. So I thought.Until Yesterday I came across a recipe where you take your cake mix add l box of instant pudding, 2 eggs, 2 cups of milk. Mix and enjoy.What a super moist cake, so light so airy, to wonderful. Before to make a moist cake that people thought it was not scratch. I would separate the eggs and whip the white into almost a meriqune like then slowly add the cake mix, the yolks, oil and water. Whipping on high. The cake I made yesterday was more moist then the old way I use to do it. I would highly recommend it.Try it next time tell me what you think~
    False
    I don't know how true this is, but my aunt heard on a cooking show that if you put olive oil in a recipe instead of vegetable oil, the cake, brownies - whatever it is turns out fluffier or lighter. I forgot to ask what kind of olive oil she used, but she said it really worked. Has anyone else heard this?
    False
    Thanks everyone. Dessert1st is the one I was thinking of. I am going to make DD's wedding cake so I need to practice. I think I'll try this tomorrow.

Debbie
    False
    bumping for later.
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
    dessert 1'st is the one I was thinking of, it is great, I had compliments on my "homemade" cake, even from DH, who does not like a cake from a box. I had him fooled. Thank you for looking this one up.
    False
    Ellen--I do something similar to the vanilla, but I use Vanilla Butter Nut Flavoring. A professional cake decorator told me that it would make any box mix taste homemade. I ALWAYS got compliments on my cakes--took them into work often, and just used good ole Duncan Hines with the vanilla butter nut flavoring. I think PghJan could vouch for my cakes, as we worked in the same office! I miss them :-( as they are not on my diet now!
    Bonnie
    False
    Add Fun Flavor to Cake Mixes
    Taste of Home Newsletter November 1, 2004

HAVE a boxed cake mix in your cupboard? Create a new taste sensation by adding a simple ingredient or two! For example, add rich flavor to a white cake mix with your favorite extract...mix coffee instead of water into chocolate cake mix for a mouth-watering mocha variation...or fold flaked coconut into a yellow cake batter for a tasty change of pace. The sky's the limit, so be creative!

Before mixing the cake batter, try one of the following variations:
    • Substitute coffee or your favorite carbonated beverage for the water.
    • Add 1 tablespoon of grated lemon or orange peel.
    • Add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
    • Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of vanilla, almond, orange, lemon, coconut, peppermint or rum extract, or butter or maple flavoring.

After mixing the batter, stir in one of the following ingredients:
    • 2 to 4 ounces of finely chopped semisweet or milk chocolate.
    • 1 cup finely chopped nuts.
    • 1 cup coarsely crushed cookies.
    • 1 cup flaked coconut.
    • 1/2 cup almond brickle baking chips or English toffee chips.
    • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds.
    False
    I thought I had more, Debbie, but this is all I found.

Christine
    False
    bump
    False