ISO cherry cookies like Collin Street Bakery's | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO cherry cookies like Collin Street Bakery's

Last post Apr 13, 2007 1:13 PM by clowning . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • ISO cherry cookies like Collin Street Bakery's
    The Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, Texas, is best known for its fruitcakes, but when we stopped there while travelling, we found they make the most delicious cookies too! We especially liked the cherry ones (Such a lovely pink color, soft, with bits of maraschino cherry, possibly dipped in granulated sugar before baking) and the delicate, almost candy-like, praline cookies. As we do not travel that way much, I would love to have the recipes for these cookies. Can anyone help?
    False
  • RE: ISO cherry cookies like Collin Street Bakery's
    ISO...Cookie recipe using maraschino cherries...
    Posted by: kathyf1 Posted on: 12/12/2005 8:42:52 AM
    #R6850493
    Classic Cherry Butter Cookies

Believe it or not this recipe is from the old horror movie actor vincent price! Apparently he was quite the gourmet who cooked frequently and he demonstrated this recipe on the old Dinah Shore afternoon talk show. I copied it down when I was a little girl and have been happily making them ever since. These have become a family favorite and a much requested recipe- I make these every christmas.

Preheat oven to 350

1 cup butter, softened (it must be butter - no substitutes)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 tsp almond extract
    2 1/2 cups flour
    halved maraschino cherries

Cream butter in large bowl. Gradually beat in sugar until fluffy. beat in egg and almond extract. gradually blend in flour. Chill dough for 30 mins for ease in handling. Roll small spoonfuls of dough into little balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets ( I use parchment paper on the cookie sheets) Place half cherry, cut side down, in middle of each cookie and press down slightly. Bake 8-9 mins or just until bottoms are golden. Remove and place on racks to cool.
    False
    These sound closer to what you want, just roll them in sugar before baking!
    :)
    Ellen

ISO...Cookie recipe using maraschino cherries...
    Posted by: DorothyR_in_Malibu Posted on: 12/12/2005 7:55:05 AM
    #R6850283
    Subject: Cherry Jewels
    Posted by: starshineeliz Replies: 9 Posted on: 12/6/2005 10:27:45 PM
    #T610369
    From the "Cook n Chat" board..the comments are the poster's there:

These are real pretty on a Christmas cookie tray as the dough becomes slightly pink once the cherries are mixed in and they are baked.

CHERRY JEWELS

2 1/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    2/3 cups butter, softened
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg ( I always use freshly ground)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. brandy extract
    1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
    powdered sugar for sprinkling

Heat oven to 350. In large mixer bowl, cream flour, granulated sugar, and butter. Add egg and beat. Then add nutmeg, salt, brandy extract and cherries. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed, 2 - 3 minutes. Shape rounded easpoonfuls of dough into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove immediately, cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies.

Note: It seems every time I make these (well not EVERY time) they turn out differently. I have had them come out in a round ball, in a mounded 1/2 ball, and in a fairly flat puffed cookie shape. Don't ask me why. Probably difference in the temp of the dough when I baked them, but each time they tasted the same and no matter what shape, they were great. One of my DH's favorites for the holidays. I probably ought to make them all year long as they mix up quickly and are ready in just a few minutes.
    False
    BUMP FOR THIS
    False
    Thank you for your help!
    False
    bumping for later. These sounds like my guys would like them.
    False