Don't wash/rinse chicken before you cook it | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Don't wash/rinse chicken before you cook it

Last post Apr 15, 2007 6:22 PM by archi96 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Don't wash/rinse chicken before you cook it
    The County Extension has a column in our paper where people ask questions and they are answered. Anyway, someone asked about rinsing chicken and the answer was that you should NOT rinse chicken before cooking. The reason is that rinsing the chicken just spreads/splashes the germs into your sink and countertop and anything else the water touches. Cooking the chicken destroys the salmonella bacteria, but if you rinse it, the bacteria still remains in your kitchen where it can easily contaminate other food items, sponges, dishcloths, etc. It certainly makes sense.
    False
  • RE: Don't wash/rinse chicken before you cook it

That may be the correct thing to do, but I just have to rinse mine. LOL

I know cooking will kill germs, but when I think of who all may have handled that chicken during processing and packaging, and who knows where their hands have been, it just gives me the willies. LOL My brain just forces me to wash it off first!

I do try to be very careful about not splashing and spreading the water, though.

Am I the only one? LOL

False
    No, you're not the only one. I'm 68 years old and have been cooking for 50 years, and have always rinsed my chicken too. I've cleaned and dressed a lot of chickens when we raised them, and it would have been impossible to get them clean with thoroughly washing them. As far as I know no one who has ever ate chicken cooked by me has ever gotten sick from it.

Margaret
    False

If your spirit is grateful and humble / your tongue won't constantly grumble.
    Weeellll...I am sure in their research that seems right. I put my chicken in a big pot with a tbs.of seasalt and cold water. Let it set for at least 30 mins. unless it's frozen and then longer. That's just me. After I dump the water, I run hot water, Dawn and bleach in the sink and wash, wash, wash. I've never had a problem. Anytime I wash dishes by hand, in goes the bleach.
    False
    Click for Red House, West Virginia Forecast Bailey
    Yuck, NOT wash a chicken before I cook it, I just couldn't do it, I"m very careful and always rinse the sink down with hot water. Been cooking 49 years and like the other posters no problems from cooking chicken. Judy
    False

IN GOD WE TRUST

After cutting chicken I always bleach the sink, cutting boards, knives, etc., anything that touches the chicken or water from the chicken gets bleached.
    False
    Sorry, I don't think I could go without washing my chicken too. That is the way I was taught by my mom and I can't change now-lol.

Pat e:}
    False
    Pat E
    I'd rather clean my sink than NOT rinse my chicken. I remember the days when we didn't even do that! No one has been ill from my cooking in all that time, so. . .I rinse before I cook, and I rinse before I freeze.
    False
    I, too, always rinse the chicken and parts before cooking. Got to make sure all those pin feathers are out. Immediately afterwards, I haul out the Soft Scrub with bleach and clean the sink. It's definitely one way to keep the sink clean. :-)

My mom used to tell me about staying on the farm with her grandparents and her grandmother washed the fresh chicken with soap and then rinsed. I don't go that far, but they all lived long lives to tell the story, so it must have worked.
    False
    No way I could cook chicken without rinsing it off first LOL. But when i'm finished handling it, out comes the bleach and all countertops, sinks, utensils..... anything that touched it all gets bleached. And i'm also one of those that puts a few drops of bleach in my dishwater.
    False
    And I dont know how everyone else does it, but i have large, usually qt or pt colored bottles (cobalt blue is my favorite)with a pourer on the top like the ones used in bars to pour liquor. I have one for my dishwashing soap, one for bleach, and one for my powdered soap for the dishwasher. They look pretty sitting on the sink and when i need something, i just grab whatever bottle i need and turn it upside down, usually dispensing about an ounce of whatever is in it.
    False
    I always wash my chicken. I have never quite understood why chicken has any more salmonella contamination than any other meat. Does any one know the answer to this?

Barb
    False

Barb, Maybe chickens have more because of their size and the way they are bred and transported. Have you ever seen an 18 wheeler filled with chicken cages from top to bottom? All the feces drop through the wire cages onto the chickens and cages below them. It spreads everywhere.

Those same trucks and cages are used over and over. I'm sure they clean them, but it's probably just about impossible to remove it all.

False
    Sounds gross, doesn't it. Yes, I live next to a farm that raises chickens--not for eating, but egg laying. But they are taken away each year and I'm sure they are eaten by somebody.

Barb
    False
    when we visited my DH's aunt and uncle in Colorado years ago on Sunday after church Aunt Mary went out in the farm yard and killed two chickens, plucked and cleaned them and then brought them in and washed them with soap and water. My then 6 and 2 year old children were amazed that was where chickens came from and I was amazed that she used soap to clean. She then made fried chicken that was absolutely fantastic.
    False