CAN YOU FREEZE WALNUTS? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

CAN YOU FREEZE WALNUTS?

Last post Apr 15, 2007 10:55 AM by Janra . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • CAN YOU FREEZE WALNUTS?
    I bought a large bag of walnuts, from Cost Co and am left with so many.

Can I freeze them without altering their taste or texture?

Thanks
    Kathy
    False
  • RE: CAN YOU FREEZE WALNUTS?
    Yes you can. I keep all kinds in the freezer so they don't get rancid.

Lois
    False

Same here. All my nuts go into the freezer.

Mellissa
    False

YES !! I do it all the time! I keep all the nuts, choclate chips etc in the fridg.

kate
    False
    What is the shelf life for those walnuts if they weren't put in the freezer right away?

Will I be able to tell by smell?
    Kathy
    False
    I have two walnut trees, every fall I shell all my walnuts (a HUGE job), then freeze for baking until the next harvest. Linda
    False
    Storing
    Because walnuts contain oil, they easily turn rancid. Exposure to light, moisture or heat will reduce their shelf-life. Shelled walnuts will stay fresh in their original sealed bag or tin for an extended length of time. Once opened, they should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. For long-term storage, freeze shelled walnuts in airtight plastic bags or freezer containers. Walnuts thaw quickly at room temperature. Walnuts in the shell should be stored in a cool, dry place. Either shell the walnuts just before using, or shell and store them as directed above.

Walnut oil should be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. To prevent rancidity, refrigeration is best.

False