<b>Dumb ? of the Day -- Difference between hot sauce and tabasco sauce?</b> | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dumb ? of the Day -- Difference between hot sauce and tabasco sauce?

Last post Mar 01, 2004 10:51 AM by bucks_fanatic . 32 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 123
  • Dumb ? of the Day -- Difference between hot sauce and tabasco sauce?
    I was going to make the hot wing dip that's been posted here on the BB for tonight's hockey game -- BUT I only have tabasco sauce and not hot sauce, which is what it calls for. Any suggestions? Is there a huge difference in the heat of these two? My hubby and my girlfriend both have wussy mouths, so if the tabasco is lots hotter, then I need to know!

Halp! *smile*

Thank you!
    ~~susie.
    False

• RE: Dumb ? of the Day -- Difference between hot sauce and tabasco sauce?
    BUMP
    for Susie
    False
    Tabasco isnt as hot as hot sauce!Save me some of that dip your making! Take care!
    False
    Not as hot? Yikes? This recipe calls for a HALF CUP
    False

It's the same thing. Tabasco is just grown on an island. Louisiana hot sauce etc are all pretty much the same.
    BJ
    False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

WOW ... 1/2 a cup ........ now that sounds REALLY hot.

Eileen
    False
    OOPs! LOL....this recipe calls for a HALF CUP of hot sauce. That can't be right, then!? The bottle of tabasco is only two ounces!

Hmmmm...maybe I'm NOT making this dip for tonight. A half cup of anything hot is going to make Steve run in the other direction!

Eileen, thanks for the bump, and WackyJack, thanks for the reply!

~~susie.
    False

Suzy, I use tobasco and it really hot. Franks hot sauce is also really hot. To tone them down mix with melted butter or marg. The more marg the less heat so taste at 3 -1 and if still to hot add more marg.. How are you going to cook them? Bake or deep fry? Sounds good, everyone here went to arena football so I get to cook and play on here.

Hope this helps.
    Toni
    ck1mom
    False
    Suzy, Tabasco is hotter than many hot sauces Try going to Tabasco.com & checking them out. What brand does your recipe call for?
    False
    NOT dumb! I wonder that often. I gave up using Tabasco sauce when I found one called Tapatio. It is better flavor and not as watery (IMHO).
    But I think you can also look near the "taco sauce" and find one that is called "hot sauce" that might do.
    False
    This isn't for wings, it's just a chicken dip. I'll post the recipe. If hot sauce is THAT hot, I can't imagine a half a cup, even for hot-lovers!

I know several people on the BB have made this and raved about it, but yikes, I lot hot, but this is....?

Posted by: mary217 Replies: 0 Posted on: 2/13/2004 6:02:40 AM
    #T303173
    Hot Wing Dip

2 large cans of canned chicken meat
    2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
    1 cup ranch dressing
    1/2 cup of hot sauce (you made add more if you like)
    Directions:

Mix all the ingredients together. Place in baking dish and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes at 350*.

Serve with crackers, corn chips, or celery.
    False

Maybe the ranch dressing tones it down. I only use Louisiana hot sauce but can't imagine using a half cup. Start small and add as you taste.
    Elizabeth
    False
    Susie just make up your recipe and add the tabasco to taste. It will shake out in drops. Thats how I always use tabasco no matter what the recipe says even when it call for tabasco.
    Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

i make something similar to this and use what is labeled wing sauce for the hot sauce. it comes in i think 12 oz bottles (don't have any right now to look at and do not remember the name) and i use a full cup! obviously it other things mixed in with it besides tobasco.
    False
    Thank you, everyone! I'm going to try and fumble my way through it and I'll let you all know!

I'll keep a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case!

~~susie.
    False