ISO Buca di Beppo Meatball Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO Buca di Beppo Meatball Recipe

Last post May 07, 2007 1:38 PM by quiltrmom_nh . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • ISO Buca di Beppo Meatball Recipe
    We went to Buca's in Washington, DC last week because I recognized the name from some posts on this board. We had a great time (wish there was one nearer to home in NH). Does anyone have the recipe for the meatballs? I found recipes for some of the other things we ordered, but not the meatballs. Thanks in advance.
    False
  • RE: ISO Buca di Beppo Meatball Recipe
    I have not tried this, found it through google. Waving from Derry!

Buca di Beppo's Restaruant Meatballs / MB Sauce

2 1/2 lbs. gr. beef lean
    1/2 c. grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
    3/4 c. dry Italian –style bread crumbs
    4 large eggs
    1/4 c. chopped garlic
    2 tsps. salt
    Meatball Sauce -see below
    1 Lb. Spaghetti
    1/4 C. grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
    1/4 c. chopped fresh basil

Large bowl combine ground meat, Romano cheese, bread crumbs eggs garlic and salt mix well. Shape into meatballs size of golf balls. The restaruant is noted for large large Meatballs! Use all of the meat mixture - makes about 35 meatballs. Set meatballs aside and let rest for approximately 1 hour. Cook meatballs in the sauce below

Meatball sauce

6 garlic cloves…sliced thinly
    1 large Spanish onion…diced into 1/4 inch slices
    1 celery stalk…..chopped
    1 carrot….chopped
    1/4 c. plus 2 T. olive oil
    1/4 c. Flat parsley,. . .chopped fresh
    2 – 28 oz. cans plum tomatoes with juice
    Salt - pepper to taste . . . . pinch of red crushed pepper optional
    Large pan or casserole sauté over medium heat the garlic onion celery and carrot in olive oil till translucent Ad parsley Perk up tomatoes with you hands and add with all of the tomato juice to the pan. Add salt and pepper .. bring to boil lower heat and add meatballs. Be prepared the sauce will significantly increase in volume but then it will reduce back by 1/3 by the end of cooking . . about 45 minutes - about 6 cups
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

I also found it with this note after the ground beef on Recipe Link:

(mix equally ground pork, veal, and beef hjm notes)

Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Thanks Jolene. I found this one, too. I guess I am hoping for someone's personal experience. If all else fails, I will go with this one. Sure wish we had a Buca's closer to US! Waving back from Strafford! Karen
    False
    I don't have a recipe but seeing Buca's is making me drool!! It's my absolute favorite place to eat!! We had one about an hour away but it shut down for some reason. Now there isn't even one in my state :~(
    False
    I have a question about the recipe. What do you think "perk up the tomatoes with you(r) hands mean?" Pick them up? Without the juice?
    chefly
    False
    I compared what Jolene copied from the recipe that she found on google, and my Buca di Beppo cookbook. The original poster from where Jolene got her recipe had a typo. It should read:

Break up the tomatoes with your hands and add, with all of the tomato juice, to the pan.

I didn't compare the entire recipe with what is in the cookbook.

Hope this helps.

Brenda
    False
    Thank you Brenda, that makes it much easier.
    chefly
    False
    Brenda--How about the rest of the recipe that Jolene found? Is it accurate? Thanks. Karen
    False
    Yes, the person who typed this was changing the wording a little just so it isn't a copywrited thing. But, it does say in the book under meatball sauce ingredients to use 1/4 c. chopped fresh ITALIAN parsley.

And, under the Spaghetti and Meatballs, after it reads "cook the meatballs in the meatball sauce", it says to cook spaghetti until al dente, then drain. Toss the pasta w/some of the sauce. That's something that I think we all know. But it says then to garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil (probably originally it only showed those items under the list of ingredients) but again, we probably know that much.

Apparently the cookbook I have is authentic, says on the cover "including 100% authentic Italian recipes". When I purchased the book a couple yrs. ago the guy at the bookstore said his buddy used to work at Buca. They made the employees BUY the book! The cover is neat because the word "Buca" is in fuzzy letters - lol! I think the book is now out of print, but I'll try to remember to ask the next time I eat there.

Brenda
    False
    Thanks Brenda. Interesting information about that cookbook.
    chefly
    False
    You're welcome, chefly. I keep thinking I'll get around to trying the chicken saltimboca because that's my favorite thing to eat there, but the spaghetti and meatballs is the close second. We order both dishes, and gladly take the leftovers home. They now have smaller portions because before, it was just too much food if only two people were going there for a meal. And, they are now open for lunches, too.

Brenda
    False
    Thanks so much Brenda. I really appreciate it. As I mentioned, this was our first visit and there are none near us. We did enjoy it and took away so much food that we ate in our hotel room then next night and STILL had leftovers!
    False