~~I Have Tenderized Top Round Steak - How Do I Cook This~~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

~~I Have Tenderized Top Round Steak - How Do I Cook This~~

Last post May 18, 2007 11:15 AM by hot_tomato . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • ~~I Have Tenderized Top Round Steak - How Do I Cook This~~
    I bought some Boneless Top Round Steak, and I had the butcher tenderize it for me.

How would you cook this?

I'm trying to pay less at the grocery store. I really have no idea how to cook this.

Please help. Thank you, thank you!!

Angie
    False
  • RE: ~~I Have Tenderized Top Round Steak - How Do I Cook This~~
    Bumping for help.

Can anyone out there advise me?

I'm very afraid I'm going to ruin this cut of meat cooking it wrong.
    (experience speaking)

Thanks to any who can help me.

Angie
    False
    Cook it like you would a swiss steak,. . slow and with gravy mixture
    False
    Hi!

Do you mean with chopped celery, onion, cornstarch, tomatoes...in the oven?

I'm sorry to be dense, but our pursestrings have been very tight and I've been a chicken, ground beef or pork kinda cook for loooong time now.

Swear I've forgotten how to cook REAL meat.

Angie
    False
    I am curious as to why you had the round steak tenderized in the first place? I always BBq a round steak or make Swiss Steak or stir fry with it. Tenderized, I had no idea.

Marlene
    False
    Yes,

I guess I could've stir-fried.

We're stir fryed out, I've done this a couple times in last 2 months.

Have been waning for cube steak, but no room in budget. Am trying to make do with this.

Anyhoo...
    False
    I think I would dip it in egg then cracker crumbs, brown it in oil then put into a crock pot.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    If the steak is not real thick, you could do Chicken Fried Steak.

Sprinkle with some of Paula Deen's House Seasoning (recipe below), dredge with flour, dip in an egg wash, then once again in flour. Fry in about 1/2 inch of hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Don't overcook or you will have shoe leather. Serve with mashed potatoes, cream gravy, rolls and a salad. Lip-smacking good meal.

Paula Deen's House Seasoning

1 cup salt
    1/4 cup black pepper
    1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

This seasoning good on almost any meat. I use it on chicken, pork chops, beef roasts, etc.
    False
    LOL at Alta. Ha ha "shoe leather".

That's funny.

Well, not THAT funny, as I have eaten "shoe leather".

Chicken Fried Steak sounds really, really good right now.

I'll have to read my books to see which wheat-free flour works best for coating and frying to serve to our food allergic kids.

Also, if I crock it, do I add liquid? Or just crock the meat and cook?

Thanks!!

Angie
    False
    Um, one more question.

Our kids can't have egg. So would something else work as well as an egg-wash?

It's purpose is to help the flour stick and cook crunchy, right?

Would a thin ketchup-glaze work instead of egg-wash?

Please don't hesitate to tell me differently here!!!!

I really want to know. (I really, really miss cooking with real ingredients. Oh well.)

Angie
    False
    Cooking this kind of meat usually needs liquid and slow cooking. So us a slow cooker or crock pot. If you like swiss steak you put in a can of tomatoes with green pepper and onion. Cook on low for about 4 hours or until meat is tender. If you like steak in brown gravy cook it in beef broth and when done thicken broth with cornstarch or flour. You can add fresh or canned mushrooms too. Just cook in any liquid you like. Lots of possiblities.
    False
    Angie we're having round steak for supper tonight. Here's what I do. I cut the steak into portions. Roll in flour and brown in a bit of oil. Take steak out. Add a couple of sliced onions and saute till tender. Put steak back in pan and add enough beef broth or rehydrated bullion to cover. Cover with a lid or foil and put in a 350° for at least 60 minutes. Tonight I'm adding some sliced carrots before it all goes in the oven. When the meat is tender I'm adding a can peas that has been drained. I'll simmer it on top of the stove until the peas are warmed through.

My Mom used to put a can of peas and carrots in before putting in the oven. When the meat was tender she would top the pan with refrigerated dinner rolls (like Grands) and put back in the oven. She would continue to bake until the rolls were browned. We really liked that when we were kids. Carol
    False

Carol

Oh,

these all sound so good!

I can't dredge in flour because of one child's wheat allergy. But maybe I can use a rice flour for coating.

MMmmmm. Thanks so much to all responders!

Everyone, thanks for taking the time to reply!!! Is very appreciated.

Angie

False
    I always have mine tenderized. I cut it in serving size pieces, flour both sides really good and dot with a stick of butter. Bake for 1 hour covered in a 350° oven. Remove covering. Mix one can cream of mushroom soup with one can of milk. Pour over meat and bake uncovered for about 1/2 hour. The mushroom soup makes a wonderful gravy.

Debbie
    False
    I lay out two large pieces of aluminum foil. Put the steak on it. Add squares of butter or margrine. Add 1 jar of drained sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1 envelope of onion soup mix. fold one layer of foil around it to seal and then fold the other layer of foil around it. Bake at 325º for 1½-2 hrs. Very good.
    False