Can I Freeze Broccoli Slaw??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can I Freeze Broccoli Slaw???

Last post May 20, 2007 10:37 AM by rqjanet . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Can I Freeze Broccoli Slaw???
    I have 3/4 a bag, and won't be able to eat it all before it goes bad. It is shredded broccoli and carrots. Has anyone froze it successfully? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: Can I Freeze Broccoli Slaw???
    I haven't frozen it but you will have to cook it after it has been frozen because it will be limp. You should actually parboil it first for a few seconds and I mean seconds then plunge it into an ice bath or rinse it in cold water.
    Why don't you use the recipe for freezer cole slaw but use the broccoli slaw instead of cabbage? That would take care of it and the freezer cole slaw is delicious.

Posted by: TriainAtlanta Posted on: 6/30/2005 1:07:55 PM
    #R5962265
    This is my tried and true - it's wonderful!
    Tria

FREEZER SLAW (I have never frozen it but it does keep in the refrigerator very well!)

1 large head cabbage - shredded or chopped as preferred (or 2 16 oz. pkgs. cole slaw mix)
    1 medium onion, chopped well
    7/8 cup granulated sugar (1/4 c.+1/2 tsp. stevia)
    1 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup salad oil - canola, crisco, etc. (1/3 cup)
    1 T. salt (2 tsp. or less)
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tsp. celery seeds
    Place 1/2 chopped or shredded cabbage in very large bowl. Add chopped onion. Place rest of cabbage (or 2nd package) on top of onion and sprinkle w/ 7/8 cup sugar.
    Heat vinegar, salad oil, salt, 2 tsps. sugar, mustard, & celery seeds to boiling. Pour over cabbage and COVER (do not stir) w/ saran wrap at once. Refrigerate at least 4 hours - overnite is best. Improves w/ age, can refrigerate for 2 wks. Can be frozen - but as I said, I have never tried that.
    Tria
    False
    Thanks chefly, for your help and for the recipe! DH and I don't care for vinegar/sweet slaw, but maybe this will help someone else!

Janet
    False
    I have made the freezer slaw and frozen it. Believe it or not it is still crispy when thawed. Very good.

Brenda
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    Janet, then just try freezing it. If it doesn't work you can always make a cream of broccoli soup out of it and puree it if necessary.
    chefly
    False
    Right, chefly, it's worth a try! If I don't eat it all up first, I will try freezing it. I had it in a whole wheat tortilla with hot sauce, diced onions, and chicken today. That was actually pretty good! I think I may try it mixed with Greek or ranch dressing tomorrow, with chicken. I may just use it all up after all! Thanks again for your help!

Janet
    False
    Janet, the way you made it sounds good.
    I made a recipe on the package I thought for a fruity slaw with cole slaw dressing, dried cranberries and some other stuff that was great. I didn't write it down because it was on the package. If it is still there you might want to give it a try.
    chefly
    False
    Hey, chefly! I just NOW had it mixed in with my roasted veggies, turnips, onions, garlic, carrots, po's, zucchini. That was EXCELLENT!!! Gave it all a nice crunch!

Janet
    False