What do you add to waffle mix to make it tastier? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you add to waffle mix to make it tastier?

Last post May 19, 2007 10:57 AM by Milwey . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What do you add to waffle mix to make it tastier?
    We love waffles for breakfast on the weekends and I just invested in a very nice new waffle iron. Only problem is, my waffles are kind of bland. I've used Bisquick, Aunt Jemima pancake mix and even some specialty brands.....they still seem to be lacking. What do you add to your waffle mix to make it exciting? Thanks.....

Kim
    False
  • RE: What do you add to waffle mix to make it tastier?
    I usually add some vanilla extract to my batter and cinnamon.

rabbiteer
    False

Instead of milk or water as the liquid, I use Sprite or 7-Up.

Sandy
    False
    Ginger Waffles:

2 cups of flour
    2 or 3 Eggs
    1 1/2 cups of milk or buttermilk
    1 tablespoon fresh ground ginger or 1 tsp. of dry ground ginger
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    4 oz applesauce
    1 tsp. baking powder (powder reacts with heat, baking soda reacts with acids)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    If you like sugar in your waffles, add a few tablespoons of molasses
    3 to 8 tablespoons of cooking oil or butter

False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    . Apple Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients. Add a cup of chopped, peeled apple to batter. Serve with warm applesauce & sour cream.

2. Bacon Waffles - Crumble a few slices of cooked, drained & crumbled bacon into the batter.

3. Banana Waffles - Add a chopped banana to the batter.

4. Blueberry Waffles - Add 1-cup fresh or frozen blueberries(thawed & drained).

5. Chocolate Waffles - Increase sugar to 1/3 cup and add 1 square melted unsweetened chocolate OR add 1/2-cup cocoa and a 1/3-cup sugar to dry ingredients. Serve with whipped cream and chopped pecans.

6. Cinnamon Raisin Waffles - Add a teaspoon cinnamon and a couple spoonfuls of plumped raisins to the batter.

7. Ham Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of diced ham to the batter. Sauté it first for better flavor.

8. Molasses Spice Waffles - Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/2-teaspoon of nutmeg to dry ingredients. Add 3 tablespoons of molasses to liquid ingredients.

9. Nutty Waffles - Add 1/4 cup chopped peanuts, pecans, walnuts or filberts. Toast the nuts for better flavor!

10. Orange Zest Waffles - Add a tablespoon orange zest to batter. Substitute 1/2 cup orange juice for 1/2-cup milk.

11. Pineapple Waffles - Add a cup of well-drained crushed pineapple to the batter.

12. Sausage Waffles - Add a couple of spoonfuls of cooked, crumbled and drained sausage to the batter.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    I always add more sugar & deffinitley some vanilla.

False
    Recipe found at mrbreakfast.com and there is a total of 103 waffle recipes here.

Cornflake Waffles

1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs - separated
    1 and 3/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat your waffle iron.
    In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cereal, baking powder and salt.
    In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add the milk, oil and vanilla and mix to combine.
    Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
    One more bowl... beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
    Fold the egg whites into the large bowl.
    Cook according to the directions of your waffle maker.

The cornflakes add substance to the texture... not quite a crunch... but you really notice and appreciate the difference.
    -------------------------------------
    Carrot Cake Waffles

1 box carrot cake mix
    1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    1/3 to 1/2 cup water
    2 Granny Smith apples
    2 tbsp. butter
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Sour cream if you want

Prepare the cake mix according to package directions, adding the chopped nuts plus 1/3 to 1/2 cup more water than instructed, making a thick, flowing batter.
    Peel, core and dice the apples. Melt the butter in a saute pan and, when it stops foaming, add the apples and toss over medium heat. Cover, lower heat and cook until soft but still slightly crisp. Squeeze lemon juice over the apples.
    Heat the waffle iron and spray the grids with nonstick vegetable spray. Use a 1/4-cup measure to pour a puddle of batter in the center of each grid.
    Cook the waffles until they are firm enough to remove from the waffle iron. Put on plates.
    Spoon the hot apples over the waffles. Top with a spoonful of sour cream if you're into that.
    False

Pineapple Waffles

1 and 1/2 cups flour
    1 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple
    3/4 to 1 cup of milk
    2 large eggs - separated
    3 Tablespoons sugar
    2 Tablespoons canola oil
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, egg yolks and canola oil and mix well.
    In a small metal or glass mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
    Mix pineapple pieces into batter. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
    Cook waffles according to waffle iron manufuctures recommendations.
    ---------------------------------
    Strawberry Grapefruit Waffles

For Waffles:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup milk
    2 large eggs - beaten
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 Tablespoon canola oil
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon pink grapefruit zest
    cooking spray

For Topping:
    3/4 cup sliced strawberries
    1/3 cup pink grapefruit juice - strained
    3 Tablespoons honey
    additional grapefruit segments - optional
    pats of butter - optional

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
    In blender or food processor, pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and zest until well sifted. Add beaten eggs, oil and milk and blend until smooth. Allow batter to set five minutes before cooking.
    Prepare waffle iron with cooking spray and cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Keep completed waffles warm in oven until ready to serve.
    While waffles are cooking, prepare the topping. In a small saucepan, heat grapefruit juice with honey until warm and well combined.
    Serve waffles topped with a little butter and strawberry slices (and additional grapefruit segments if desired). Top waffles and strawberries with honey-grapefruit sauce.
    False
    I personally don't like anything 'odd' added to my waffles. A nice light vanilla taste is all I want because it goes so well with the butter and syrup I put on them. I don't eat waffles that have things added to them.

However, having said that, I also have never used bisquik. I either make mine from scratch or buy the Carbon's brand name, which is what restaurants and hotels use.

Would you be interested in homemade waffle recipes? Much much better than any Bisquik mix. :)

False
    I love waffles and pancakes also. I add grated cheese sometimes and also corn. I think these are very good.
    False
    Millie Martel