Jiffy Corn Bread Directions | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Jiffy Corn Bread Directions

Last post May 20, 2007 4:46 PM by cjintexas . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Jiffy Corn Bread Directions
    I'm making a recipe that calls for Jiffy Corn bread mix and says to prepare mix using 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg and to bake in pan.
    I don't have Jiffy at home I have Hodgson Mill Corn bread mix.

Does the recipe on the Jiffy box normally call for 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg for cornbread? What is the baking time and temp.?

Thank you.
    chefly
    False
  • RE: Jiffy Corn Bread Directions
    geeze i haven't had jiffy cornbread mix in the cupboard in a while, i usually make it from scratch but yeah, that sounds right. 400 degrees 25 minutes i think. and for a higher crown, let it stand about 3 minutes before pouring into pan.
    False

lol can you tell i used to use it a lot?
    False

The mix I have calls for 3/4 cup milk, 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. oil, so I wasn't sure if it was the same as the Jiffy.

Thanks Footsie.
    chefly
    False
    Chefly - I have a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix in front of me - 8.5 oz. pkg. and it calls for 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk. I don't know if Jiffy makes a corn muffin AND a corn bread mix so I don't know if this helps or not. I also have a Martha White corn muffin mix (7.5 oz.) that calls for 1/2 cup milk or water. CJ
    False
    i looked again to see if i had one shoved behind something but didn't any.

if you're baking the cornbread seperately and according to pkg directions, i wouldn't think the brand would matter all that much.

if you're making a cornbread base and topping it before baking the cornbread, then go ahead and add the oil (something tells me jiffy mix uses 1/4 cup oil, but that could be a lingering memory from the bag of cornmeal in the cupboard lol)
    and add 1/2 cup of milk. if it looks too thick to spread in the pan, go ahead and dribble in a little more. i don't think it'll make that big a difference.

it's also possible that the hodgson mills has a few ounces in the package, thus the need for the extra 1/4 cup.
    False

cj to the rescue! thanks cj!
    False

I would do like you suggest, Footsie, make it up and see what the consistancy is - then add more milk if I thought it needed it. CJ
    False
    Thanks cj. I used 1/2 cup milk. The recipe I'm using it in calls for it to be crumbled, so I probably doesn't matter much. This is the recipe.
    Subject: Tamale Bits
    Posted by: piggykins Replies: 6 Posted on: 5/11/2007 4:35:56 PM
    #T825935
    Tamale Bits

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8x8-inch dish.

Blend together:
    1 package Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
    1 Egg
    1/2 cup Milk
    Pour in pan and bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Crumble into bits.

Combine:
    Crumbs-from above
    1 Egg
    1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce*
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    Dash Pepper
    2 tablespoons diced Onion
    1 1/2pounds Ground Beef
    1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
    Mix well and shape into 1-inch balls. Place in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

In a small saucepan, heat:
    remaining Enchilada Sauce plus
    1 additional can Enchilada Sauce

Top meatballs with sauce from above. Sprinkle with Monteray Jack Cheese.

Delicious served over rice or noodles.

*2 cans Enchilada Sauce is needed for this recipe
    False
    Oh Chefly - that looks like a great recipe. It looks like all you need is crumbled cornbread - I agree with you - no particular cornbread recipe would matter as long as it crumbled. I'm copying this one. Thanks for posting it. CJ
    False