White Wedding Cake, what kind of an icing/frosting? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

White Wedding Cake, what kind of an icing/frosting?

Last post Jun 19, 2009 3:07 PM by dreyfuss . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • White Wedding Cake, what kind of an icing/frosting?
    Am helping with a shower next week and thought the White Wedding Cake looked like a nice cake to bake. Not sure on how I should frost this one though, what kind of frosting does anyone suggest? Thanks for any help. Would kind of like a lighter one if possible, and thought of splitting cake and adding a filling. Any suggestions? Thanks, yet again.
    False
  • RE: White Wedding Cake, what kind of an icing/frosting?
    Posted by: Petalpushers_TN

WEDDING CAKE FROSTING

3 tbsp. flour
    3/4 c. milk
    1/4 c. butter
    1/4 c. shortening
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla

Cook flour and milk over low heat until thick. Set aside until cold. Cream butter and shortening at high speed for 4 minutes. Add sugar gradually. Beat for 4 minutes longer. Add flour paste; beat 4 minutes longer. Add vanilla; blend.

False
    Posted by: cinnamama Replies: 33 Posted on: 4/25/2007 12:12:11 PM
    #T820428
    I am making DD's wedding cake and have been searching for the best frosting and the search has now stopped! I found the best recipe yet. It is light and fluffy like I wanted. It works great for decorating or just frosting a cake. The recipe can be halved and you will have enough to frost cake. If decorating use the full recipe.

Wedding Cake frosting

1 cup butter
    1 cup shortening
    1/2 cup milk. (I used 1/8 cup cream and the rest 1% milk)
    2 tsp. clear imatation vanilla extract (can use pure dark vanilla)
    8 cups powdered sugar
    couple dashes of salt (I added this to cut the sweetness)

Cream the butter and shortening together until smooth, about 15 minutes. Gradually add the sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.

Cinnamama,

I have been using this recipe for years, aside from the salt.

I wanted to give ya a little insight on it though. If the weather is extremely warm you might try using light corn syrup to replace some of the milk. It does the same thing the milk does (thins it out) but it has a stronger peak.

False
    Raspberry Cream Filling

Posted by: Cali

Ryan's raspberry-
    creme filling is equal parts homemade white decorator buttercreme & seedless raspberry jam (we use Knott's brand).
    Taste & add more jam if needed to get flavor you like.

I'd read this idea years ago in Mailbox News & it worked great in Ryan's cake, eveyone loved it.
    Cali
    False
    Posted by: Cittie

Bavarian Raspberry Cream Filling

1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon almond extract

2 Tablespoon cold water 1/4 cup sugar 1 pint puree Raspberry's
    1 1/2 cup milk
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Sprinkle gelatin over cold water to soften. Heat milk to simmering. Stir in salt and two tablespoon sugar. Stir in softened gelatin until dissolved.

Stir in vanilla and almond extract puree raspberry's. Chill until slightly thickened.

chill until set.

False
    Posted by: Love2Sew

I have a wedding cake to do and the bride requested strawberry filling. I read on a cake decorating site that they recommend using strawberry preserves, so that is what I plan on doing.

.......... ...........................

Strawberry Filling

(Posted by: bebeblues )

Strawberry Filling

2 cups hulled strawberries
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
    2 tablespoons cold water
    3 tablespoons boiling water
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    Crush strawberries; add sugar and let stand.

Soften gelatin in cold water; add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved.

Stir gelatin into strawberries and allow to cool. Whip cream until stiff. When mixture is the consistency of heavy syrup, fold whipped cream into mixture. Allow to set.

Fills two 8" layers.

Yield: 2 1/4 cups.

False
    Posted by: Sassygrits___________Ohio

Subject: REC. REV: White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake is FABULOUS!!!

Posted by: Marshagillett Replies: 30 Posted on: 7/27/2006 6:19:03 PM #T712610 I cannot find the original person who shared this fabulous cake recipe and I am so very grateful you did! Please let me know who you are again. I did find a recipe from Foodguy through the search and it is very similiar, but I found this one first and tried it. So moist, wonderful flavor, very tender crumb. The best purely white cake I have ever eaten bar none. I will stay with this recipe forever!

Marsha

White Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake

2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 2/3 cups water****Substitute Whole Milk
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons real vanilla
    2 teaspoons almond extract
    2 cups sour cream
    8 large egg whites, room temperature

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan about half full. Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top. Cut through batter with a toothpick or tip of a knife to break large bubbles.

Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.

Sassygrits

False
    Forgot to mention I found the recipe listed, by whom I am not sure, in the best recipes from the board thread this morning, thanks.
    False
    Thanks so much for the replies, I am curious in the one posted by zakons, cooking the flour mixture, what does this do to the icing, does it cut down on the 'sweetness'? Thanks.
    False
    Posted by: pushinboots

My mother worked for a lady who made wedding cakes when she was a teenager (she was born 1904). She made this white cake many times and had worlds of complements on it. I asked for the recipe when I was 18 years old and didn't get it until I was 35 years old. She was very secretive with her recipes.

White Cake

2 C Sugar
    1 cup butter
    4 large egg whites
    3 1/2 C cake flour
    1 level and 1 rounding t baking powder
    1 t vanilla
    1/4 t salt
    1 C cold water

Cream butter first. Sift sugar before measuring and add to butter and cream with hand (she used her hands - not a mixer) until light and smooth and looks like whipped cream. Add unbeaten egg whites still using hand. Continue beating until creamy and smooth.

Add a small amount of flour and water each time and beat after each addition. When all flour and water is added, beat until you notice a good many air bubbles. Then add the baking powder which has been stirred into 2 T water. It will foam.

Stir in lightly. Bake in 3 round cake pans.

She always frosted the cake with a cooked carmel icing. It was very delicious and everyone wanted the recipe.

Anna
    False
    I can verify that Cinnamama/Debbie's white frosting is fantastic!!! I made it last week on a graduation cake & everyone RAVED over it~even people who "don't usually like frosting." It was wonderful & decorated well, too!
    :)
    Ellen
    False
    This recipe comes from our church cookbook from a lady whose mother catered for 30 years. Her specialty was wedding cakes. Her daughter says she has perfected this recipe so it will not dry out or flake when cut. If you would like the recipe for the cake part too, just let me know. CJ

Wedding Cake Icing:

2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup hot water
    1/4 cup white Karo syrup
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    Dash of salt
    3 large egg whites
    Large pinch of powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the sugar, hot water, Karo syrup, cream of tartar and salt in a saucepan. Cook to 250º. Beat egg whites until they can hold their shape but are not dry. Gradually add the syrup to the egg whites, beating continually until the mixture looks satiny. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla; mix well. Frost cooled cake.

For variations: The vanilla flavoring in the cake and icing can be substituted for any flavoring you prefer - lemon, rum, butter, orange, almond, etc.

False
    Thanks for the replies,cjintexas, sure if you would be willing to share this cake I would be happy to have it. Thank you!
    False
    You bet - here is the cake that goes with the icing recipe I posted earlier.

Wedding Cake

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup shortening
    1 cup water
    1 1/2 cup egg whites, unbeaten (about 4 large egg whites)
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Sift cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Add shortening and water. Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add egg whites and vanilla; mix for 2 minutes more.

Line two 8-inch or 9-inch round cake pans or a 9 x 13-inch pan with wax paper. Cut the wax paper to fit the pans and do not grease the wax paper. Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.

Lynnie48 - I just noticed that these instructins are not really clear on how to prepare the cake pans. I can't imagine cooking the batter in an ungreased pan but she specifically said not to grease the wax paper. I wonder if she meant for us to cut strips of wax paper to go along the sides of the pan as well as a piece going on the bottom? The instructions say "line" the cake pans - that almost sounds like lining the bottom and sides with wax paper.

I'm making this too hard - I would grease the pans first then put the wax paper only on the bottom. I know I've seen that method before. Sorry for all the typing. Good luck. CJ
    False
    bump
    False