Does everyone eat malt vinegar on their french fries, or is it just local to my area here in Ohio? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does everyone eat malt vinegar on their french fries, or is it just local to my area here in Ohio?

Last post Jun 15, 2007 10:11 PM by TheFlicker3 . 42 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 123
  • Does everyone eat malt vinegar on their french fries, or is it just local to my area here in Ohio?
    In this area of Ohio, people use malt vinegar on thick cut french fries. It's something that started at the french fry stand at Cedar Point. Locally we call them Berardi's fries and everyone eats them with malt vinegar. I was just wondering if it's just a local thing for our area, or, does everyone do this?

Mellissa
    False

• RE: Does everyone eat malt vinegar on their french fries, or is it just local to my area here in Ohio?
    Around here it's a big thing too, Eastern Shore MD. Thrashers are the fries at Ocean City that are big and people serve them with malted vinegar. Not me but all my kids. But then I didn't grow up here. :) So it's not just there. Wonder how many others do too

Jill
    False
  • RE: Does everyone eat malt vinegar on their french fries, or is it just local to my area here in Ohio?
    My first thought was Cedar Point before I even read your post!!! That's where I've had them!! (I'm up in Detroit)
    I also had them in London while in college many moons ago...and in Scotland.
    :)
    False
    I love malt vinegar on my fries. Funny! :) DH and I was just talking about this yesterday while we were passing an outside diner/ice cream stand, could smell the food as we passed!
    False

A lot of the carnivals and fairs that we have in the area have booths that sell them, but only a few restaurants even have malt vinegar on hand unless they're known for their fish and chips. I keep a bottle of malt vinegar on hand for when we have fries at home though, either deep fried, frozen or baked.

John
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I really like malt vinegar on my fries. A woman I worked with about 35 yrs ago (yikes!) was from England, and she put me onto it. Of course at the time no one around here sold malt vinegar.

Arthur Treacher's was around for awhile and had malt vinegar with their fish & chips. Captain D's and other places offer it.
    False
    Well, that is old age for you. You can't hear sounds that everyone else can hear and you can hear sounds that no one else can hear. Not really a bit problem until you begin to hear voices that no one else hears.
    Eating malt vinegar on French fries came from England. I was born in England to an English Mom & a US Dad. I've ALWAYS eaten malt vinegar on my fish & chips.

Carol
    False

Carol

Mellissa, I never heard malt vinegar on fries. I'm going to try some that way.
    Carol, I wonder if Welsh people eat them that way. My grandfather was Welsh.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Lived in Ohio a good part of my life and I can remember eating our fries with malt vinegar. Especially at fairs and carnivals. I have been in Florida for 15 years and have never seen anyone eat their fries that way. We have a lot of British people here in Florida. I'm sure they know about it.

Brenda
    False
    ~~ Brenda ~~
    Yup, Never have fish and chips without malt vinegar.
    Also use malt vinegar to make my home made mint sauce.
    Hugs, Ann
    False
    Here in Central IL we do that also. It is a big hit at the fairs.
    False
    Yes, I like them that way too.

The Jersey boardwalks sell them. I remember when I was little that was one of the "specialties" we couldn't wait to have during our vacation to the Jersey Shore.
    False
    I first had malt vinegar on fries on my first trip to a Long John Silver's in WV in the late 80's or so -- and then it was accidental b/c spilled from what I'd put on the fish. But it was SO GOOD that you know I had it again!! Now that I'm living in MN I don't see it done -- and had actually forgotten about it but this makes me want to get another bottle so I'll be ready next time I bring home some fries. Thanks.
    False
    I had never heard of it until we went to Rehoboth Beach 2 years ago and got Thrashers fries. I thought it was yummy but my kids and DH didn't like it. Oh well, that just means if I put the vinegar on I get them to myself! LOL!!
    False
    I love malt vinegar on FF!!! I am from PA. DH and I use both do the vinegar on FF. We found alot of fairs in our area offer vinegar instead of ketchup.

Mary
    False