Leftover roast beef any ideas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Leftover roast beef any ideas

Last post Aug 16, 2012 9:36 PM by buffetfan . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Leftover roast beef any ideas
    I made a roast last night in my crockpot and I have some left. Any suggestions on how I can stretch this out for another meal. Thanks Gail
    False
  • RE: Leftover roast beef any ideas
    shred and pour on the BBQ sauce, serve on buns...

shred, saute an onion and add beef...heat thru and serve on warmed corn tortillas with regular taco toppings...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

soup or pot pie
    False
    oops. meant to add fajatas (sp) too.

Sue
    False
    I like to chop up leftover roast beef, add a jar of brown gravy and a jar of chopped mushrooms. Heat through and serve over toast or with mashed potatoes.
    My kids loved this meal more than the roast beef when they were growing up!
    False
    I take pie crust or pizza crust and cut out 12" circles. Spread the meat over 1/2, sprinkle with cheese (DH likes mozzarella or cheddar). Fold over, crimp with a fork. Bake them at 400 for about 15 or 20 mins, until golden brown. Will do that with leftover stew also, or put it in a pie plate and cover it with puff pastry for a meat/veggie pie.

:)
    Jolene
    False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

French beef dip sandwiches...

Grind up, mix with gravy, top with mashed potatoes for shepherd's pie..

Hot roast beef sandwiches (meat and gravy over bread)

Mix meat with gravy, heat and serve over large yorkshire puddings.

We always make enough roast beef for leftovers as we love it all these ways too.
    False
    SHEPHERD's PIE for sure!!

Shepherd's Pie is an English dish, traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Americans typically make Shepherd's Pie with beef. The English (and Australians and New Zealanders) call the beef dish a "cottage pie". Naming conventions aside, Shepherd's Pie is essentially a casserole, lined with cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked.

1 1/2 lbs ground round beef (or roughly chopped leftover Roast Beef)
    1 onion chopped
    1-2 cups vegetables - chopped carrots, corn, peas
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs potatoes (3 big ones)
    8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
    1/2 cup beef broth
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice

1 Peel and quarter potatoes, boil in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).

2 While the potatoes are cooking, melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.

3 Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.

4 Add ground beef and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add worcesterchire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.

5 Mash potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, season to taste.

6 Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the potatoes as well.

7 Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.

Serves four.

donnac
    False
    I make Hash out of leftover beef and gravy. Cut peeled potatoes in small chunks, cook the potatoes with some chopped onion. Drain and add leftover beef, cut in cubes, and gravy. Heat and you have something good.
    False
    I like to use leftover beef roast in vegetable beef soup. Just chop it up, not too small because it will start to fall apart in the broth. Put it in a kettle with beef broth, and any vegetables you like. Sometimes I use canned vegs like corn, lima beans, diced tomatoes and then I toss in fresh diced carrots, potatoes, celery and onion. This is really easy and you can just keep adding things until you have a hearty soup you like. Sometimes I add tomato sauce and or juice. Season with salt and pepper. Great with salad and french bread. Makes a meal.
    False
    If you can slice it in about 3/4 inch slices, then make a batter and dip beef slices in and deep fry, drain and serve with anything your heart desires with them.Mash Potatoes are nice (as an Aussie we would be putting tomato Sauce(Ketchup) on them. Nice for a change when you have some left-overs.

We use any leftover meat except Pork for our Shepherds pie.

Bren
    False

Click for Geelong, Victoria Forecast

Roast Beef Casserole Supreme

2 c. cooked roast beef
    2 c. carrots, onions, potatoes (cooked)
    1 c. frozen peas
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    ½ c. sour cream
    ¼ c. milk
    1 small can French fried onions
    1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix beef, veggies, soup, sour cream, milk and 2/3 can of French fried onions together in bowl. Spread in 13x9x2 inch dish. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle rest of onions and bake 5 additional minutes. Makes 6 servings.

Mom2Robyn

Leftover Roast Chimichangas

1 lb. cooked beef or pork (can substitute browned ground beef)
    1 16 oz jar salsa
    1 16 oz can refried beans
    1 4 oz can gr chili peppers
    1 envelope burrito or taco seasoning
    16 8 inch tortillas
    16 oz. cheddar cheese (or monterey jack) cut into 5 x 1/2 inch sticks

Shred the cooked meat (should have around 3 cups). In large skillet combine meat, salsa, beans, undrained chili peppers,and seasoning.

In another skillet heat tortillas, one at a time for 30 seconds per side. For each chimichanga place 1/3 cup meat mixture, top with cheese stick. Fold in sides and roll up. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Can freeze in foil, bake frozen chimichangas for 50 minutes.
    False
    We like to grind (or chop) up the leftover meat and add mayonaise and whatever else you like (relish, onion, etc.) and make a sandwich. We like this better than tuna or bologna.
    False
  • Re: Leftover roast beef any ideas

I use my leftover roast beef for beef enchiladas. Mix the meat with enchilada sauce.  I use a can of hatch green chili and hatch red chili enchilada sauce. Add meat to tortilla (I use flour but can use corn) with some diced up onions and cilantro and maybe some con caso cheese sauce then roll. Add to a greased (I use PAM) cook pan. Add more enchilada sauce, once again I mix green and red chili enchilada sauce. Add shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese to top of enchiladas and black olives and cilantro and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until it starts bubbling around the sides. My family and friends love it.

False
  • Re: Leftover roast beef any ideas

I finely chop the roast.  If I had made roasted potatoes and carrots (if not, I just cook some up [canned carrots work, too]), I take a fork and smash them up.  In a skillet, fry up some chopped onion, then add the meat, potatoes and carrots.  Stir this all together and fry until slightly crispy.  Sometimes I'll add a little bacon grease to it if it seems dry.  This is such a good hash!  With catsup over it, it is soooo good!!  Or with eggs.  Or on a sandwich.  

False