Fabric tortilla warmers | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fabric tortilla warmers

Last post Jul 17, 2007 6:43 PM by Lrod . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Fabric tortilla warmers
    Hi, all! Last year at the Texas State Fair, I saw a fabric tortilla warmer, looked like a round pot holder. Can't recall the price, but, seem not worth it. Saleslady would 'not' tell me what was in it. The outer shells looked like quilted fabric, suspect the liners had (maybe) a layer of batting? Approximately 1/3 of the permiter was open for insereting the tortillas. Worked pretty good in micro-wave. Kept them soft n warm for long time. Since I sew, feel I can make one or two, etc. Has anyone ever seem, bought, used, taken one apart? If so, please let me know. Please reach me at "Lrodshy57@yahoo.com" Tnx 4 any/all replies.
    False
  • RE: Fabric tortilla warmers
    I have never seen one of those. When I have to heat up a tortilla, I put it on one of the spatter screens over my frying pan where the filling is heating and let the steam heat it.

Will be interesting to see if someone comes up with a pattern for you!
    Ce
    False
    "BeancounterCe"
    https://www.latortillaoven.com/information.php?info_id=2
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    http://mexicanfood.mexgrocer.net/cgi-bin/yahooExtras/refer_product.cgi
    False
    If you could order one and take it apart you would soon find out what it is about. Or experiment. I would maybe line it with layers of flanelette.
    False
    Dear, plumb, thank you for repling, however, I think you missed the point! "IF" I 'did' order one, what would be the point to take it apart? I would ALREADY have it! "Not worth it" is fairly clear! Now add s&h! No way! Sure, I could just buy the batting, fabric and put it together, but, since it is going INTO the micro-wave, do I use synthetic fabric or natural?
    Yes, shall check out those sites, but, doubt I shall order. Tnx again.
    False
    Sorry, but when I want to see something I order and make them for friends, family etc. Well worth it to me. Sorry I offended you.
    False
    Hey, plumb! I just found one! It was at the 'mex' site! Didn't order it, but, typed it in 'yahoo' search, and found all of my inquiries! Yes, I shall make a few for some of my friends, too! At least the ones who eat tortillas! LOL!

http://iandadesigns.com/318545_Microwave_Tortilla_Warmer.html

Explains to use ALL COTTON! Even has all demensions!

"Beancounter"! Here is the info I wanted. Hope u make one, too!
    Big hugs to both of you ladies!
    False
    I have had one for years, and really like it a lot!!! It is just two pieces of material, in a circle shape with bias tape holding the four pieces of material together. Two on each side. You can make them any size you want, I have made one to give away as a gift and used a dinner plate for a pattern. It came as a free gift when I had purchased something. You would enjoy having one to heat tortillas
    False
    JudyTN~do you moisten or butter your tortillas or just put them in plan?

Pat E:}
    False
    Pat E
    Mine is thick enough to be 4 layers of flannel on each side. Although I'm sure the filling is something different, I think cotton flannel like Alta suggested would be the safest to heat in the microwave.
    False

Friends are the flowers in the garden of life ~~ Bobbi Jo

Hello again! I bought everything I needed for making this thing of ALL COTTON,muslin for the covers and flennal for liners, cotton batting....except the thread! Now I have found this site which CONTRIDICTS the fabric!
    http://www.nmiba.com/News/Newsletters/05/2005_September.html
    It even has some plastic! And ALL made with polyester stuff!
    Think I am going to sew it together with poly thread and be done with it!
    Will someone let me know the results,... if you make one, too?
    False
    I'm so excited about finding this on the BB. I make hot pot holders for therapy all time for my family and friends and I think I could figure this out. I was a seamstress and had a line of squaredance clothes I made but I suffered a stroke in 2004 and lost lots of use in my left hand so the pot holders are good therapy. I had never heard of the tortilla warmers before. That is why the BB is so great as you learn things every day even if you are in your seventies.Thanks Peggy
    False
    I love mine! www.thewarmer.com
    False
    I do not put anything on the tortillas when I put them in the microwave. My warmers are made of cotton, two layers on each side. I made one for a gift, like I said, and used a dinner plate to cut it out. I then used bias binding on two of the pieces about 1/3around the top. Then I put bias binding on 1/3 of the other piece, left it without cutting and put the four pieces together, and joined both with the binding. You want enough room open to allow you to insert and remove the tortillas. Sorry about the late response.Hope this helps.
    False