Spaghetti sauce-tomato flavor too intense | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Spaghetti sauce-tomato flavor too intense

Last post Aug 03, 2007 12:49 PM by two4tea_MN . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • Spaghetti sauce-tomato flavor too intense
    I made a spaghetti sauce and the family is not really happy with it. Says that the taste of the tomatoes is too intense.
    Is there anything I can do to tone it down? We have been Prego sauce people forever and I just tried this recipe to see if I could make something that would replace the jar stuff. Not going well at this point.

Gail
    False
  • RE: Spaghetti sauce-tomato flavor too intense
    I bit of sugar will cut the acidic taste of the tomatoes. I absolutely LOVE this recipe by Foodguy.
    Foodguy's Restaurant Style Spaghetti Sauce

1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
    1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 of the 28 oz. can water
    1 Tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon chicken or beef base (or granules)
    1 teaspoon salt
    Black pepper to taste
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour until thickened. Serve over hot cooked pasta.

Posted by: foodguy: I just love this easy recipe! Its the best sauce I've ever had and we get tons of compliments on it. A Chef, whose family owns a successful Italian Restaurant/Party House shared it with me. It is a scaled down version of the one that they use to make gallons and gallons of the stuff each week. Now you purists, please don't laugh until you've tried it-it seems too easy to be true-measure everything into a pot and cook. We increase the batches and freeze it in 3 1/2 cup containers (about the same as a jar of sauce). The beauty of this recipe is that its basic and versitile. We've added meatballs, sausage, ground beef for just a meat sauce, used it for Chicken Parm, Lasagna, Baked Ziti, Stromboli, Sausage and Meatball subs.... and I could go on and on.

False
    If your tomatoes are acidic, it will make the sauce harsh.
    You can minimize the acid with several things.
    You can add shredded carrots and cook. Not only adds sweetness, but texture and nutrition.
    You can add brown sugar, but be careful not to add too much.
    You can add a couple diced prunes. They will add sweetness, and a melow flavor.
    You can add a can of condensed cream of tomato soup, which is quite mild. It will extend the amount of sauce too.
    You can also add some grated cheese. Parmesan tends to be strong and salty, so if you can find Asiago cheese, that works well.
    You can also saute up some onions until they are caramelized and then add some ground beef. Mix this in with the tomato sauce to make a great Bolognaise sauce.
    Have fun playing.
    False
    Oh, I forgot.
    Sometimes too much oregano is harsh. Try adding half oregano and half basil, which is sweeter.
    False
    Gail ~ please post the recipe you made so we can see if we can help ~

Foodguy's is excellent, as avidcook says - I try to make and keep it on hand all the time in my freezer since I love pasta and sauce!!!

pegg
    False

pegg

pegg
    False

pegg

False
    verushka,
    thanks so much for the hints. I had used extra brown sugar and that hadn't helped enough. I did use some shredded carrots AND the tomato soup and then the sauce was a hit.
    I hesitated to mention the recipe since I had gotten it from these boards and it has gotten rave reviews. Maybe it was just the brand of tomatoes (I used a new brand with no added salt) or it just was too different from what we are used to, so I didn't want to post the recipe.
    Thanks to all.

Gail

False
    Hi Gail,
    I'm glad the hints helped.
    Thanks for your reply and the results. I'm sure they will come in handy for others too.
    Vera
    False
    Gail,
    My mother always said if the sauce is to acidic to add just a pinch of baking soda. Not to much or you will taste it.
    J
    False
    Thanks for the baking soda hint. I'll have to mark that down for the next time.

Gail
    False